Comfortable in small ER's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SansaStarkMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
With so many FM residents moonlighting in rural ER's and not losing their licenses, is it safe to say that most unopposed FM residencies prepare you to handle a small ER?

Members don't see this ad.

With so many FM residents moonlighting in rural ER's and not losing their licenses, is it safe to say that most unopposed FM residencies prepare you to handle a small ER?
I have not ever seen a resident moonlight in a rural ER. Urgent care, Yes. ER, no. I worked rural/frontier ER's for 5 years - never had a resident. If you want to be able to handle ER on your own then you take as make electives as you can during residency in ER to learn as much as you can. The residency isn't going to "teach you", you have to be pro active in getting the training you seek.

Oh, in my state residents in every FM program moonlight in ER's. Guess it's different here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, there is a difference if you are working with an ER physician who is there to help you. My vision of rural ER is where you are there by yourself which would not ever just have a resident covering.

Residents can moonlight solo in rural ER in my state (midwest). Not that I endorse it but they must be really desperate.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Because I know lots of residents? Lol

Don't mean to be rude but just a word to the wise --- I've been peripherally reading a lot of your posts and it seems as if you want to be a medical gunslinger, ready to ride into any situation with your MIKE-STOMP bag by your side to save the day --- at least that's the way I read it. Watch that mentality as it's going to get you in over your head and into trouble. That's one thing when you're making cornflakes, but quite another when lives are impacted by medical mistakes. If you want to be that much of a badass gunslinger, go into ER or trauma surgery, join the Army and deploy forward or go to work for the State Department and deploy to some godforsaken 3rd world country. I get that you're a 4th year student, full of piss and vinegar and ready to take on the world -- been there, done that --- but it seems as if you've already made up your mind and are looking for validation, rather than real advice when a whole lot of people are telling you to settle down and really consider what you're doing.....

But again, this and $1.00 will get you a coke out of the machine....

Reactions: 10 users
I work with lots of FP docs who cover small, rural EDs, both as solo and as double coverage. Some are rock stars who have never done anything except ER, while some are just there because they are required to be to have hospital admission privileges for their primary care patients. The ones with a strong interest in EM used their electives in residency for things like trauma surgery, peds ER, etc and use all their cme for things like ATLS, difficult airway courses, adv. burn life support, etc. At this point in your life Sansa you might want to consider a few options:
1. an unopposed "cowboy" type program like ventura, contra costa, or natividad for family medicine where the residents do it all (ventura is a great program by the way- I used to be a paramedic in that part of the world)
2. apply for an EM residency
3. apply for a dual FM/EM residency (medschool +this is what I should have done).

Don't mean to be rude but just a word to the wise --- I've been peripherally reading a lot of your posts and it seems as if you want to be a medical gunslinger, ready to ride into any situation with your MIKE-STOMP bag by your side to save the day --- at least that's the way I read it. Watch that mentality as it's going to get you in over your head and into trouble. That's one thing when you're making cornflakes, but quite another when lives are impacted by medical mistakes. If you want to be that much of a badass gunslinger, go into ER or trauma surgery, join the Army and deploy forward or go to work for the State Department and deploy to some godforsaken 3rd world country. I get that you're a 4th year student, full of piss and vinegar and ready to take on the world -- been there, done that --- but it seems as if you've already made up your mind and are looking for validation, rather than real advice when a whole lot of people are telling you to settle down and really consider what you're doing.....

Well said and bravo for saying it.

I made an account on SDN pretty much just to have the ability to "ignore"... well, let's just say, certain posters referenced herein. Then I decided that I'd soldier through their nonsense and file it in the "don't act like this in 3 years" mental file.

Well said and bravo for saying it.

I made an account on SDN pretty much just to have the ability to "ignore"... well, let's just say, certain posters referenced herein. Then I decided that I'd soldier through their nonsense and file it in the "don't act like this in 3 years" mental file.

Hard work, hard work <hard a work>
Hard work, haaard work

Up in the mornin'
bout quarter to three
<hard work>
Ranger sergeant tryin' to motivate me
<hard work>
They took away my faded jeans
<hard work>
and dressed me up in Army green.....

and so it goes.....

Yep. That's me. And what's with all of the background checks? It's kind of weird.

Yep. That's me. And what's with all of the background checks? It's kind of weird.

No background checks -- just watching you post several threads along the same lines and reading them -- it is a web forum, you know --- it doesn't take a rocket scientist to piece together the gist of several threads and come up with a reasonable idea of what's going on.....

Reactions: 1 users
SDN--Where dreams come to die.

Can I just chime in here? While I agree that there are some definitely unrealistic expectations going on here, you've gotta love the enthusiasm. Family offers a great breadth and sometimes it's hard to consolidate one's interests because of that. I've gone through the same thing and have asked myself many of these same questions (lots of "what ifs" and "is this possible"). I think the best advice has already been given multiple times--talk to real people who are practicing in a way that you admire. Learn how they maintain their skills and how the business side of it works. The FM SDN has a fair amount of family docs that have their very personal and regionally-biased opinions on how a practice should work, which is totally fair and valid, but also limited to those few that contribute here. It sounds like you know people or at least know of people that are doing some of these things (rural EM, global work, OB +/- high risk) so go talk to them and get advice. You will probably focus your interests in residency or be forced to when you start looking for real world jobs. Also, look into academics where having a niche is definitely an asset.