Comic Relief: This JUST happened...

Started by JayQuah
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JayQuah

Connect Four Champion
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So i am in lab right now, doing a DNA extraction. For those that have ever done this, the DNA comes out of solution as a big white spider-web looking blob.
I was taking it out with a glass rod, when it slipped out of my hands. The glass rod flipped up the DNA into the air.
I didn't see where it landed...i was looking everywhere for it.
Turns out, it was hanging off the sides of my goggles.
Anybody seen Something about Mary? :laugh:
 
Funny thing is... something similar happened to me... I was doing some experiment and misplaced a test tube full of radioactive material. Turns out it was hanging off of my sleeve!!! 😱 Don't ask how I managed to do that!!!
 
Just today I spilled bleach at the sink in lab and didn't realize it had gotten on my dark blue shirt. Later while I was walking down the hall, a labmate screamed like a banshee at the sight of me. That moment I realized the bleach stained my shirt a very bright pink and apparently from a distance it looks like someone stabbed me in the gut and I was bleeding out 😉.
 
I wrote this a few years ago after a particularly trying day in the lab:

Things I learned in lab today

1. If the autoclave has a preset setting for "glass" - it means exactly that. It does NOT mean "glass + the plastic bin that always survived the autoclave in the building where I used to work."
2. Removing melted plastic from the autoclave rack is a long and arduous process.
3. When removing plastic from the autoclave rack:
-- a. Do not burn yourself on the blazing hot metal.
-- b. Do not cut yourself with the exacto-knife.
-- c. Do not lean the rack in the sink, lest it fall over and activate the eye-wash, which rivals Old Faithful in its ability to spew lots of water great distances.
4. I am not the first person in the Vontz building that this has happened to. The Fukasawa lab has that honor. (Well, 3c is probably uniquely my own...)