Comlex 2 pe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poormansDO

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can someone tell me if it is true that they take the best 10 out of 12 encounters with patients on the PE?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope. They only grade 10 out of the 12, as 2 are experimental. But they don't pick your best.

Nope. They only grade 10 out of the 12, as 2 are experimental. But they don't pick your best.

can not being proficient in OMT lead you to fail the biomedical/biomechanical part even if you do good at the physical exam and note taking parts?

Members don't see this ad :)
can not being proficient in OMT lead you to fail the biomedical/biomechanical part even if you do good at the physical exam and note taking parts?

There is no reason not to be proficient enough with OMT for the PE. The times you need to use it are obvious and it can be just you doing one technique on one region .

You shouldn't fail this. First of all the patient will say, "do you think you can do some manipulation on my back for me". This is a clue.

Next, you take the history, explain what you are doing to the patient. If you were to do an HVLA move, you set up your technique and then say "I would thrust at this point". Then you sit the pt up an recheck. Easy.

Just to clarify, while you could setup an HVLA technique and then discuss how you'd do the thrust you can't actually perform HVLA on the PE. Most students I know just chose something like muscle energy or an indirect technique that they could actually perform.

Anyone know how picky they are on your technique? On one of my patients I thought I'd mix things up a little, and rather than repeat something I had already done on a previous patient, I tried a lumbar muscle energy technique. However, something didn't feel quite right as I was doing it, and after the exam I realized that I performed it wrong! Of course, now I am worried because I'm sure the OMT part of this test probably is worth a big chunk of my grade, and I wonder if I will still pass even though I totally botched up one of my OMT procedures. :scared:

As far as the rest of the test goes, however, I think I did alright...

Anecdotal evidence from a person who came to talk to us about residency matching and the comlex 2 PE. She said to pretty much pick out 3 easy techniques you can do to everyone (She suggested pedal pump, rib raising and something else) and just do it to everyone whether they ask or not.

She also said that a friend of hers did proficiently on the test but didnt do a single OMT. He still passed. He was thinking they would literally go "I would love some OMT right now". They don't. Though they use similar (but slightly less obvious) lines. He didnt realize it and still passed despite zero OMT stuff.

I'm not really sold on the advice you got. You certainly don't need to do OMT on everyone and I would recommend not doing that. It is fairly obvious when they expect it as the patient basically will ask for it.

I do agree with picking out a couple of techniques and sticking with those. I just chose muscle energy and reviewed ME techniques for a few different body regions a few days before the test.

Do not overthink this test. If you've been fairly strong and personably up to now on rotations you'll be fine. The only review I did was read through some of counseling sections/"tricky situations" section of a USMLE step 2 book I had.

It's definitely dependent on the individual person but I didn't feel much need to review actual medical management type stuff from what I heard.

On the plan, can we put down medications we would like for the patients to start, like for GERD - Start Omperazole 20 mg BID, or is it just 24 hour manometry, or other tests? Do we just have to stick with just ordering tests, or can we treat someone also is my question... Also can we put things in our plan that I remember while writing my soap note but forgot to discuss with the patient (like lab work, ordering x-rays, MRI, CT), or I can only put things in my plan that I had discussed with the patient?

You can put down tests you would like to order or things you forgot to order before. You can also put down "discuss medication options".

I guess if you wanted to you could put down specific meds but you certainly don't have to. In your example I'd probably just put something like "PPI trial" or similar.

In my plans it was mostly diagnostic/test type items. If it was something like a bacterial infection I may have put "Start antibiotic" but I didn't get too specific with meds on there.

It's not grading you on your choice of meds or knowledge of dosage, but rather if you can come up with a reasonable DDx and then a reasonable plan.