COMLEX Score Without OMM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hkhan

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, what would a top students score on the COMLEX be if they knew everything else, but completely ignored OMM and only knew the very basics of what they remembered from class/exams.

Asking because I found a student on SDN trying to match derm with a 500ish COMLEX but a 251 USMLE.

Any other similar experiences?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious, what would a top students score on the COMLEX be if they knew everything else, but completely ignored OMM and only knew the very basics of what they remembered from class/exams.

Asking because I found a student on SDN trying to match derm with a 500ish COMLEX but a 251 USMLE.

I don't think it's possible to make an accurate estimate for this kind of information. In reality, most DO students that take USMLE don't spend all that much extra time on OMM. I feel like most people go off of what they remember from class along with a pass or two of Savarese and maybe some Combank OMM questions at best. I also have a similar N=1 anecdote of >255, but ~560-580s for comlex. This particular person did not do all that well for our OMM course, but perfectly fine for everything else.

Based upon the COMLEX exams that I have taken, I'd say 10% of the content is OMM-based.

With a 251 Step I, just, try not to fail COMLEX, OK? And don't screw up the PE on Level II.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

251 for Derm as a DO? I would like to know if he/she succeeds. That doesn't seem like enough.

251 for Derm as a DO? I would like to know if he/she succeeds. That doesn't seem like enough.

With the right amount of pubs and good LORs in sure they could make it work at some place.

For DO students who have otherwise strong applications including pre-clinical grades, honors on rotations, research, LOR's, and corresponding USMLE scores that are indeed competitive, and are only applying to ACGME* programs, many of them just gloss over OMM and view the COMLEX as essentially pass/fail, opting to memorize some Chapman points and and some viscerosomatics which can be done with a few passes through a deck of flash cards and a quick pass through the Green Book.

If you're an otherwise strong candidate, prepping for the USMLE will be enough to more than pass COMLEX Level I and II. The questions are different, so make sure you do some COMBANK or COMQUEST or whatever the Q-bank of the day is these days to be comfortable with how COMLEX asks questions.

*Yes, I know that in 2020, as part of the single GME system, ALL programs will be ACGME, however I am talking about the "historically" ACGME programs, affiliated with allopathic institutions.

For DO students who have otherwise strong applications including pre-clinical grades, honors on rotations, research, LOR's, and corresponding USMLE scores that are indeed competitive, and are only applying to ACGME* programs, many of them just gloss over OMM and view the COMLEX as essentially pass/fail, opting to memorize some Chapman points and and some viscerosomatics which can be done with a few passes through a deck of flash cards and a quick pass through the Green Book.

If you're an otherwise strong candidate, prepping for the USMLE will be enough to more than pass COMLEX Level I and II. The questions are different, so make sure you do some COMBANK or COMQUEST or whatever the Q-bank of the day is these days to be comfortable with how COMLEX asks questions.

*Yes, I know that in 2020, as part of the single GME system, ALL programs will be ACGME, however I am talking about the "historically" ACGME programs, affiliated with allopathic institutions.
Mods, please sticky!!!

You could have a 260 or 270 and the result would be almost the same. Which is why you need derm research pubs and good LORs as mentioned above.

Good luck to that person trying to match derm as a DO students with only 251 (can't believe I am saying that) in step1... I was talking with a classmate the other day who gave up applying to derm with 247 step1 score, and I am at a low tier allo institution... She said she quickly realized that scores, research, and caliber of your institution are all important to land a derm residency...

Good luck to that person trying to match derm as a DO students with only 251 (can't believe I am saying that) in step1... I was talking with a classmate the other day who gave up applying to derm with 247 step1 score, and I am at a low tier allo institution... She said she quickly realized that scores, research, and caliber of your institution are all important to land a derm residency...
A friend of mine with a ~270 step 1/2 matched sixth on his rank list in Ortho. Granted his list was top tier program heavy, but it makes me sick to think there were probably better applications than his, and derm is even worse.

A friend of mine with a ~270 step 1/2 matched sixth on his rank list in Ortho. Granted his list was top tier program heavy, but it makes me sick to think there were probably better applications than his, and derm is even worse.
Money, prestige and/or lifestyle are the game now... There isn't a shortage of applicants with 250+ step1/2 from top US MD schools with excellent research backgrounds who are gunning for these specialties.

Did your friend attend a top 20 school? That important piece sadly counts!

I feel like after some point step score has diminishing returns, just like most things in like (MCAT 520+, for example). Ortho wants to know you can pass your OITEs and that you're pretty smart as well as a nice (clerkship grades + USMLE) and normal (Interview + LORs) person to be around, and that you're committed to ortho (research) and won't drop out halfway or [PDs nightmare] more than halfway through. That's it. Although it is true there are a lot more desirable candidates, with everything else up to par, a 245-250+ is enough in my opinion.

Anything above that is a small added benefit.

I feel like after some point step score has diminishing returns, just like most things in like (MCAT 520+, for example). Ortho wants to know you can pass your OITEs and that you're pretty smart as well as a nice (clerkship grades + USMLE) and normal (Interview + LORs) person to be around, and that you're committed to ortho (research) and won't drop out halfway or [PDs nightmare] more than halfway through. That's it. Although it is true there are a lot more desirable candidates, with everything else up to par, a 245-250+ is enough in my opinion.

Sorry I meant smart not nice having high USMLEs dosen't make you nice lol.

This is fairly true. The big red book aka the Successful Match is a good read and gives a much better perspective as to what is really important in the matching process. While the USMLE Step 1 score and research are no doubt a huge part of these ultra-competitive specialties, those alone would not explain why some individuals with a 260+ and tons of research only receive a small number of interviews while some individuals with 230s and minimal research receive 20+ interviews. He used dermatology as an example. Competency during clinical years (especially during Sub-Is) and strong letters of recs from well-known physicians in the field can pull a significant amount of weight.