Comlex score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sss88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! So I am a 3rd year DO. I only took the COMLEX and received a 549. I wanted to know at this pt with only this COMLEX score, what specialties/residency programs would I be able to apply to. Should I take USMLE1 as well or just take Step 2 along with COMLEX 2. Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! So I am a 3rd year DO. I only took the COMLEX and received a 549. I wanted to know at this pt with only this COMLEX score, what specialties/residency programs would I be able to apply to. Should I take USMLE1 as well or just take Step 2 along with COMLEX 2. Any info will be greatly appreciated!

there was an informational packet thingy from nbome it think. the one i saw was a few years dated (2011), but im sure you could find the updated one.

from what I saw, for osteopathic residencies, the average score for all the most traditionally competitive specialties was around 570. keep in mind that this was from a few years back, so its probably up a few points now. if your grades are decent and you blast your aways, id wager you have a shot at most DO residency slots.

as far as acgme residencies, i dunno.

I'm firmly in the camp that we should all take USMLE step 1. It's the better test of medical knowledge by far, and the nature of being a DO student is that there is a burden of proof that we're equivalent to our MD counterparts... especially if we are applying for ACGME residency positions.

But.... there are a few situations where it probably wouldn't be tactically beneficial, eg: 1) you're interested in a very competitive specialty and plan to apply AOA only, or 2) you're at risk of failing the USMLE Step 1 based on practice exams. If you truly have no idea what you want to do, and you take a few NBME practice tests and score well, why wouldn't you take Step 1 just to keep your options open?

Here is the advice I've given people:

If you think you can score above the average, then take it. The reason we take it is to put ourselves on the same playing field as the allo kids. If you score a 205, congratulations, you're on the same playing field AND you're below average...