COMLEX 1 Experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buster Douglas

Unregistered User
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wow... that last packet sucked.

Just glad it's over. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

The BEST, though, was a friend of mine who got a question about how one would osteopathically treat atrial fib...

homeboy said:
The BEST, though, was a friend of mine who got a question about how one would osteopathically treat atrial fib...

I got 2 on how to treat diarrhea with OMM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok took it and left out of there feeling kinda on the fence. I talked to my study partner who's a PA and ran about 60 questions I was unsure about by him and I got all of them right except one so now I actually feel pretty good.

OSUDoc, tell Poppy that I said thanks for teaching me glomerular diseases and leukemias. That rapid review pathology book was money and got me a good 12 questions today. Oh and I had more cancer questions too he helped me get. Best 40 bucks I spent on a book this year.

I had one straight up biochem question on PKU. I had a bunch of graphs...one of which was some funky looking handdrawn picture of ion channels and they wanted you to play "place the 5 ions in their special channels" This made me go cross-eyed.

Micro was pretty straight forward. Pharm...you guys better brush up on psych drugs cause there's alot of it. I made sure I studied my psych drugs this morning and sure enough it was all on there.

Don't neglect neuroanatomy...had a bunch on there too!

Tons of cardiac stuff too, know your cardiac cycle and your heart sounds. In fact I dare say 15-20% of my test was cardiac path.

Tons of viscerosomatic reflex stuff too. Even had a chapman point question on the old prostate! :p

One embryology question, one genetics question on Turner's Syndrome.

Most importantly, I want to stress to you all that this is a clinically oriented exam. They have tried to make it more clinically relevant I believe. The COMLEX Qbank was pretty spot on with some of their questions.

Some of the exhibits sucked though...I agree. I had xray that looked like someone had taken a dump on the film. :laugh:

So anyway, here's to hoping I did well! Hope you all do well too.

-Richie

OSUdoc08 said:
It's Ed, flamer.
For as good as he is, man, his voice gets so annoying. His jokes are stupid, his laugh is the weirdest thing I've ever heard, and sometimes he comes off as a pretentious dick. He's probably going to save my score though so i can't hate too much, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he's annoying.

stochastic said:
please don't waste room on this thread slamming him. although it is entertaining, if you want to do that please go find another thread that he has posted in. people who check this thread often will get tired of filtering through this crap just to get to some information before they take there test in the next few weeks.

Thanks all
A bit stressed are we?? lighten up son.

Richie Truxillo said:
Ok took it and left out of there feeling kinda on the fence. I talked to my study partner who's a PA and ran about 60 questions I was unsure about by him and I got all of them right except one so now I actually feel pretty good.

OSUDoc, tell Poppy that I said thanks for teaching me glomerular diseases and leukemias. That rapid review pathology book was money and got me a good 12 questions today. Oh and I had more cancer questions too he helped me get. Best 40 bucks I spent on a book this year.

I had one straight up biochem question on PKU. I had a bunch of graphs...one of which was some funky looking handdrawn picture of ion channels and they wanted you to play "place the 5 ions in their special channels" This made me go cross-eyed.

Micro was pretty straight forward. Pharm...you guys better brush up on psych drugs cause there's alot of it. I made sure I studied my psych drugs this morning and sure enough it was all on there.

Don't neglect neuroanatomy...had a bunch on there too!

Tons of cardiac stuff too, know your cardiac cycle and your heart sounds. In fact I dare say 15-20% of my test was cardiac path.

Tons of viscerosomatic reflex stuff too. Even had a chapman point question on the old prostate! :p

One embryology question, one genetics question on Turner's Syndrome.

Most importantly, I want to stress to you all that this is a clinically oriented exam. They have tried to make it more clinically relevant I believe. The COMLEX Qbank was pretty spot on with some of their questions.

Some of the exhibits sucked though...I agree. I had xray that looked like someone had taken a dump on the film. :laugh:

So anyway, here's to hoping I did well! Hope you all do well too.

-Richie

took it today as well. we had the same test from the sound of it. why so much on prolactin? you can never learn your autonomics well enough. the graphs looked really hokey and unprofessional. oh well. my computer crashed in the middle, but they rebooted it and i didn't lose anything except my sanity.

