COMLEX High USMLE Low

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zero_Your_Hero

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you crush the COMLEX but did poorly (below average on the USMLE) would that negate all efforts to do well on COMLEX?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say no. A below average USMLE will still sometimes get you above cutoffs that an average or even above average COMLEX would not.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
How low? 192 is a world different compare to 220 and 220 can get you above the cutoffs when 590 on COMLEX couldn't for any program that require 600+. Do you know what is even better? A high USMLE score and just a passing COMLEX score. Your school will probably think you are a "meh" student and when you match into a top program, they will drop their jaws.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How low? 192 is a world different compare to 220 and 220 can get you above the cutoffs when 590 on COMLEX couldn't for any program that require 600+. Do you know what is even better? A high USMLE score and just a passing COMLEX score. Your school will probably think you are a "meh" student and when you match into a top program, they will drop their jaws.

Shooting for EM, 630's on COMLEX, still awaiting USMLE but based on my test day experience and prior NBME I suspect a 220ish.

Shooting for EM, 630's on COMLEX, still awaiting USMLE but based on my test day experience and prior NBME I suspect a 220ish.

You don't even have your score yet, wait until it comes back.

Came back. Lower than I thought. Passed tough.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

How low?

ACGME programs don't care (and sadly, won't appreciate) the 630 - nevertheless, nice work. Your COMLEX score suggests that you are not a total dummy. It sounds like you just prioritized COMLEX over USMLE. Moving forward, I would plan on making Step 2 the priority. As long as you didn't totally auger into the ground on Step 1 and you improve on Step 2, you will be fine. Based on the published info on FRIEDA, the USMLE cutoffs are surprisingly low.

Reactions: 1 user
Which was a surprise. Every predictor out there said 225 easy. Was scoring 75th percentile on uworld. NBME's were in line. Just bombed the day of...

Which was a surprise. Every predictor out there said 225 easy. Was scoring 75th percentile on uworld. NBME's were in line. Just bombed the day of...

Don't worry about it too much. It was probably a handful of questions. When it comes time for the next set of exams, focus on USMLE. I focused exclusively on USMLE and took my comlex first as one final assessment prior to my USMLE a week or so later. I'm pretty sure I got a few points that way.