COMLEX Level 2 PE Advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phagocytosis41

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Hi all current OMS-3 student prepping for COMLEX Level 2 PE. I took a prep course in conjunction with my school but was not successful in getting the approval to take the Level 2 PE. However, I reviewed a lot and practiced a lot. I will not be able to retake the COMLEX Level 2 PE prep course again until April since no slots are available. I have until I believe around June-July to complete it.
However right now I have time to practice after rotations for the PE, however I do not know if I should relay my COMLEX PE until April when I take the prep course. I am not a fan of delaying things and I am concerned whether or not I should give myself ample time to retake it just in case I fail the PE, which I am planning to prep hard for.
I have been studying for the PE from time to time the last 2 weeks and I have 2 more weeks to prep before the PE. Should I delay it to take my school's prep course which has a new 90% pass for the PE or just study it on my own ?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all current OMS-3 student prepping for COMLEX Level 2 PE. I took a prep course in conjunction with my school but was not successful in getting the approval to take the Level 2 PE. However, I reviewed a lot and practiced a lot. I will not be able to retake the COMLEX Level 2 PE prep course again until April since no slots are available. I have until I believe around June-July to complete it.
However right now I have time to practice after rotations for the PE, however I do not know if I should relay my COMLEX PE until April when I take the prep course. I am not a fan of delaying things and I am concerned whether or not I should give myself ample time to retake it just in case I fail the PE, which I am planning to prep hard for.
I have been studying for the PE from time to time the last 2 weeks and I have 2 more weeks to prep before the PE. Should I delay it to take my school's prep course which has a new 90% pass for the PE or just study it on my own ?
3rd year in April has plenty of time for retake. You will get the score back in June and as long as you schedule before the end of July you will have the score in time for sept 15th even if you did fail. That said if you are really concerned about failing goto a legit prep course like the West Virginia one.

also 90% is below the national average so your schools prep course sucks.

3rd year in April has plenty of time for retake. You will get the score back in June and as long as you schedule before the end of July you will have the score in time for sept 15th even if you did fail. That said if you are really concerned about failing goto a legit prep course like the West Virginia one.

also 90% is below the national average so your schools prep course sucks.
But is practicing alone and with others enough? I'm writing soap notes and doing cases independently of any prep course.

Members don't see this ad :)
But is practicing alone and with others enough? I'm writing soap notes and doing cases independently of any prep course.
It was for me along with Kaufman videos. If you do a lot of H+Ps in rotation it might be good for you too.

Right thanks... so I will use Kaufman videos and just do H&Ps independently.
With assessments and plans also, just in case I wasn’t clear. You need to be thinking and working up differentials to the point where it is easy to spit ball ideas for common complaints like gallbladder stroke Msk pain etc.

Below 90% is below the national pass rate... so that is not a good prep program
I prepped on my own and passed no problem
The key is to take it serious. So many students (the ones that fail typically) blow this test off like it is nothing. It is such a ridiculous exam, but nothing is more ridiculous then not prepping for it..

Take 2-3 weeks and practice some scenarios and know what the test entails.

I took my PE in late May, with the pass I got on the first attempt that was fine. If you take it in April you will be just fine.

One of my classmates took it in Mid May, failed and still had time to take it again and not have an issue with interviews.

Jeez I have my PE in 4 days and I just started reviewing stuff today lol. I didn’t even know people took prep courses lol. My upper class man were just like “speak English” and you’ll pass (obviously an exaggeration). But I wonder if I should have started earlier, I’m just watching Kaufman and writing practice soap notes. Hoping my rotations are practice enough for the actual encounter lol

Reactions: 1 user
Jeez I have my PE in 4 days and I just started reviewing stuff today lol. I didn’t even know people took prep courses lol. My upper class man were just like “speak English” and you’ll pass (obviously an exaggeration). But I wonder if I should have started earlier, I’m just watching Kaufman and writing practice soap notes. Hoping my rotations are practice enough for the actual encounter lol
yeah def watch those videos. There are like 40-50 videos or even more spanning 15-25 min. Some have SOAP note debriefs after each.

Kaufman videos are pretty out of date - they still refer to when there was one site and everything was hand-written.

Review them as needed or if there is one where you have difficulty developing questions or a differential on the fly. For instance, many people are used to asking location, and radiation, and scale 1-10 for pain, but many have difficulty when it's fever or cough for some reason. But I wouldn't waste time on all of them. The intro videos are more useful I felt when I took it.

Get the Step 2 CS and Kaufman books. Get a friend or 2. Practice. Give each other feedback. Type up the cases immediately after as if the real thing with the practice, timed SOAP note on the NBOME site. Using those books give structure to what should be asked with responses from the "patient" (or your friend) (this is the CS book - the kaufman book only gives 2 cases like this), and make sure you and your friend are noting for each other what was not asked, and what was asked but should not have been, and the delivery. The kaufman book simply has more cases that are OMM related that you can use. If you had to choose one to use, use the CS book.

All I did: reviewed the intro videos from kaufman, practiced with 2-3 friends (only 1 and a time) going back and further between patient and provider with the CS book, and immediately after did the practice SOAP. Feedback was discussed after the note, with review of the notes by each other as well.

I did this every other day for 2 weeks. Passed first try, as did each friend I worked with. None of us did a prep course. Take that for what it's worth, and do what you need to do to pass.

Kaufman videos are pretty out of date - they still refer to when there was one site and everything was hand-written.

Review them as needed or if there is one where you have difficulty developing questions or a differential on the fly. For instance, many people are used to asking location, and radiation, and scale 1-10 for pain, but many have difficulty when it's fever or cough for some reason. But I wouldn't waste time on all of them. The intro videos are more useful I felt when I took it.

Get the Step 2 CS and Kaufman books. Get a friend or 2. Practice. Give each other feedback. Type up the cases immediately after as if the real thing with the practice, timed SOAP note on the NBOME site. Using those books give structure to what should be asked with responses from the "patient" (or your friend) (this is the CS book - the kaufman book only gives 2 cases like this), and make sure you and your friend are noting for each other what was not asked, and what was asked but should not have been, and the delivery. The kaufman book simply has more cases that are OMM related that you can use. If you had to choose one to use, use the CS book.

All I did: reviewed the intro videos from kaufman, practiced with 2-3 friends (only 1 and a time) going back and further between patient and provider with the CS book, and immediately after did the practice SOAP. Feedback was discussed after the note, with review of the notes by each other as well.

I did this every other day for 2 weeks. Passed first try, as did each friend I worked with. None of us did a prep course. Take that for what it's worth, and do what you need to do to pass.
I think the Kauffman vids are up to date now. There’s a 2020 version of them and nothing handwritten. All reference Esoap notes

Reactions: 1 users