Comments on my list of schools to apply to next cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crys20

make it happen!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Just thought I'd see if anyone could point out any schools to apply to, or ones you'd recommend taking off...This is my tentative list of ones to apply to this June...3.5 GPA/30R MCAT (8PS, 10VR, 12BS), good ECS....Thanks guys!! Oh yes, Ohio resident also.

OSU
Case
Wright State
MCO
Cincinatti

Albany
Temple
Tulane
Finch
Wake Forest
NYMC
University of Vermont
Vandy (this is my reach)
Jefferson

And 3 DO schools; OUCOM, AZCOM, NSU.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd add Penn State & Drexel

Also, don't sell yourself short. My stats are sorta like yours. At the last minute I added a few more reach schools to my list... and what do you know. Most top schools are ignoring me, but Duke acutally interviewed an idiot like me :D

Good luck :luck: Apply early, and you'll have a better shot at these schools.

Add MSUCOM and Wayne

Members don't see this ad :)
Add MCW. It's a good school that's constantly getting better.

Definitely apply early... you won't regret it.

Consider one or two of the SUNY's, but keep track of whether or not they're going to pass the tuition hike. And if you like Case, you should add Pitt.

Different schools look for different types of students, so I agree with tinkerbelle and would recommend adding a little variety to try to cover all the bases.

def add 2-3 more reach schools.

uclabruin2003 said:
def add 2-3 more reach schools.
I agree. Also, don't add Harvard, UCSF, WashU, Stanford, etc. unless you are an olympian.

Yeah, reach schools are one thing, but sheer impossibilities are another :laugh:. I learned that lesson.

I see you "don't give a damn for the whole state of Michigan...." :D

AStudent said:
I see you "don't give a damn for the whole state of Michigan...." :D

leave off the d.o. schools and just apply to more m.d. schools

unless u wanna go d.o. :thumbdown:

Slippery Pete said:
leave off the d.o. schools and just apply to more m.d. schools

unless u wanna go d.o. :thumbdown:

I agree, I don't think applying osteopathic is necessary.

patzan said:
I agree. Also, don't add Harvard, UCSF, WashU, Stanford, etc. unless you are an olympian.

My stats are similar: 3.5 (engineering) and 32R. Good personal statements and letters from people who really know you go a long way. If your extracurriculars are solid or unusual, top schools may just take a look at you. ALL of my safety schools rejected me (one without secondary, even though my mom went there for her MD '87 and MS '03) but Harvard gave me an interview. I didn't try UCSF or WashU. Stanford rejected me.

If you like California (who doesn't? :)), I would add USC.

thanks everyone!! i really appreciate the replies. i had completely overlooked drexel, and USC will be a good reach and a dream location.

any thoughts on applying to yale as another reach? is that one of the 'impossibilities'...trust me i have no delusions that i'm a yale quality applicant :)

i'm a lukewarm d.o. person, if i got rejected from every md and got into d.o. i'd go, and i'd be happy and it wouldn't matter. i love how it gives me the security of knowing that i will probably be going SOMEWHERE, you know? but yes, still hoping for an allo acceptance.

If you would be happy as a DO, then by all means apply. Don't let someone dissuade you - DOs are physicians too.

Wow, we are pretty much in the exact same boat. I had a thread about this about a week ago.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=178623

here's the list i'm working with so far (Alabama resident):

Univ. of Alabama-Birmingham
Univ. of South Alabama
Wake Forest
George Washington
Finch
Emory (prolly a reach)
Rush
Northwestern (reach, i know)
New York Medical College
Case Western
Drexel
Jefferson
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Tulane
Cincy
UVA

there's nothing wrong with applying to DO schools, of course. however, as an ohio resident with a 3.5/30, unless you're a terrible interviewee, you'll get into at least one of the cincy/wright state/mco trio--so feel free to remove the DO schools, if you'd like to save the money (or just leave oucom as a safety).

good luck.

sd

edit: you could also add neoucom as a back-up.

indeed..i actually think i'm a good interview :) and i do hope to get in someplace. my 3.5 has a big upward trend in it which could be good or bad i guess...what it comes down to is a couple Cs and a D my first quarter of freshman year.

how are the acceptance rates for traditional neoucom applicants?

upward trend = good

Especially if you GPA is already at the average for matriculants.

crys20 said:
how are the acceptance rates for traditional neoucom applicants?
according to the MSAR: instate applicants = 521
applicants interviewed = 104
new entrants = 33

now, since neoucom isn't exactly one of the premier med schools in ohio, the smart money is on them accepting a large percentage of their interviewees to meet that new entrant figure of 33. moral of the story, your chances there are as good, if not better than pretty much anywhere else you're applying.

enjoy the process! :)

sd