Comlex/usmle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rayjoon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if you guys are going to take the USMLE's (feel free to elaborate, because I'm just a *******)

Members don't see this ad.

rayjoon said:
Just wondering if you guys are going to take the USMLE's (feel free to elaborate, because I'm just a *******)

I'm taking both.

There are multiple reasons why for me. I know this has been discuessed in the past and you can do asearch on it or you can search ventdependant's posts cause I know he has posted his reasons why or why not to take the USMLE in addition to the COMLEX before. :)

here's why i am taking it: i tend to do poorly in poorly written tests and i hear COMLEX is one of those. some people can get past the wording and figure out what they want from u but i need a well written exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Su4n2 said:
here's why i am taking it: i tend to do poorly in poorly written tests and i hear COMLEX is one of those. some people can get past the wording and figure out what they want from u but i need a well written exam.

Can someone shed some light on this...
I remember at the SOMA conference last spring we were told that the COMLEX would be available to the class of 2007 on the computer. Recently, on SDN, I have read that it would not be available on computer until October, 2005 . What's the real deal?
Thanks!

This is correct, you will only be able to take it on computer in 2005 if you fail it in August. But Step 2 will be computerized before then, I believe.

Su4n2 said:

Ill level with you. It was poorly written but easier, in my opinion. I took both tests and did very well on both tests, and I came out of the COMLEX bitching about how awful it was, but in all honesty, it was easier than the USMLE, which required almost complete third and fourth-order knowledge to succeed. The COMLEX, while hard to read sometimes, was almost exclusively straightforward.

Almost universally, I have been hearing from people who took the USMLE at my school that they are beating the mean, but not substantially enough to make it worthwhile. If you are going to take both, make sure that you give yourself enough time to prepare for the USMLE after the COMLEX, because you really need to readjust your thinking for the USMLE, not to mention putting away the micro and OMT books and picking up a biochem text.

Endocrinology was very high yield on both tests, for anyone curious about something universal.

idio, what about taking USMLE b-4 COMLEX? my school gives us six weeks. i am just worried that after 2 days of tests i won't be able to start studying again. if the major diff is biohem/stats extra for the USMLE that does not seem too bad, but how did u prepare differently for both tests?

With COMLEX you can get away with doing no practice questions, I believe. However, there is really no set protocol for studying for the exam, as of yet. The differences between the two exams are greater than just content. I took the USMLE two weeks after the COMLEX, and I was prepared, but I think if you take the USMLE before the COMLEX you are hurting your chances at the test you have to take. I would get that one out of the way, honestly, and then spend 8-10 days studying things like pharm, physio, biochem, stats, behavioral, and some cell bio/genetics, if you feel like you have path down cold!

I will reiterate that I think 70% of the USMLE can be handled if you have a very good working knowledge of pathological processes.

Su4n2 said:
i am just worried that after 2 days of tests i won't be able to start studying again.

Dont take it if you cant put in the time to study for two tests. Honestly, I think a lot of people I know who took both regret it now, because they didnt necessarily distinguish themselves on either.

The only reason you need to consider taking the USMLE Step 1 is because some allopathic residency programs require it. Not knowing which residencies I might want as of yet, I took the USMLE (2 days after COMLEX) because I'd rather take it and not need it than need it and not have it. Other than reviewing OMT for COMLEX and biostats for USMLE, I didn't separate my studying for the two, and I did well on both. Personally, I believe the best strategy is to learn the material thorougly in class the first time around. Usually, the best correlate to either test grade are class rank and grades.

Here is a really dumb question............. do they teach Bio-CHem to the same extent that it is taught at Allopathic institutions?? But whateverthey do teach, it does not show up at all on the COMPLEX very often??

Do most Internal medicine residencies require the USMLE or will the COMPLEX suffice??

MOST IM residencies will take COMLEX.

I have no idea what the hell COMPLEX is.....

VentdependenT said:
What is bio chem? I thought our cells ran on magic.

I thought your cells ran on crystal meth.....

Kind of a subset of biochem, no?

I am seeing you guys mention OMT on the COMLEX but about 2 years ago I was checking licensing requirements for potential states I will practice in... and I remember reading Florida did not accept the COMLEX because it did not test OMT which is what really distinguishes DOs from MDs. Did something change in the past 2 years?

I am not sure where you read that but all DOs need to take and pass all 3 steps of the COMLEX to be liscensed to practice medicine. The PE part of the COMLEX (I think it's that part) deals with OMM.

As for me, I'm looking into FP or IM so I'm may just take the COMLEX since allopathic primary care residencies generally accept just COMLEX scores.

OnMyWayThere said:
I am seeing you guys mention OMT on the COMLEX but about 2 years ago I was checking licensing requirements for potential states I will practice in... and I remember reading Florida did not accept the COMLEX because it did not test OMT which is what really distinguishes DOs from MDs. Did something change in the past 2 years?

Since FL is one of the five states that requires an AOA/AOA approved internship, and AOA programs only look at COMLEX scores (or at least, they only require COMLEX scores--for some reason there is a space to list USMLE scores on their generic catch-all application, but this is an entirely different tangent), then I can't see why FL would have ever not taken COMLEX.

Plus, COMLEX is now recognized by all 50 states. So, nothing to worry about on that front.

OMM is poorly tested by COMLEX, but, then again, so is everything else....

Maybe it speaks to the fact that they will not accept the COMLEX exclusively for licensure. In other words, they require you to do an AOA-approved internship year as well.

Idiopathic said:
Maybe it speaks to the fact that they will not accept the COMLEX exclusively for licensure. In other words, they require you to do an AOA-approved internship year as well.

Perhaps that what it was... too bad I cannot find the source where I read it, but it is two years later. Anyway, thanks all for answering.

Idiopathic said:

To clarify, Louisiana was the last state to recognize COMLEX, and that's been at least two years ago.....so I'm not sure what OnMyWay read--it would have had to have been more than a couple of years old (i.e.-already old when he found it).

But idio, I love your quote....I heard that tonight, and laughed my ass off....

HussainGQ said:
Here is a really dumb question............. do they teach Bio-CHem to the same extent that it is taught at Allopathic institutions?? But whateverthey do teach, it does not show up at all on the COMPLEX very often??

Not having attended an allopathic institution, I couldn't comment on how bio-chem is taught vs an osteopathic school. But as for how it is tested- in my personal experience (anyone else's may be different), I didn't see much difference in the scope of biochemistry tested on the two tests. Neither test dealt too much on obscure minutia, but both required me to know the common pathways cold.