Combined Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

none

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any place with stats on combined scores? The combined score, assuming all individual parts are around 8 or above, seems immensely important, yet I can't find stats on combined scores anywhere. I would REALLY like to know what percent of people with a combined 30 don't ever get in.

Members don't see this ad.

frankly i think the individual scores matter more than the combined. one could have a 30 combined, which seems competitive on its surface, but someone with 10s across the board will fare MUCH better than someone with 12s in, say, physical sciences and verbal but only a 6 in bio. that would be a HUGE red flag.

say someone had a 35 combined. seems great, right? but what if it was composed of a 12V, 15P, but an 8 in bio? wouldn't that 8 look bad in comparison and point to a weakness?

these situations are just hypothetical, of course. but assuming that your individual scores are all decent, then it would naturally, mathematically follow that your combined would be decent too; as explained above, this doesn't necessarily hold the other way around. plus some schools supposedly value the verbal score much more than the science scores because they assume that everyone applying has a decent science background.

besides, your MCAT score isn't the final authority on med school acceptance anyway. so percentages of 30+ candidates who don't get in won't necessarily tell you anything.