COMLEX-USA Master Blueprint

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

getfat

IM Resident
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.nbome.org/Content/Exams/COMLEX-USA/COMLEX-USA_Master_Blueprint_2018-2019.pdf

One of the heads of NBOME visited my campus this week. He mentioned one of the biggest complaints he faced were that students utilized outside resources and not the NBOME itself.

Could this be a good resource? I figured we could utilize this document as a check list. So you know what specific subjects your school has not taught you and you know what you need to focus on outside of your regular studies.

This document appears to be something new the NBOME is trying. So i wanted to start a thread to discuss specific differences noted.

Members don't see this ad.

One thing I noticed immediately is the "Osteopathic Principles Practice and Maniplative Treatment". Every other aspect of this document covers specific diseases or concepts that you need to understand. This part feels broad. The only aspect that they go into specific details is treatment

I feel like this aspect is insufficient. So i'm unsure if this means that they are putting less emphasis on OPP or if this is something they haven't' improved.

"Advocate for administration of OMT in appropriate settings" isn't helpful for board prep. I don't know what I need to focus on for OMM.

One thing I noticed immediately is the "Osteopathic Principles Practice and Maniplative Treatment". Every other aspect of this document covers specific diseases or concepts that you need to understand. This part feels broad. The only aspect that they go into specific details is treatment

I feel like this aspect is insufficient. So i'm unsure if this means that they are putting less emphasis on OPP or if this is something they haven't' improved.

"Advocate for administration of OMT in appropriate settings" isn't helpful for board prep. I don't know what I need to focus on for OMM.
How can you define that which is undefinable? OMM is the breeze passing thru the trees that gently ruffles the needles that your mind places on the patients chatmans points. To capture its essence would be like designing a machine to measure the cranial rhythm, impossible, OMM is a human only endeavor and the prize gem of medicine.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"blood disorders"

that narrows it down

I always wished that these big tests had a giant manual we could memorize and then not have to fight over which resource was best

a battle of who memorizes this 1000 page thing the best

Why do you care about what the NBOME has to say or studying specifically for COMLEX?

Reactions: 1 user
Why do you care about what the NBOME has to say or studying specifically for COMLEX?
They make the test, so they could potentially be a good resource.When I studied for the MCAT I utilized the pdf that summarized all the specific concepts you needed to know. I was hoping this could be something similar but its not looking like it sadly.

and also because :Gunner Emoji: (Why isn't there a gunner emoji).

They make the test, so they could potentially be a good resource.When I studied for the MCAT I utilized the pdf that summarized all the specific concepts you needed to know. I was hoping this could be something similar but its not looking like it sadly.

and also because :Gunner Emoji: (Why isn't there a gunner emoji).
My point is that the comlex is getting closer to a pass/fail exam day by day. Very few situations will benefit from a big comlex. Study for the usmle and the comlex will follow. It's easier to go backwards.

Reactions: 3 users
My point is that the comlex is getting closer to a pass/fail exam day by day. Very few situations will benefit from a big comlex. Study for the usmle and the comlex will follow. It's easier to go backwards.
You have learned well from your COM I see.

Does the person in the picture on the first page chew their nails or something?

Who the hell has the time to go over a 71 page document and triage from it? Just use the same resources your classmates have used and move on. You won't become COMLEX wizard nor should you want to given that good USMLE should be your top priority.

Who the hell has the time to go over a 71 page document and triage from it? Just use the same resources your classmates have used and move on. You won't become COMLEX wizard nor should you want to given that good USMLE should be your top priority.

Personally, I was more worried about a scenario where I had an average USMLE but a failed COMLEX.

I'm starting to see this trend up specifically at my own school. Past students did great on USMLE but failed COMLEX by a point.

One big thing i've noticed is that a ton of students say the same thing. "There is no prep for COMLEX, the questions are trash and you will say WTF when you are taking it".

There has to be some kind of method to this madness to COMLEX. So i was hoping to start a thread talking about it. Idk if NBOME has ever had a document like this but at least it is something different than they previously did. Before it was just "focus on your studies and you'll do fine. TRUST US AND NO ONE ELSE" They are taking some kind of step forward to clarify what we should be looking at.

I'm not saying we should become OMM gurus but theres a significant portion of DOs that will have to take COMLEX only. Whether it is because they are at the below average, bad test takers or they just really want an residency with osteopathic recognition.

Personally, I was more worried about a scenario where I had an average USMLE but a failed COMLEX.

I'm starting to see this trend up specifically at my own school. Past students did great on USMLE but failed COMLEX by a point.

One big thing i've noticed is that a ton of students say the same thing. "There is no prep for COMLEX, the questions are trash and you will say WTF when you are taking it".

There has to be some kind of method to this madness to COMLEX. So i was hoping to start a thread talking about it. Idk if NBOME has ever had a document like this but at least it is something different than they previously did. Before it was just "focus on your studies and you'll do fine. TRUST US AND NO ONE ELSE" They are taking some kind of step forward to clarify what we should be looking at.

I'm not saying we should become OMM gurus but theres a significant portion of DOs that will have to take COMLEX only. Whether it is because they are at the below average, bad test takers or they just really want an residency with osteopathic recognition.
Well, if you look at my steps and my COMLEX, you'll definitely see I did better on the steps, so there's some truth to it. On the other hand, most of my score was trashed by OMM. I would suggest taking OMM very seriously and being strong in it if you don't want to worry about COMLEX. I'm convinced you don't need to know much of anything else to pass the exam. If you don't know OMM, you have to know a lot from the other sections. But who knows? Maybe you guys won't have COMLEX that's 30% OMM like mine was

Well, if you look at my steps and my COMLEX, you'll definitely see I did better on the steps, so there's some truth to it. On the other hand, most of my score was trashed by OMM. I would suggest taking OMM very seriously and being strong in it if you don't want to worry about COMLEX. I'm convinced you don't need to know much of anything else to pass the exam. If you don't know OMM, you have to know a lot from the other sections. But who knows? Maybe you guys won't have COMLEX that's 30% OMM like mine was
second this. My test was at least 20% OMM, I counted over 20 questions in multiple sections. Now some of it was OMM pretending to be nuero, but when you see enough of OMM you can tell the difference.