COMLEX II Finished!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smgilles

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Some of it was ridiculously simple. Some of it made no sense and you best guess it. The OMM was easy (but stupid) for the most part. Glad it's done.

You may beat my score, but I don't know if you can beat my time today. Finished the test in 3 hours 10 min. Boo-yah! ;) Probably only got 20% right, but that's gotta be a world land speed record or something.

damn! <30sec/question??? normally i'd say you're a crazy MF, but given the test, can't say i blame you for just gettin it done as quickly as possible (knowledge has nothing to do with it anyway!) Go speed-racer!

Email from the Dean yesterday stating that the NBOME is going to crack down on people who post specifics about the COMLEX 2 CE. So far most of the posts I've seen (maybe all?) have been very general (and there have definitely been no verbatim ?s posted), so I don't think anyone has anything to worry about. Just keep this in mind as we vent about the test, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, done and done. Not enough vitals, a few too many dumb OMM questions for my taste. If I had even recognized one of the OMM diagnoses, it would have been nice. Talk about a poor representation of what we learned in class.

And the one about the physciatrists was crazy. (Is that vague enough for you sexpanther?) :p

I just finished this test. I have to agree, talk about beaten a dead horse, with most of the posts. The test was extremely vague with labs usually making things even more difficult to diagnose. I don't claim to be that smart but could I get some clear cut stuff. Most of questions weren't difficult in essence but it was made more difficult by how it was presented in the stem. It was a lot of bread and butter medicine but I can't help that I was dumber than a box of rocks when I finished the test:confused: .

Overall, I feel like this test was much improved over the Step 1 I took. There were far less of those 2 sentence questions with basically no information with them that asked detailed questions. There was far less "bugs and drugs" but those that I saw never listed the 1st drug I would have gone for.

And as Doc825 stated, It was frustrating to be given very atypical presentations with only a single indication for a common diagnosis yet then have 4 other choices that are probable based on the presentation.

Then the images they used were a little better, but many of the x-rays were of piss poor quality.

I had very little OMM on mine, perhaps 20 questions. And thankfully only a few of those "in real life you're not going to actually do this since it's not standard of care, but since you're an osteopath, we're going to pretend you do." Personally, I call shenanigans on that bullcrap. If you want to test viscero-somatic/etc dysfunctions, that's fine, but don't sit there and pretend that for a dz process which has a set standard of care which is NOT OMM, that we're going to do OMM as the first treatment.

I had 1 or 2 questions in which the lab values were borderline and did nothing but make it far more difficult to distinguish between the 2 most likely answers.

The questions which really pissed me off were the ones about various agencies/M&M conferences and their purposes and appropriate times to use, were and when was I taught about that? I really want to bitch about these more but it would be far too easy to get into more details which they'd probably frown upon.

Neuro, OB, Peds, medicine were extremely heavy with sprinklings of psych and surgery.

What everyone else said. I hope I pass. It's a bowl of cold water to the balls when you've been hitting 65%-70% (though that's not my average at all) on UW walking into the exam, and then hoping to god you at least passed walking out.

Hey gang! Taking the test in 2 weeks... wondering what you thought of the NBOME Practice test that they send out. Did all 200 questions and got about 85% correct.. Anyone have thoughts on how that correlated to the actual exam?
Also studying USMLEWorld and Kaplan Qbook, First Aid, and some Secrets thrown in...
Thanks dudes! (i still like that word even though it died with Bill and Ted and their excellent adventure)

I took USMLE 2 on August 21 and COMLEX 2 on August 22. USMLE was a little over an 8 hour day including breaks, while COMLEX only took 5:15 including all three breaks.

As I expected from having taken Step 1 of both tests, USMLE 2 was superior to COMLEX 2. The USMLE had easy questions, challenging questions, and some VERY challenging questions, but what it did not have any WTF?! questions. Many times during USMLE I thought to myself how glad I was I had studied a certain topic because it enabled me to get some hard questions right (at least I think I got them right!). By the last block I felt like I was seeing sideways from fatigue, but when it was all over I didn't feel terrible about it.

The COMLEX 2 had three types of questions: 1.)questions that were ridiculously easy 2.)questions that I SWEAR had at least two equally correct answers 3.)WTF?! questions. I'm sure there weren't as many WTF ?'s as it seemed like while I was taking the test, but they are heavily represented. These questions were over material that I would never have thought to study for a clinically-oriented examination. The WTF?! questions were similar to the ones you may remember from part 1, except I think that they were even more prevalent on part 2.

OMM was not too bad. The questions were either very easy or were of the WTF?! variety, with more of them being easy. I skimmed each chapter of Savarese (except chapter 10 and the sacrum chapter, which I read more carefully) to prepare. I would say I spent no more than 4 or 5 hours on OMM studying. I really don't think it would have helped me get more questions right had I studied more. I did no OMM questions to prepare.

To study I did all of USMLEWorld once, read Secrets twice, and read/skimmed Boards and Wards, which I had sorta read throughout year 3. I also reviewed just a few pages of some high-yield notes I had made when I studied for Step 1. Oh, I also took notes as I did UW, ended up with 32 pages of single-spaced, wide-margined notes. I reviewed these a couple times before my tests, and it seemed to be very helpful. Much more so for the USMLE, I'm sorry to inform you. I'm really not sure what source to recommend for COMLEX.

The good thing about COMLEX was the computer format. It was easy to navigate, pictures were good, and one day is SO MUCH better than two. I wish I could have highlighted and struck out text like I did with the USMLE, but the question stems were short enough that it didn't matter too much.

I'll update with scores when they are available in 7 months or whenever they get around to it.:rolleyes:

Sigh, 2 weeks to go, reading all of this just makes me feel less and less prepared, and it's harder and harder to study when i get home everyday. I really just don't want to have to retake this test. I started interviewing already and all that they said was "just pass it" when they heard i haven't taken step 2 yet. Why does that have to be so hard. "Just pass it" should be easy to do. Why isn't it? I just threw up on myself....
do i most likely have?
a. pancreatitis
b. appendicitis
c. rib dysfunction
d. gastroenteritis
e. GERD

What kind of programs are you interviewing for??? What is already interviewing?

confused...
T5-T6 FRSright

i would treat with some mild muscle-energy and counterstrain!

Don't worry, you'll be fine. The exam is very pass-able and rotations have prepared you well.
One recommendation i have is order the question booklet from the NBOME...it will give you a good idea of what the question stems are like.

And what programs are interviewing already?

I turned my ERAS stuff in the first week that I could for DO students. I actually interviewed at a program for osteopathic internship/FP, i was rotating there last month so they told me to interview while i was there. I don't think they normally interview so early. I have a few more set up for october. FP interviews are probably not as high-stress as most of the ones everyone else on this forum will be going for. But that's the kind of medicine i want to practice.