Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Comlex Review

Discussion in 'Step I' started by mcandy, Nov 26, 2005.

1. mcandy

mcandy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hello survivors of COMLEX I,

Was the Saverse (sp?) book adequate for OMT/Osteopathic review for COMLEX? Thanks in advance!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DOCTORSAIB

DOCTORSAIB Ophtho or bust!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I haven't taken the exam yet but based on my research, yes it's definitely adequate for the OMM section of COMLEX-I.

Be aware that there is a new book out called "COMLEX Review, Clinical Anatomy and OMM" (I think). It's written by these 2 DO/MBA 4th years at NYCOM. It follows the Q/A format, which I find helpful. Seems like a good book but I'm sticking to Saverese. It's still the gold-standard for OMM. G'luck

4. Idiopathic

Idiopathic Newly Minted
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Focus on the autonomics and viscerosomatic reflexes, and skim through diagnosis and treatment. The actualy mechanical aspect of OMT really wasnt a big player on my COMLEX I, while the other stuff was hit hard.

Reverse that for Step II though. Cranial was huge, no viscerosomatic stuff, etc.

5. delicatefade

delicatefade ASA Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Speaking of COMLEX - I thought I saw some of last year's MS-2 class studying with what looked like a Kaplan series written for COMLEX review. Does this exist??? I can't seem to find it. Is it any good?

6. avanb803

avanb803 Member
    7+ Year Member

No. The kaplan book stinks and the Saverse book didn't cover it well. A lot of people will say know your autonomics, which is true. But on my exam (10/05) they made up about 1 out of every 10 OMM questions. The rest were things that you just hope to remember from class. I read the Saverse book the day before the Comlex and think it may have got me 2 extra questions. Thats my take on it anyways.

7. delicatefade

delicatefade ASA Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Did the Kaplan series of books stink in general or just for OMM??? I wasn't planning on using them for OMM review anyway, but I was considering them if they were good for an overall COMLEX review.

8. Idiopathic

Idiopathic Newly Minted
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Any comprehensive review book is okay for COMLEX. They ask you the same stuff, just worded much differently.

9. DOCTORSAIB

DOCTORSAIB Ophtho or bust!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Do you think that had anything to do with it? I know Saverese is easy read but putting one day into a section that covers 10-20% of a national board exam doesn't seem like the best strategy in my mind. I may be wrong.

10. mcandy

mcandy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I was told that the text itself is lame, but that the 500+ questions were very high yield...did you do these?