comments on FA 2009?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dingleberry007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for those that have a copy of FA 2009, any comments or opinions on it thus far? Do you like what you see? Any drastic difference from the previous copy?

Members don't see this ad.

I have noticed a few new sections here and there in the biochem and physio sections I have looked at (compared to FA 2007).

The vignettes are missing. I don't get why they did that. The ones in the micro section actually helped me for that shelf exam. Glad I saved my old FA!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree w/ Zona. I never really found them that helpful. I feel Goljan's clinical snip-its are much more helpful.

i just got 2009 and i have 2008. the sections are pretty much the same. However, there is def. more info in the 2009 one, and a lot more pictures included into the systems based sections directly in with the specific sections so you dont have to look in the back for the pics. The best part about 2009 is that it looks like they fixed the mistakes that were reported for the 2008 edition. I looked at the errata for 2008 and looked them up in the 2009 edition, they were fixed. ( i just looked at randoms ones, not the whole thing. http://firstaidteam.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/step-1-errata-060108.pdf) So all in all i think its worth it, esp because its a pain going into your book and fixing all the mistakes. (please bear in mind i did not check all the errors) The only drawback is that i have transfer all my damn notes over now....:thumbdown: Hope this helps guys!! Good luck wit school and board prep!!!

sry what i meant was that, they kept the same material and format from 2008 but just added more topics into each section. I think one would be just fine using 2008, but just remember to reference the errata. (im sure there will be mistakes in the 2009 version as well, but its nice to have the ones from 08 fixed :)) Hope that helps!

Already found an error. Nephron physiology - Proximal Convoluted Tubule -

Read the section on Proximal Convoluted Tubule. Under the subsection of ATII - since when have you known the RAAS (Renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system) to favor Na / H20 excretion? Change excretion to reabsorption and it makes a bit more sense.

well, I do hope they have corrected the mistakes in the 2008
In any case, I'll have the 2008 errata in my hand when I go through the 2009's... I might as well have the 2008's .pdf version to check the vignettes... I do find them useful
I'll let you know if I got any mistakes!

If you found an error submit it at firstaidteam.com. Also check that site for errata. It also has some other posts that might be worth looking at (like practice questions).

clinical vignettes were taken out for 2009 so they could add them in for 2010 and plug that as part of the 'new and improved'.

What does anybody make of the First Aid Basic Sciences and First Aid Organ Systems books? It seems like they're comprehensive reviews of the first two years of medical school...I tried searching for a thread on this subject but haven't found one. I saw them the other day at the bookstore and they look quite amazing, but I'm already set with my resources. Has anyone seen these as well? Perhaps First Aid will be standard text beginning first year...?