I didn't seem to have quite the same distribution of questions that others have been talking about. Like, not too many psych drugs. Lots of micro and micro drugs. I'll go ahead and say it again... LOTS. As far as OMM, I was rather disappointed, not a single sacral dysfunction. Of all things OMM, I had that down cold. There were of course some obligatory facilitation questions, but not as many as others have mentioned. Most of the OMM was about treatments for specific dysfunctions. Not really obscure stuff though. Just kinda like ribs, vertebral dysfunctions at every level, fibular head, hell one on plantar faciitis! Quite a bit of neuroanatomy, but no great shakes there. If I could have focused more on one area it would be bugs and bug drugs (I know, that's two areas). But that was just my test. On my lunch break, I talked to a classmate that was complaining about psych drugs, and I told him I had boned up on them in the preceding days for nothing. Well, gotta go take a weekend off and then get back to the grind Monday. USMLE is in 14 days!

stochastic said:
I didn't seem to have quite the same distribution of questions that others have been talking about. Like, not too many psych drugs. Lots of micro and micro drugs. I'll go ahead and say it again... LOTS. As far as OMM, I was rather disappointed, not a single sacral dysfunction. Of all things OMM, I had that down cold. There were of course some obligatory facilitation questions, but not as many as others have mentioned. Most of the OMM was about treatments for specific dysfunctions. Not really obscure stuff though. Just kinda like ribs, vertebral dysfunctions at every level, fibular head, hell one on plantar faciitis! Quite a bit of neuroanatomy, but no great shakes there. If I could have focused more on one area it would be bugs and bug drugs (I know, that's two areas). But that was just my test. On my lunch break, I talked to a classmate that was complaining about psych drugs, and I told him I had boned up on them in the preceding days for nothing. Well, gotta go take a weekend off and then get back to the grind Monday. USMLE is in 14 days!

I had like 4 sacral on mine.

I took it yesterday and my exam seemed VERY different from other's experiences.

-I probably had 25 questions on drugs of abuse: identify the drug the patient had OD'd on, MOA, and treatment of overdose.
-About 10 biochem questions! Metabolic/storage diseases; diabetic patient takes insulin before eating, what enzyme is increased; the cofactor for this enzyme is formed in what pathway? (NADPH from pentose phosphate)
-About 2 embryology questions
-The strangest exhibit was an osteopathic inpatient form, where you had to look at the form and figure out what was the most likely disease the patient presented with.
-Very little straight OMT. Most dealt with disc herniations (2 with MRI exhibits) and where the likely deficits would be.
-Anatomy focused mainly on nerve injuries to upper and lower extremity; what vein drains cardiac stomach; lots of neuro/stroke/hemorrhage type questions
-4 EKG's, all straightforward
-About 2 parasite questions, one dealt with a man who was hunting boars and answer choices included 4 parasites I had never seen before!
-And as others have said, lots of psych drugs; a lot of mine as I said before were based around drugs of abuse

Glad that's over! Now I have 6 days to prepare for USMLE....oh joy....

Pegasus52082 said:
I took it yesterday and my exam seemed VERY different from other's experiences.

-I probably had 25 questions on drugs of abuse: identify the drug the patient had OD'd on, MOA, and treatment of overdose.
-About 10 biochem questions! Metabolic/storage diseases; diabetic patient takes insulin before eating, what enzyme is increased; the cofactor for this enzyme is formed in what pathway? (NADPH from pentose phosphate)
-About 2 embryology questions
-The strangest exhibit was an osteopathic inpatient form, where you had to look at the form and figure out what was the most likely disease the patient presented with.
-Very little straight OMT. Most dealt with disc herniations (2 with MRI exhibits) and where the likely deficits would be.
-Anatomy focused mainly on nerve injuries to upper and lower extremity; what vein drains cardiac stomach; lots of neuro/stroke/hemorrhage type questions
-4 EKG's, all straightforward
-About 2 parasite questions, one dealt with a man who was hunting boars and answer choices included 4 parasites I had never seen before!
-And as others have said, lots of psych drugs; a lot of mine as I said before were based around drugs of abuse

Glad that's over! Now I have 6 days to prepare for USMLE....oh joy....

