Comlex 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor4Life1769

**tr0llin, ridin dirty**
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've matched. Was wondering, I read how one may sign up for USMLE Step 3 prior to intern year in CT... is this also true of COMLEX 3? Or must we wait till intern year starts? I'm at an ACGME program for anesthesiology.

Any recommendations on when to take it? I hope to take it early so I can focus on my specialty-related studying.

Also, do residency programs give you a day off for the exam or does that cut into vacation/post-call time?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1. I had to wait until I graduated before I could even sign up for the exam. Even then, it took a couple weeks for my school to upload the information that I had graduated and was therefore eligible.

2. I heard take it early. I couldn't afford to, though, so I'm taking it basically at the very end of my intern year.

3. Whether residency programs give you time off is up to them. Some do, some make you take vacation time for it. Some have you take it on a post-call day which I think is really really really crappy.

1. I had to wait until I graduated before I could even sign up for the exam. Even then, it took a couple weeks for my school to upload the information that I had graduated and was therefore eligible.

2. I heard take it early. I couldn't afford to, though, so I'm taking it basically at the very end of my intern year.

3. Whether residency programs give you time off is up to them. Some do, some make you take vacation time for it. Some have you take it on a post-call day which I think is really really really crappy.

Yeah, that's just plain lame.
Thanks for the reply.

You should take it somewhere between after graduation and before you start internship, if you have a chance. COMLEX III is very similar to II, and if you re-read B&W and Savarese you should be all set. Your school should authorize you to take it once you graduate. It's not the two-day deal that USMLE III is. One good thing about step III ...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/574821/Medicine/COMLEX.zip

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome. I emailed my school earlier today, nothing back from them.

For Level 3, does the score really matter or do I just need to pass it? Wasn't sure if it played any role later on down the road (i.e. fellowships)?

Awesome. I emailed my school earlier today, nothing back from them.

For Level 3, does the score really matter or do I just need to pass it? Wasn't sure if it played any role later on down the road (i.e. fellowships)?

Word on the street is that nobody cares. It only matters so that you can get your permanent license.

Having said that, I suggest taking it as early as you can. Some residencies put time requirements on step 3 passage. I can tell you from experience, it's a huge weight off of one's shoulders to have it done and out of the way, and I wish I would have been done with it much sooner.

My school still hasn't gotten back to me on it ... :rolleyes:

I guess I'll have to take it within the 1st coupla months of intern year unless I'm on inpatient medicine... dont see how I'd find time to study and take the test on a medicine month.. :(

to the OP, not sure if you took USMLE CS but if you haven't then I am not sure if you can take USMLE Step 3. I wanted to take step 3 as I am doing a TRI and want to impress the programs I may apply to, but having not taken the CS, I am not eligible for Step 3 (this was from an email response from NBME). If anyone has heard anything different please let me know.

My plan now is to do well on COMLEX 3 and show improvement.

to the OP, not sure if you took USMLE CS but if you haven't then I am not sure if you can take USMLE Step 3. I wanted to take step 3 as I am doing a TRI and want to impress the programs I may apply to, but having not taken the CS, I am not eligible for Step 3 (this was from an email response from NBME). If anyone has heard anything different please let me know.

My plan now is to do well on COMLEX 3 and show improvement.

I'm not doing USMLE Step 3. I am only doing COMLEX 3 and just want to pass (but of course still do well) since I've matched categorical. I used USMLE as an example of how in the state of CT, you can sign up early and take it early there and wondered if there was such a thing for the COMLEX. My Dean of students said I can't, but unsure if it's truly that way or if he is unaware.
Anyways, good luck on your TRI and COMLEX 3... I'm sure you'll do well.