SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Comlex 1 subject to ignore

Discussion in 'Step I' started by elz787, May 5, 2007.

1. elz787

elz787 Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Mar 5, 2005
    Hey,

I've been constantly told that for COMLEX 1,
    it is safe to skip
    biochem,
    embryo,
    most of anatomy and biostats and behavioral sciences

and to focus on path (systems), pharm, micro,and of course OMM

can anyone coment on this, I mean would I be hurting myself in trying to coverall or is it better to focuse on the high yeild topics,

THanks

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Megalofyia

Megalofyia 425 lbs and growing 10+ Year Member

Oct 13, 2001
    Missery
    I think that COMLEX is starting to incorporate more molecular/biochem level stuff.

I was told to know the behavioral science stuff cause it's easy points. Kaplan COMLEX books even have a book dedicated to behavioral science/OMM. Kaplan USMLE books dont.

Anatomy is the only reason I ever get any OPP/OMM questions right.

I have been told multiple times to know pharm and micro well.

4. Hernandez

Hernandez Paranoid and Crotchety... Physician 10+ Year Member

you may get by without hitting those subjects hard, but there will be some from each you mentioned, especially behavioral sciences from what I remember.

5. elz787

elz787 Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Mar 5, 2005
    what areas of behavioral sciences were tested,

I mean is it
    biostats,
    epidemiology,
    psych,

its not possible to cover it all, just trying to figure out what worth the time

6. Taus

Taus . Moderator 10+ Year Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Philly
    Definitely don't leave out musculoskeletal anatomy....even back to the basic stuff of innervation (especially the extremities) are supposed to be of decent yeild

But as for biochem and molecular....unless the test got a drastic overhaull in the last year....don't spend much time at all on them

7. Hernandez

First aid was pretty well golden for the little biostats, epidemiology, anatomy, and embro that there was.

And it is possible to cover all the subjects.

8. SOUNDMAN

SOUNDMAN Senior Member 10+ Year Member

May 16, 2004
    Midwest
    Even if you were taking the test in 4 weeks or so, you could probably cover all that stuff. You'd have to put in some time but it would be doable, as long as you actually learned the stuff the first two years.

9. predodoc

predodoc Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 7, 2005
    I have a few questions for anyone who's already taken it and willing to help out:
    1. When they say know pharm and micro very well, does that mean you should know the more common bugs and drugs really well or does that mean know pretty much every bug and drug?

2. Anyone know if the Appendix B in Savarese is High yield(the one with every muscle and its innervation, origin, ect.)?

3. Is the $8 practice booklet from NBOME worth doing and does anyone know how long it takes to be shipped to you(I take my test in a few weeks)?

Thanks

10. Hernandez

The commons are heavily tested, but know as many as you can.

Also know the facilitation chapter and the Chapman points chapter. Those were golden for the test.

11. yl99

yl99 New Member

Apr 12, 2003
    Hernandez,

Ive never heard of biostats, epidemiology, or embroy, being on the comlex, Would you mind giving examples of what was covered

I dont think my school even covered those subjects,

Please let me know if im wrong, thanks

12. Taus

Taus . Moderator 10+ Year Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Philly
    According to several of our profs there will be an increased amt of epi/biostats compared to previous years.....just look at that chapter in First Aid to get a good idea of the type of stuff that is tested....if you are really weak in this area then HY Behavioral and some parts of HY Biostats are really good and worthwhile

13. Hernandez

It wasn't heavily tested, but it definitely was there when I took it. And personally, I think they'd be remiss to not start incorportating at least biostats and epidemiology. First aid's sections on biostats should be more than enough.

you school does not have any biostats, epidemiology, or embro?