Coming back to Canada after US residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rankin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I contacted the college of physicians and surgeons of ontario and the family physicians of canada. I was told that if you complete a ACGME accredited family residency (something which you need to compete for after you complete a known caribbean MD program) and complete the USMLE steps 1-3 that you are eligible to write the family board exam to obtain a license for independent practice in Canada (as a family physician of course).

I was told by the college of physicians and surgeons that after completing a US residency that the MCCEE or QE1 and QE2 do not need to be written in the case of family medicine and you can write the board exam provided you meet their eligibility requirements which I will reproduce here:

---

B) Graduates of Family Medicine Residency Programs Accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)
All applicants who are graduates of ACGME accredited family medicine residency programs who are seeking eligibility to sit the Certification Examination in Family Medicine must either be members of the College of Family Physicians of Canada or must submit an application for membership at the time they apply to sit the examination. They must be members at the time they sit the examination.
Applicants must provide proof of registration in an ACGME-accredited residency training program in Family Medicine.
Applicants from ACGME accredited family medicine residency programs are eligible to sit the examination during the last six months of their training programs.
Certification in the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CCFP)will be granted when the candidate has:
a) Successfully completed the CFPC Certification Examination in Family Medicine;
b) Successfully completed ACGME accredited post-graduate training in family medicine as verified by the family medicine postgraduate director;
c) Become a Diplomat of the American Board of Family Practice.

---

The only stipulation I see here is that to be a member of the college of family physicians of Canada you have to do additional training/assessment programs which their may be limited seats.

Any thoughts on this? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.