Those of you who have already taken COMLEX I this year, here is a question for you...

How is the exam divided up. It is my understanding that there are 8 50 question segments. Now, are each of these segments devoted to a particular area of study... Lets say pharm for example, or does each segment contain random questions on any topic... OMT, pharm, micro, path etc...???

Shodddy18 said:
Those of you who have already taken COMLEX I this year, here is a question for you...

How is the exam divided up. It is my understanding that there are 8 50 question segments. Now, are each of these segments devoted to a particular area of study... Lets say pharm for example, or does each segment contain random questions on any topic... OMT, pharm, micro, path etc...???

Nope, there's a semi-even mix in each of the eight sections of crap, crap, OMM crap, and crap.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some people at my school said today's comlex was a killer... 35 percent neuro and really hard neuro at that. not the typical stuff u see. can someone who took it please write something thanks

Shodddy18 said:

Took the COMLEX yesterday. It's a mix of material within each block. The new computer format got the best of me though. On the sixth block, I accidentally clicked submit without going over my ones that I had marked, so I probably got 6 questions wrong and didn't even answer them. If it was a written test, wouldn't have had that problem, but hey, it's my fault. By the sixth or seventh block, my mind was gone. So, learn from my mistake. I don't think passing will be an issue, but it still kinda sucks. Overall, the exam wasn't too bad. It all depends on what form you get. I had some pretty good questions ranging from challenging (i.e. UTI in a 6 year old, what do you treat it with? Choices: Quinolones, Doxycycline, erythromycin, TMP-SMX, or clindamycin; can't give quinolones b/c tendon rupture, no doxy b/c teeth and bone malformations :eek: , i put TMP-SMX :confused: , i'm pretty sure that was it :idea: ) to easy (which of these activates lipoprotein lipase - gemfibrozil :D ) to odd (what hormone causes leg edema during pregnancy - i put progesterone). I felt pretty comfortable in the test, and for reference I had a cumulative QBank of 67% doing random blocks, but my percentages on questions closer to the test day were higher (70-80%). My study methods included First Aid, I annotated all the Goljan lectures into First Aid (took FOREVER), Robbins Review of Path (of course there wasn't much path on my exam and what there was was pretty easy), Katzung's Review of Pharm, MedEssentials (from Kaplan, I highly recommend it especially if you like charts), and Savarese for OPP. By the way, anyone who has taken the USMLE, you will view the COMLEX as much less in depth with fewer "tricky" questions. The COMLEX is like a family medicine exam, whereas the USMLE is like an undergrad molecular biology exam with some added medical pertinence. Good luck to all, of course we won't know for THREE MONTHS!!! Ha! :thumbup:

I think that taking COMLEX after you take USMLE is a good idea. I was really nervous during the USMLE whereas -- since I was used to the testing site, the second time with the COMLEX--things were much better for me.

MICRO, MICRO, MICRO
I had a lot of questions about diarrhea, bloody, foamy, smelly, frothy, watery -- definitely a smorgasboard of diarrhea. kid with smelly frothy diarrhea in a day care setting. What's the bug.

oxidase positive, acid stain -- there was a lot of that stuff. Unfortunately, 1st Aid only covered the very common bugs -- no moraxella catarrhalis or weird worms (can't even remember the name now)

I had chlamydia 2x and twice the person had Reiter syndrome.

I had about 10 questions on meningitis -- not too bad. I hope.
pictures of neisseria gonorrhea, kid with Hib. know the ages and MC

ANATOMY
I felt like there was a lot of anatomy I didn't know. I forgot what nerve innervated the big toe! GI arteries. Pelvic innervation. I wish I had studied anatomy/muskuloskeletal more. I got lots of brachial plexus questions.

