COMLEX Level 1 is now pass/fail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted849476

Discuss.

Also, class of 2024, do we cram and take it before May 1st for a score or wait, take the load off, and get P/F? I imagine some who want a competitive specialty would be tempted to get that numeric score. Obviously either way Step2/Level 2 importance goes way up as has already been established in all the USMLE pass/fail threads.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
Honestly, as a part of the class of 2024 I'm very unhappy with this. I would like a competitive specialty and was really hoping to have a COMLEX score (with a percentile) to differentiate me when it comes to the match. I feel like this really will hurt my chances now that I won't have that score/percentile.

• Haha
  • Okay...
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like Step 2 is king for our class, I was aiming on doing anking moreso for a good COMLEX 1 score after step 1 P/F but now it's limbo

Should I still go about doing anking for Step 1/Comlex 1 so that I can build a good base for Step 2/level 2?

Reactions: 1 users
They keep remembering to copy NBME with the bad stuff but not the good stuff

Reactions: 6 users
Yay! I'm an OMS1 hoping to match in competitive, traditionally allopathic places. It seems like a high COMLEX score was never going to mean anything to traditionally MD programs, so a numerical score could only hurt not help. I feel like this gives more freedom to focus on leaderships and research experiences.

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 12 users
Yay! I'm an OMS1 hoping to match in competitive places. It seems like a high COMLEX score was never going to mean anything to traditionally MD programs, so a numerical score could only hurt not help. I feel like this gives more freedom to focus on leaderships and research experiences.
Wrong!

A high comlex 1 could get you into competitive specialties at programs that were historically part of the AOA match. Regardless, this change doesn't matter nearly as much as step 1 going P/F and maybe on average the stress reduction it will contribute to combined with the fact that most DO students wouldn't benefit from historical AOA programs makes this better than worse, at least in the context of step 1 already being P/F. I dunno.

• Okay...
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Wrong!

A high comlex 1 could get you into competitive specialties at programs that were historically part of the AOA match. Regardless, this change doesn't matter nearly as much as step 1 going P/F and maybe on average the stress reduction it will contribute to combined with the fact that most DO students wouldn't benefit from historical AOA programs makes this better than worse, at least in the context of step 1 already being P/F. I dunno.
Well wouldn’t those former aoa programs now start using comlex level 2/step 2 like traditional MD programs?? As well as put more weight on research?

Well wouldn’t those former aoa programs now start using comlex level 2/step 2 like traditional MD programs?? As well as put more weight on research?
Good question. I'm a 3rd year. I don't know!

Good question. I'm a 3rd year. I don't know!
Same here haha i am a third year glad I dogged all this stuff. I suspect it will be all the same among former aoa and md, more weight will be put on step 2/level 2 scores and research and extra cirriculars.

Reactions: 1 user
DO schools still need faculty to do research. Established DO schools have this but new DO schools? RIP
Yep... although i don’t know if this impacts anything for specialties that don’t put heavy emphasis on research. Aoa programs even in competitive specialties didn’t put too much weight on it, so I bet level 2/step 2 becomes very important along with your audition/sub I

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't be surprised (Im expecting it actually) if they made Step 2 pass/fail for the 2024 class as well. They still have a whole year to make that announcement

So as someone who fully intends to do community FM in the middle of nowhere, this doesn’t matter to me, right?

• Haha
1608259177600.jpeg

so PDs will be using this now?

• Haha
Has anyone heard about the COMLEX reporting a quartile still? I recently talked to a PD at an AOA surgical subspecialty and he said he thought it would be reported that way. I don't think that's true though...

Also, how do programs determine which students they take for Sub-I's now? Since I know lots of the former AOA programs were COMLEX heavy and really relied on that for determining who they would let rotate with them.

So how much does this affect someone interested in non-surgical programs like IM, neuro, anesthesia, etc?

Is this really to be expected? That will be a sad day...

I guess the only meaningful things we would have left in our control at that point would be research and connections.
It's speculation so if you're the hopeful type keep on hoping lol. I'm a pessimist and with all the changes occurring it doesn't make sense to me that they wouldn't stab us a few more times to make sure there's no chance of recovery. <3

Discuss.

Also, class of 2024, do we cram and take it before May 1st for a score or wait, take the load off, and get P/F? I imagine some who want a competitive specialty would be tempted to get that numeric score. Obviously either way Step2/Level 2 importance goes way up as has already been established in all the USMLE pass/fail threads.
About f'ing time!!!!!

Just do well on Step 2. DO and MD students are on a more equal footing for that

Reactions: 4 users
Looks like Step 2 is king for our class, I was aiming on doing anking moreso for a good COMLEX 1 score after step 1 P/F but now it's limbo

Should I still go about doing anking for Step 1/Comlex 1 so that I can build a good base for Step 2/level 2?

