Comfortable Dress Shoes for Women

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Chinorean said:
What really got me was the "Support and Fashion Hosiery for Medical Professionals"--do we really need special tights? :confused:

I've heard that they can be good for surgery rotations (so I'm told I'm only 3 weeks into 3rd year and haven't done surg yet) b/c they increase venous return and decrease the chance of syncope. Also if you have problems with swelling feet and/or vericose veins they can be good for the same reason.

Members don't see this ad.

Too lazy to look if this has been suggested yet or not, but I bought a pair of black lace-up Redwings that look like dress shoes, if you aren't picky about looking like a model or anything. I have flat feet and a tarsal coalition so I have to wear comfy shoes that fit like tennis shoes to put my orthotics in, so I gave up on the model idea. Anyway, I was able to wear these shoes with black dress pants in a doctor's office during a preceptorship this summer, and they looked just fine AND FELT LIKE TENNIS SHOES!!!! I highly recommend. They were about $120.

Oh, here's a link to what they sort of looked like-http://www.redwingshoe.com/productdetails.aspx?prodid=1726

Ugly SOBs for women, I know. But they blended in... I would suggest going into a Redwing store though since they seem to have a better selection there and through their catalogs than online.

PS I found during my preceptorship that no one really paid attention to my feet- and I could focus on learning/doing MUCH more easily if I wasn't constantly thinking about how bad my feet were hurting. I really love these shoes. I guess if you want to be Sexy Doctor you can wear heels, but is that really necessary? :)

Well, I guess if you want to wear skirts you are SOL with these shoes....

Ok enough rambling, good luck!

I just bought a pair of privos! by Clarks...they feel so squishy and soft and I expect they'll do the trick for rounding and consulting between several floors of the hospital, and following patients down to CT etc,...

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/16232625/c/3.html

Members don't see this ad :)
R*ckstar said:
What a great thread! I am in for the Manolo's with the first real paycheck!!!!

i already have a pair of manolos but sadly I won't be wearing them during third year. they aren't exactly pinnacles of comfort. I do however wear them for our once a week patient doctor stuff (a couple hours interviewing patients, little walking involved).

i do have some options for ladies who are ok with spending $200+ on shoes: -Prada sport (aka prada linea rossa) make great dress shoes that have a lot more support than many women's shoes. I swear by my pair and they are my "go to shoe" whenever I'm going to be on my feet a lot.
-taryn rose: luxury shoes that are very comfortable. they are designed by a former orthopedic surgeon. look for deals on ebay.they retail full price for $400ish...

someone mentioned stuart weitzman and cole haan. both make nice shoes but i wouldn't consider either to be particularly comfortable.
this post is for fellow shoe fetish folks. no lectures on spending too much money on shoes please....

I was at Nordstrom's during their 1/2 yearly sale and I bought 2 pairs of Stuart Weitzman's (one black and one brown) and they seem very comfortable. I also got an extra pair of black Cole Hann's. They are on a bit of a higher heel but they seem pretty comfy. I just can't wear plain flats...I need something with at least a bit of a heel.

But, I am having problems with scrubs. None of them seem to fit right. I like the Dickie's flare scrubs that have the little cut at the bottom but they seem a bit more fitted than typical scrubs and I don't know if that's okay. It just doesn't seem like they are the typical scrubs you see in hospitals. My hips are wider, and my waist is smaller. So the small scrubs fit well on the waist but are tight on the hips. BUt, the medium scrubs just look so big!