NEURO
What I most remember about neuro was the drugs.
know the names of the different benzodiazepines.
know your antidepressents -- what antidepressant would you recommend for a person who didn't want to gain weight? SSRI
Person eating cheese and wine -- MAOI
What receptor is decr in Alzheimer
There were antipsychotics -- haloperidol, olanzipine....
I had one visual pathway lesion -- loss of right visual field. i put L occipital lesion.I had other lesion questions -- can't remember now though.
Kid with cerebellar dysfunction

PHARM
was basically neuro with other stuff sprinkled in
what do you give a person with ACE and htn?
What are the CI for ACE?
What do you give a guy who has mild asthma, is taking albuterol and still coughs most of the week? ipatropium? inhaled steroid? oral steroid? oral zifurlukast?
MOA daunirubicin -- free rads (I forgot--damn!!)
what drug do you give someone who has N and V from meperidine? I put promethazine -- something like that -- prokinetic drug. don't remember the other choices.
OMM
A million viscerosomatic reflexes. I was starting to mix up PANS and SANS towards the end. KNOW THEM BACKWARDS AND FORWARDS

SYSTEMS
I vaguely remember path and phys
COPD -- person with air trapped in his lung -- hard to exhale
CARDIO -- a few EKG. Someone had posted they saw a mobitz 1/wenkebach and both were a choice. I thought the same thing. still don't know the answer.
GI - hormones CCK, GI bleeding in elderly person
ENDO- diabetes mechanism-- vaguely remember -- there was 2 drug questions about it. a drug that causes hypoglycemia and a drug that doesn't --

BIOCHEM -- one kid with PKU
GENETICS - one mitochondrial disease

oh -- I love that they had a matching on calories in carbs, proteins, fats, and alcohol.

ADVICE: learn the algorithms in micro well. know neuro drugs well. learn viscerosomatics well.

I used Master's Guide to the COMLEX and I thought it was helpful.
What I thought was also helpful was the $8.00 book, there is also an pdf file of a COMLEX exam from 2002 that ROCKS, and using PRETEST for pharmacology Qs.

Good luck everyone!!!!

I took the COMLEX today and all I can say is OWCH. I am hoping to be able to pick myself up enough by Friday to sit for the USMLE but honestly I am just praying for a Pass on the COMLEX cause today was rough.

jmarra03 said:
I took the COMLEX today and all I can say is OWCH. I am hoping to be able to pick myself up enough by Friday to sit for the USMLE but honestly I am just praying for a Pass on the COMLEX cause today was rough.

Thanks a lot babe! I just finnished studying and felt confident... and you ruined it! LOL :scared:

Ill let you know how it goes tommorow afternoon before I start drinking!

Shodddy18 said:
Thanks a lot babe! I just finnished studying and felt confident... and you ruined it! LOL :scared:

Ill let you know how it goes tommorow afternoon before I start drinking!

AWW hun.... Yeah I dunno if it was an off day or what but it didn't feel good ( though that seems to be the consensus for some others too) I dunno I didn't get into my test groove must be because I miss paper and pencil and the good old seat in Alfond :)

On a side note at this point I wish I didn't USMLE on Friday and my drinking could start tonight....... I'll have to behave at RiRa's ( Providence)

jmarra03 said:

sorry to hear it..could you expand on your experience...did your exam follow the trends described by most people on this thread: lots of psych drugs, micro, nerve innervations.....thanks...good luck on friday...

Yeah I think it was pretty similar to Osteomed's format. decent amount of bug drugs, some mechanisms of action for the drugs, psych drugs were pretty heavy and also endocrine drugs. lots of viscerosomatic q's sacrum and ribs for OMM. There was quite a bit of cardio path on mine also.

Just finnished it!!! Yay me :)

Anyways, mine was different.

Hardly a single psych drug. Only 1 sacrum question. Very little Cardio.

It was loaded w/ endocrine ?'s. If you take the same one as I did you better know the thyroid inside and out!

Made a few stupid mistakes... made a bunch of educated guesses, some less educated guesses and a good number of completely uneducated guesses.

We will see!

No I wish I could just convince everyone who hasnt taken it that they dont need to study at all so I can drive my score up... but I'm not that kind of person!

Good luck!

CONGRATS Shoddy!

