Considering Taking a Rural Med but a little apprehensive.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Audacious MD

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello I am a 3rd year FM resident. I was offered a job I can't pass up, the only thing is I'm required to do ER. We did not have much training in my residency program for ER, but I am required to do one day a week and one weekend a month. What can I do to get training additional training. It is a 25 bed critical access hospital with 3 patient visits per day. The do get codes and traumas, am I making big mistake by taking it? I will also be doing clinic and some inpatient which I'm very comfortable with, just not very comfortable with intubations and lines?
 
Hello I am a 3rd year FM resident. I was offered a job I can't pass up, the only thing is I'm required to do ER. We did not have much training in my residency program for ER, but I am required to do one day a week and one weekend a month. What can I do to get training additional training. It is a 25 bed critical access hospital with 3 patient visits per day. The do get codes and traumas, am I making big mistake by taking it? I will also be doing clinic and some inpatient which I'm very comfortable with, just not very comfortable with intubations and lines?
Youre a 3rd year now so you have some elective time i would assume. A trauma rotation, if possible, ER rotations and an anesthesia rotation. I would explain your future job to preceptors and what skills you are trying to gain. Try to do ATLS this year as well.
 
Youre a 3rd year now so you have some elective time i would assume. A trauma rotation, if possible, ER rotations and an anesthesia rotation. I would explain your future job to preceptors and what skills you are trying to gain. Try to do ATLS this year as well.
Thank you very much I already plan to do all of those except a Trauma rotation as this one is not available to me, any other options for that besides just ATLS?