CarleneM said:
i already have a pair of manolos but sadly I won't be wearing them during third year. they aren't exactly pinnacles of comfort. I do however wear them for our once a week patient doctor stuff (a couple hours interviewing patients, little walking involved).

i do have some options for ladies who are ok with spending $200+ on shoes: -Prada sport (aka prada linea rossa) make great dress shoes that have a lot more support than many women's shoes. I swear by my pair and they are my "go to shoe" whenever I'm going to be on my feet a lot.
-taryn rose: luxury shoes that are very comfortable. they are designed by a former orthopedic surgeon. look for deals on ebay.they retail full price for $400ish...

someone mentioned stuart weitzman and cole haan. both make nice shoes but i wouldn't consider either to be particularly comfortable.
this post is for fellow shoe fetish folks. no lectures on spending too much money on shoes please....
Oh yeah I had totally forgotten about Taryn Rose. They are expensive but they are well worth it. Think Mephisto with style lol. Only thing is that they are Euro sizes so make sure you get the right size (they actually do some half Euro sizes tho). Another really comfortable, dressy, but expensive brand is St. John. They do all those wonderful, never wrinkle, knit outfits that are like $500-1500 a pop but they also make wonderful shoes. The shoes are typically around $250 and boots around $750-1000 but they are soo well made and way comfy if you can afford them. Unfortunately they are very hard to find if you don't live in a big city with one of the St. John boutiques. Some Nordstroms carry them, and some Neiman's but the best selection I found was at the Forum Shops in Vegas lol. (I live in Colorado tho.) Also ebay has a lot of St John clothes so you might find some of the shoes too. Just make sure that it's St. John knits and not St. John's Bay lol.

Skaterbabe74 said:
Oh yeah I had totally forgotten about Taryn Rose. They are expensive but they are well worth it. Think Mephisto with style lol. Only thing is that they are Euro sizes so make sure you get the right size (they actually do some half Euro sizes tho). Another really comfortable, dressy, but expensive brand is St. John. They do all those wonderful, never wrinkle, knit outfits that are like $500-1500 a pop but they also make wonderful shoes. The shoes are typically around $250 and boots around $750-1000 but they are soo well made and way comfy if you can afford them. Unfortunately they are very hard to find if you don't live in a big city with one of the St. John boutiques. Some Nordstroms carry them, and some Neiman's but the best selection I found was at the Forum Shops in Vegas lol. (I live in Colorado tho.) Also ebay has a lot of St John clothes so you might find some of the shoes too. Just make sure that it's St. John knits and not St. John's Bay lol.

St John clothes have never been my style, at least not right now. A little too preppy for me. However, I didn't know they made shoes. I'll have to check those out! Its so hard to find comfortable yet stylish shoes....

I just bought a pair of privos! by Clarks...they feel so squishy and soft and I expect they'll do the trick for rounding and consulting between several floors of the hospital, and following patients down to CT etc,...

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/16232625/c/3.html

I absolutely *LOVE* Privos, and most other things by Clarks. They feel like sneakers but, depending on the style, masquerade as dress shoes...and the slightly casual ones can do double-duty with scubs or professional dress.

Is it wrong that I swear by BCBGirls 3 inch stilleto heels? I have worked from 9 am-10 pm in them and never hurt. I guess it is what you are used to!

I'm probably in for a rude awakening in med school though...thats just my 2 cents :laugh:

:thumbup:

I find it hard to wear loafer-type shoes :( i'm so into my fashionable shoes.

Ugh same! Longtime ballet dancer here, so my feet can pretty much take anything..Will probably def change my mind once MS3 hits :( i feel like doing multiple days in a row in heels will just be too much.

I love Clarks. I've worn through the soles on multiple pairs. After interviewing several flight attendants, the most commonly recommended (at least by female attendants on Delta) seemed to be Aerosoles; got some low Aerosole pumps and have been super happy with them.

Hey ladies, feel free to send me pics of you wearing your shoes, and I'll let you know if they're dressy enough.

Reactions: 1 user
The dress shoes are quite pricy. But Franco Sarto shoe is reasonable. My favorite brand are Clark's and Dansko ( Their's shoes & clogs are non slip, durable and suitable for standing or walking all day). Why don't you try them? I'm sure you will feel comfortable to wear them.

Reactions: 1 users