Weird how different all the exams are. I wonder how the heck they are managing to get a good picture out of all the variety ? Oh well . We are done with Step 1 ( hopefully for good!) and onto rotations!

:)

Janelle

DMBmatty08 said:
What resource is everyone using to learn "Bugs and Drugs"?

I used the bug lists in first aid and step up as a schematic and did the actual studying in Robbins. For drugs I used my class material.

I had this test as well, or one that was similar to it. One thing i didnt notice tho was the amount of micro that you had. I took it on the 21st of june, same day as you?

osteomedo09 said:
I think that taking COMLEX after you take USMLE is a good idea. I was really nervous during the USMLE whereas -- since I was used to the testing site, the second time with the COMLEX--things were much better for me.

MICRO, MICRO, MICRO
I had a lot of questions about diarrhea, bloody, foamy, smelly, frothy, watery -- definitely a smorgasboard of diarrhea. kid with smelly frothy diarrhea in a day care setting. What's the bug.

oxidase positive, acid stain -- there was a lot of that stuff. Unfortunately, 1st Aid only covered the very common bugs -- no moraxella catarrhalis or weird worms (can't even remember the name now)

I had chlamydia 2x and twice the person had Reiter syndrome.

I had about 10 questions on meningitis -- not too bad. I hope.
pictures of neisseria gonorrhea, kid with Hib. know the ages and MC

ANATOMY
I felt like there was a lot of anatomy I didn't know. I forgot what nerve innervated the big toe! GI arteries. Pelvic innervation. I wish I had studied anatomy/muskuloskeletal more. I got lots of brachial plexus questions.

NEURO
What I most remember about neuro was the drugs.
know the names of the different benzodiazepines.
know your antidepressents -- what antidepressant would you recommend for a person who didn't want to gain weight? SSRI
Person eating cheese and wine -- MAOI
What receptor is decr in Alzheimer
There were antipsychotics -- haloperidol, olanzipine....
I had one visual pathway lesion -- loss of right visual field. i put L occipital lesion.I had other lesion questions -- can't remember now though.
Kid with cerebellar dysfunction

PHARM
was basically neuro with other stuff sprinkled in
what do you give a person with ACE and htn?
What are the CI for ACE?
What do you give a guy who has mild asthma, is taking albuterol and still coughs most of the week? ipatropium? inhaled steroid? oral steroid? oral zifurlukast?
MOA daunirubicin -- free rads (I forgot--damn!!)
what drug do you give someone who has N and V from meperidine? I put promethazine -- something like that -- prokinetic drug. don't remember the other choices.
OMM
A million viscerosomatic reflexes. I was starting to mix up PANS and SANS towards the end. KNOW THEM BACKWARDS AND FORWARDS

SYSTEMS
I vaguely remember path and phys
COPD -- person with air trapped in his lung -- hard to exhale
CARDIO -- a few EKG. Someone had posted they saw a mobitz 1/wenkebach and both were a choice. I thought the same thing. still don't know the answer.
GI - hormones CCK, GI bleeding in elderly person
ENDO- diabetes mechanism-- vaguely remember -- there was 2 drug questions about it. a drug that causes hypoglycemia and a drug that doesn't --

BIOCHEM -- one kid with PKU
GENETICS - one mitochondrial disease

oh -- I love that they had a matching on calories in carbs, proteins, fats, and alcohol.

ADVICE: learn the algorithms in micro well. know neuro drugs well. learn viscerosomatics well.

I used Master's Guide to the COMLEX and I thought it was helpful.
What I thought was also helpful was the $8.00 book, there is also an pdf file of a COMLEX exam from 2002 that ROCKS, and using PRETEST for pharmacology Qs.

Good luck everyone!!!!

How much Derm, if any, has anyone seen on the exam? I'm trying to decide how much time to spend on it and what areas to focus on. Thanks.

Well it was a little harder to find the second time around but here is the link.

http://www.nbome.org/SampleExamL1.pdf#search='comlex%20practice%20items%202002'

www.nbome.org/SampleExamL1.pdf

hopefully that one will work. They also have one for step 2 and 3.

