comlex and usmle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realruby2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of DO students take both exams....but do you take them at almost the same time? how much of a time gap is there between the 2 tests?

Members don't see this ad.

The COMLEX is offered twice a year and students can the USMLE anytime they want (it's computer-based). I took the USMLE the day after I took the COMLEX. Anticipating your next question: The exams are comparable--I did well on both, though slighly better on COMLEX (as one might expect being a D.O. student).

Members don't see this ad :)
How long are the exams? do they take more than one day?

COMLEX is 2 days 400 questions each day. Paper and pencil.
USMLE is 1 day, 350 questions, and on computer.
Each consist of steps 1,2, and 3.
I felt the USMLE was FAR less tiring, with much better written questions than the COMLEX.

I was wondering how the tests are scored. I have heard that the scoring ranges are totally different. What is the high score, the average, passing, whatever you know about the scoring system. Could someone elaborate on that for me? Thanks a lot!

why is the USMLE a shorter test than COMLEX? do many or most osteopathic students take both tests? I heard that the first time pass rate on USMLE for allopathic students = 95% but for osteopathic students = 82%. If true, and I don't know if it is, why do you think there is this disparity?

Hi. I am confused. I have had people (advisors) tell me that it is useless to take both exams. Do some residencies require the USMLE, instead? Just interested in knowing...

BostonGirl

Are these exams multiple choice?

Yes, the sests are a combination of multiple choice and matching. (I don't remember seing any true false type things)

Some allopathic residencies will require you have the USMLE in addition to the comlex required by DO schools.

I also agree in that some residencies will require you to take the USMLE. This is assuming that you want to apply to allopathic programs of course. Therefore, as I've said before, you should take both exams. The question is why not? Better to take both because you never know what field you want to go into and there might be some programs that you are really interested in and if you don't take the USMLE then it won't be to your advantage. The material is the same and trust me, you don't want to have to study for it during your third or fourth years. Plus, a lot of people in my class who wanted to go into a certain field starting med school have decided to go into different fields and some allopathic programs are just better than the DO ones. Which is too bad but the truth hurts sometimes.