COMLEX advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laboholic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I basically gave myself 3 days to study for the COMLEX (I take the USMLE on friday june6 and then the COMLEX the next tuesday. ) Im spending all of my time and energy studying for the USMLE because I assume that if I know that stuff well I should be good for everything on the COMLEX except OMM. I have already gone through the Savarese book last quarter in OMT.

Does anyone know if the Savarese questions are good for COMLEX study? I have never seen a COMLEX style question and I just want to make sure I have an idea before I get into the test. I dont really want to spend $50 for the COMSE but I want to pass the COMLEX.

Advice from people who have taken the test would be great!
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
One day is all you need to study for the OMM portions of COMLEX. OMM q's are the easiest part of COMLEX it is like free points.

USMLE q's are very different form COMLEX, you will find that they are well written with most of the information you need to answer the q. and harder as for COMLEX, they are poorly written and many times you are trying to guess what the question author was thinking.

Good Luck:laugh:

how does the COMLEX compare to the USMLE as far as the computer setup? I have the Kaplan USMLE Qbank and I assume that it is designed to closely resemble the setup they have on the real test. Is this correct?

how does the COMLEX compare to the USMLE as far as the computer setup? I have the Kaplan Qbank and I assume that it is designed to closely resemble the setup they have on the real test. Is this correct?

Go to the NBOME website. The tutorial has a sample COMLEX 50 question "test" at the end. It is identical to what you'll have (except it won't let you check your answers:)). The questions are also very similar to what you'll get.

I keep reading that the COMLEX is much more poorly written in comparison to the USMLE. Why don't the test writers improve the test? Is there simply no incentive to do so?

I keep reading that the COMLEX is much more poorly written in comparison to the USMLE. Why don't the test writers improve the test? Is there simply no incentive to do so?

I really don't think the test questions are that poorly written. It seemed pretty straightforward and clinically oriented. The USMLE in constrast, had some questions that seemed more suitable for someone getting a PhD versus a medical degree. I think in the past the COMLEX was written in a lot different manner and that's what has given it such a bad reputation. In my opinion, some people just don't want to let go of the past.