Good Luck

osteomedo09 said:
Well it was a little harder to find the second time around but here is the link.

http://www.nbome.org/SampleExamL1.pdf#search='comlex%20practice%20items%202002'

www.nbome.org/SampleExamL1.pdf

hopefully that one will work. They also have one for step 2 and 3.

Good Luck

How indicative of the real thing is that sucker?

(nicedream) said:
How indicative of the real thing is that sucker?
If the questions were as easy as that practice test, we would all ace it. I think I maybe got 3 Q's wrong on their website practice exam. In reality(my reality, anyway) the real test was MUCH harder.

HoodyHoo said:
If the questions were as easy as that practice test, we would all ace it. I think I maybe got 3 Q's wrong on their website practice exam. In reality(my reality, anyway) the real test was MUCH harder.

I suspected as much, and I took the test today and that suspicion was confirmed.

My experience:

LOTS of neuro. A WHOLE lot - about 1 out of 5 questions was neuro, either anatomy or path. Lots of bugs and drugs which was straightforward for the most part - be able to identify every organism based on path, the algorithms, and appearance and how to treat it. Decent amount of lower extremity anatomy. The OMM was very simple, and no craniosacral. Only 1 or 2 biochem questions. Good amount of endocrine.

As for difficulty:

My stats are:

COMLEX Qbank: 84%, 90s for last month
COMLEX sample: 100%
USMLE Qbank: 76%, 80s for last month
USMLERx: 75%
Released 150: 88%
NBME3 (3 weeks ago): 238

I guess the test was about what I expected. Not as hard as I feared and not as easy as I hoped. I marked every question I wasn't sure about, and out of each block of 50 there were 10-15 that I marked, and 3-5 of those I wouldn't be able to narrow down to 2 choices. There were a few "wtf" questions that you couldn't find in any review book, and I don't think are even covered in medschool. Overall I have no idea how I did because for a lot of it I was tearing through it, and then I would hit ones that stumped me. Guess I'll have to wait, what, 3 months? :(

Since they're waiting to release all scores, do you think they'll release scores from May, June, July, and August all at once (Sep/Oct), or do you think that May/June scores will be released around Sep/Oct, and July/Aug not until Nov/Dec?

surrender903 said:
i had alot of questions on conjunctivitis.

Yeah I had 3, which is a lot I guess for such a random subject. Did you take it yesterday? Wonder if we had the same test.

hey!
im doing a dual degree program so im do rotations with class of 09.

nicedream:
i remember a question about a woman passing out re: her drunk husband,
an autism question which was horribly worded.
5 EKGS on mine which really annoyed me.
some golfer who had a weird twist in his back

the last two questions of the day were about brain abscesses and the correlation was weird and i couldnt make it.

surrender903 said:
hey!
im doing a dual degree program so im do rotations with class of 09.

nicedream:
i remember a question about a woman passing out re: her drunk husband,
an autism question which was horribly worded.
5 EKGS on mine which really annoyed me.
some golfer who had a weird twist in his back

the last two questions of the day were about brain abscesses and the correlation was weird and i couldnt make it.

I had the lady that passed out and the EKG's, but no autism or golfer. I was talking to someone else that took the exam a few weeks ago and sounds like we had about half the same questions, so I don't think it's really that big of a bank. Good luck!

Hi friends,
I am taking USMLE next year. I acquired the COMLEX Step 1 2004 Books from my cousin. Is the information presented in COMLEX KAPLAN books same as USMLE KAPLAN Books?

I figured you guys would probably use both. Good luck comrads!

I mean how to interpret them, by double digits scale I am high percentile wise, by three digits, quite low. I just don't know what to make out of it.:(

I mean how to interpret them, by double digits scale I am high percentile wise, by three digits, quite low. I just don't know what to make out of it.:(

You can't tell anything from the 2-digit scale, ignore it (it's not a percentile, and as far as I know, mean and SD have never been released for it). For the 3-digit score, 500 is the mean and 79 is the SD.

Some sample percentiles:

25th percentile: 447
50th percentile: 500
75th percentile: 553
99th percentile: 684

Did anyone take COMLEX on Oct 30/31st or is taking in nov?? What are the stressing on now???
ThankYou!!!