COMLEX and Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CHP

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a second year at COMP. I was wondering where I could get information about different residencies and which ones are competitive or not. Are there any books or internet sites anyone would recommend? I'm thinking of going into a Family Practice Residency, but I might change my mind. So should I take the COMLEX I in June and just pass or should I study longer and take it in October and aim for a high score? Or does it even matter? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

CHP,
Try out this new site. www.medschool.com It has some info which might be helpful. However, the best advice I have is to contact programs in which you might be interested and ask them what their entrance profile is like (# of apps, # of interviews, avg. board scores, class rank, etc.) I can tell you that if your are interested in Family Med. that simply passing the boards and graduating from med school are what you need for most programs. Fam. Med is one of the least competitive programs out there.

Here is what I know: several students from my school, D.O. med school, only took COMLEX. They have been offered positions (and taken) in anesthesiology at Johns Hopkins, Yale, Harvard.
This is the truth. It is all in the individual and hussle during the clinical years (MS3 and MS4)
Good luck

Get a copy of ?First Aid for USMLE step I?. In the one of its beginning chapters it has a table that lists different residencies and where you should score on your national board. I found this table to be pretty accurate. As I recall Anesth, Fam Med, IM, Ped, Psych were among the ?just pass? programs with more competitive programs being EM, Radiology, Derm, Ophthalmology, and the really competitive programs being neurosurgery, ortho, urology, etc. Also, if you want to go into one the more competitive programs (especially in the west coast) and you want an ACGME spot, I suggest you consider taking the USMLE as well. I have interviewed at several places for EM this year, I only took the COMLEX, and there were couple of programs that made reference to the fact that they could not completely compare my COMLEX score to the rest of their applicants because of the different scoring system but overall most of the programs that I interviewed with had no problem with my COMLEX score and stated they would use the percentile to compare me to students who have taken the USMLE.

[This message has been edited by RBorhani (edited 02-05-2000).]