Combing military service time with post military govt employment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Creflo

time to eat
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can this be done? One of my advisors said there may be a way to combine time spent in military with time spent after military service working for a VA hospital or other government facility to count towards some sort of government retirement package.

Members don't see this ad.

Can this be done? One of my advisors said there may be a way to combine time spent in military with time spent after military service working for a VA hospital or other government facility to count towards some sort of government retirement package.

Yes. A friend of mine did exactly this from Army Finance Corps with 13 years to DA Civilian budget analyst. The civilian pay system is different, but you can continue Thrift Saving Plan or take it all out and put it into your own 401K and start a new one. I am not certain how retirement is calculated, but you would start at 4 weeks vacation. The HR people are supposed to know how this works, but a little research on DFAS or VA websites maybe necessary.

Yes. A friend of mine did exactly this from Army Finance Corps with 13 years to DA Civilian budget analyst. The civilian pay system is different, but you can continue Thrift Saving Plan or take it all out and put it into your own 401K and start a new one. I am not certain how retirement is calculated, but you would start at 4 weeks vacation. The HR people are supposed to know how this works, but a little research on DFAS or VA websites maybe necessary.

You can buy you military time into the federal civil system but not vice-versa.

Ed