Matching Internal Medicine COMLEX Only - Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Allosteopath

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 4th year medical student at a newer DO school who is planning on applying to Internal Medicine for this upcoming Match. Given my plan for medical school was FM or IM from the beginning, I figured a COMLEX only approach was probably all that was required. I was fortunate to have received a very good COMLEX Level 2 score, and Passed level 1 with no issues.

I'm stronger academically than extracurricular/research-wise, but I really want to try to go to the best Residency program that I can, and maybe go on to Fellowship afterwards. Does anyone have any advice as to what are the "highest tier" programs that I could consider that would be likely to extend interview invitations? Would I be able to still consider academic internal medicine programs or am I relegated to community IM as a future DO? How do program directors view/interpret COMLEX scores?

Members don't see this ad.

Scores?
Depending on your scores, you could potentially target some lower tier university programs. Otherwise, you’ll probably need to aim at Community and communiversity programs as well as old AOA/DO programs.

Reactions: 1 user
I was in the low 700s score wise.

Is there a good way to identify programs that were historically AOA/DO?

Members don't see this ad :)
With low 700s, I’d say you’re in good shape for most low (and even some Mid) tier university programs. Communiversity programs will be a good bet as well. Make good use of residencyexplorer.org to see which programs have accepted DOs before (by percentage) and their range of COMLEX scores. You’ll need your AAMC credentials to login.

To find old AOA programs, go to the ACGME’s website click on the top right drop down menu, then “institution and program finder”, then select “list of programs that applied for accreditation under the single accreditation system by specialty”. There you can run a search for these IM programs.

Thank you for your insights. Do you have an example of what programs would best represent a mid-tier vs low tier university vs communiversity program?

I’m not well versed in the rankings of IM programs, so this might be a better question to ask in the Eternal IM WAMC thread. But I’d say Mid tier IM examples would be UNC, UVA, Georgetown, Wake Forest, Jefferson, UMaryland... Low tier: UMMC, MUSC, ETSU, SIU, LSU NOLA… Communiversity would be any community program that is affiliated with a main university/academic program like UPMC Hamot, UAB Huntsville, Prisma health Greer, Cleveland clinic Florida, Mayo Clinic Florida, LSU Shreveport…

Last edited:
Low tier uni and maybe some mid tier in the Midwest or undesirable locations. Not having a Step score will hurt you at a lot of academic programs.

I’m not well versed in the rankings of IM programs, so this might be a better question to ask in the Eternal IM WAMC thread. But I’d say Mid tier IM examples would be UNC, UVA, Georgetown, Wake Forest, Jefferson, UMaryland... Low tier: UMMC, MUSC, ETSU, SIU, LSU NOLA… Communiversity would be any community program that is affiliated with a main university/academic program like UPMC Hamot, UAB Huntsville, Prisma health Greer, Cleveland clinic Florida, Mayo Clinic Florida, LSU Shreveport…

Honestly I wouldn’t put the Mayo’s and CC places as communiversity. They are pretty much just community programs with an academic twist. UC Northshore, Hopkins Bayview, and the other places you mention are more communiversity type places.

LSU Shreveport isn’t really communiversity either. It’s not related to LSU-NOLA at all and is its own academic entity in the LSU system and is a university hospital/program. Lots of FMG’s in their non-surgical specialties tho from what I hear from a former classmate who’s there for EM.

I got into KU w comlex only but had very strong connections research wise. Probably was the only person in my class that was COMLEX only.

Geisinger is a good place. Also should look at bigger communiversity with in house fellowship.

For the most part a large swath of university programs are going to be hard to be considered but it doesn't hurt to try especially if you have strong scores.