OMS-III who lazied through my first two years and crammed for step 1/level 1 here... and yes, you should do AnKing or whatever deck works best for you to prep for step 2. I keep finding “new“ things in my step 2 study materials, I’ll mention them to a classmate, and they’ll be all, “yeah, I remember that from studying for step 1!” Well, I don’t - it‘s new to me. :annoyed:

Study hard for step 1. Step 2 builds on it. You’re tripling your third year workload, when you’re already busy with rotations (far busier than during OMS I/II for me personally), if you chintz out on your step 1 prep.

Reactions: 5 users

Discuss.

I would definitely wait and not at all go for the score. As is, the COMLEX is considered low value. Do you think anyone will value a 600 COMLEX when most PDs have no idea how the tests works AND they are judging all MD candidates by their step 2? No way. Getting a score on COMLEX 1 is a bad move IMO

I would definitely wait and not at all go for the score. As is, the COMLEX is considered low value. Do you think anyone will value a 600 COMLEX when most PDs have no idea how the tests works AND they are judging all MD candidates by their step 2? No way. Getting a score on COMLEX 1 is a bad move IMO
I agree, not worth it. But... if you could be sure that you'd get a 600+ I think there's a possibility it would help with former DO programs especially surgical subs still with mostly/all DOs and DO PDs. It would be a neat feather in your cap at interview to say "Yea I'm really serious about this specialty so I studied hard and took it early and still got this score." Still, not for me maybe, but I bet you there are people who will do it, not to mention people who did a prelim/didn't match and will have stellar scores at interview when my class has all P/Fs.

Do you think anyone will value a 600 COMLEX when most PDs have no idea how the tests works
I don’t know about that, on my IM rotations (2 in regional medical center and 1 sub-I at place of my choice) both PD I had a chance to talk to knew very well what comlex score is. I don’t think in 2021 there are a lot of PD left who don’t know it. I think you are repeating old stereotype.

I don’t know about that, on my IM rotations (2 in regional medical center and 1 sub-I at place of my choice) both PD I had a chance to talk to knew very well what comlex score is. I don’t think in 2021 there are a lot of PD left who don’t know it. I think you are repeating old stereotype.
COMLEX 1 is also p/f January 2022 so it doesn’t matter anyway. Class of 2024 will just be evaluated with tarot cards and palm readings, maybe some astrology.

I can’t wait until 20 years from now when people perusing these threads will ask “So can someone explain what COMLEX was...? What is NBOME?”

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
I can’t wait until 20 years from now when people perusing these threads will ask “So can someone explain what COMLEX was...? What is NBOME?”
Is there someone I can hire to create a convincing PR debacle for the NBOME? Like make it look like the president is assaulting people or something...

kidding,

but seriously PM me with leads

DO students will no doubt have to learn this in the "History of Osteopathy" lectures, along with such gems as the names of AT Still dogs (I recall an SDNer mentioning this very thing one)!

• Haha
It’s not an old stereotype. COMLEX is hard to interpret for the people taking it, let alone PDs who just want to be able to compare applicants directly to each other

Reactions: 3 users
It’s not an old stereotype. COMLEX is hard to interpret for the people taking it, let alone PDs who just want to be able to compare applicants directly to each other
I love how people use personal anecdotes to justify the relevance of this truly worthless exam.

I love how people use personal anecdotes to justify the relevance of this truly worthless exam.
Not what I said. So far no one is justifying the relevance of comlex in this thread (unless I missed it). I was implying that its naïve to think PD doesn't know what comlex is. I understand that you are probably frustrated with comlex (we all are), but you should separate your own thoughts and fantasies from what I wrote. I mostly agree with what you said, but I was replying to completely different thing.

Incoming DO student here, class of 2025. Can someone please fill me in on what will be important going forward? I’ve heard the COMLEX I, USMLE 1 are now P/F and USMLE 2 is discontinued. I think these are good changes because I’m going the DO route? Any advice is appreciated. End goal(as of now)- IM residency in NY.

Incoming DO student here, class of 2025. Can someone please fill me in on what will be important going forward? I’ve heard the COMLEX I, USMLE 1 are now P/F and USMLE 2 is discontinued. I think these are good changes because I’m going the DO route? Any advice is appreciated. End goal(as of now)- IM residency in NY.
USMLE 2 CS is discontinued. USMLE 2 CK is not which will be the important exam you want to score high on, assuming it’s not pass/fail for your class in the future (prob not). The best way to set yourself up is to do well in your classes/rotations and do research

Problem is DO students used to be able to rock usmle step 1 and increase their chances of getting into a good MD residency program. Thats essentially how I got into a decent residency program.

Now, it all falls on step 2 as well as research (which DO schools, in general, are lacking) LOR (again not a strong point for DO programs as fewer well known people in certain fields) , and school prestige (again not in DO schools favor. This puts DOs at a disadvantage for more “competitive” specialtiez.

DO students will no doubt have to learn this in the "History of Osteopathy" lectures, along with such gems as the names of AT Still dogs (I recall an SDNer mentioning this very thing one)!

What was the “tossing the flag to the wind” or what have you. I remember that coming up at some point.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users