COMLEX PREP QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by aecuenca, Nov 30, 1999.

1. aecuenca

aecuenca Senior Member

I was wondering if there are any review books or courses offered by companies that prepare med students for COMLEX. Any information you may have would be appreciated.

Arnold
    WESTERN U/COMP CLASS OF 2004

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Future DOc

Future DOc Senior Member

I am a second year at WesternU/COMP prepping for the boards in june.

From what i have heard and experienced, a lot of medical students initially get the book entitiled, First Aid for the USMLE Step I(sorry, can't remember the authors of the back)

The book is great because it shows you all the "high yield"(a term you will know well when you arrive here) materials you need for each core subject.
    It also gives you great profile on what are cosidered "A-rated" supplemental books and what are not.
    An example for pharmacology would be Pharmacology by Lippincott

The First Aid rates this book an A. I bought it and have found it very useful.

Don't worry about the board books right now. When you arrive on campus next fall, you will get introduced to the Do's and Don'ts from your MS II COMPanion. You will also get introduced on what were great board books by upperclassmen. If you see one(or me), just ask them. One thing WesternU produces are very friendly and caring professionals.

Again, CONGRATS and WELCOME!!!

4. Doctor TRuth

Doctor TRuth Senior Member

Future Doc, I am interested in how your class schedule was for the MSI and MSII.
    ie is it 9-5 in class and lab or is it different?
    Also, have you inquired about residency spots available after you graduate, are they mostly in CA or outside? What % of residency spots are taken by students not entering primary care?

------------------
    Khan

5. Future DOc

Future DOc Senior Member

Doctor TRuth:

The first two years here at Western/COMP are pretty brutal in my opinion. It goes like this:

You start out with basic sciences 1st sem of your first year (gross anatomy, pathology, pharm, micr, etc...about 9 basic science classes). Then we go into systems (dermal, cardio, respiratory, etc..) where you study all the pharm, micro, biochem, etc.. for each system.

Since we don't have a university hospital, they throw all the clinical stuffs along side the basic sciences. So, we are in class 8-5 everyday approximately. Oh, don't forget to add OMM while your at it [​IMG]

It can get very trying at times, but I love how they introduce clinical medicine to us early. They also incorporate patient contact to us in each system, which is good because we practice history & physical taking early as well-very beneficial before rotations in your 3rd & 4th years.

Im running out of time but i'll tell you more about residency at a later date. Sorry for ending abruptly. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR ENDEAVORS!!!

6. ponch

ponch New Member

hey,
    i would agree with future DOc. first aid for the boards is a must. buy it the first week you are in school and use it with your classes (it will help with class exams because they give good pneumonics and will make studying for step I alot easier... because you will already have been through it once).

review books that i would definitely get if i were you would be the blue checkered (schneider?) physiology book, i would get the red checkered pathology book ( can't remember the author, but it is the same publisher as the physiology book). also get microbiology made ridiculously simple. i will be using it for step II in march. i would get these books before you start the classes and use it with the course (i regret not having done this... i only used the 1st aid book early).

well, that's my 2 cents.

- ponch

7. spunkydoc

spunkydoc Senior Member

first aid usmle is A MUST!! MEMORIZE IT..it is your bible..know it and you will most definitely pass the boards..

in addition, if you are not a motivated studier, take a course-paying for something forces some to get down to it..

get STARS series review of pathology--this book is so awesome that it is really useful on clinicals as well..the Stars series is superior to the usual brs series i believe

good luck

comlex is the most poorly written exam i have ever taken

8. OldManDave

OldManDave Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    The "Board Review Series" is an entire set of review books that include board style questions. There is a seperate BRS book for all the subjects I have or will encounter [Anatomy, Histology, Physiology, Embryology, Cell Bio, BioChem...]. If you know the material at the depth it is presented in these books, you will not excel; but you will be very competitive within the class...at least this is true in my experience.

Unless I am just genuinely impressed with the "required" textbooks, I skip them and but the BRS book for the course. But, I must also admit, the majority of our professors provide EXCELLENT note-packs to supplement their lectures. So, the BRS books and the note-packs are my primary sources of meterial. Textbooks are only for issues I just can't solidify thru the the BRS, lecture notes and note-packs.

------------------
    'Old Man Dave'
    KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!