comments please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc Henry

blowin' in the wind
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't taken the mcat yet and can't take it until August which means I will be later than I'd like in the app cycle for class of 2008. I would love advice about schools I am planning on applying to and any suggestions and more schools that are OOS friendly!

Thanks, and I will be sure to return the favor!

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't taken the mcat yet and can't take it until August which means I will be later than I'd like in the app cycle for class of 2008. I would love advice about schools I am planning on applying to and any suggestions and more schools that are OOS friendly!

Thanks, and I will be sure to return the favor!

totally depends on your mcat score

I know it sucks to hear this but it's very hard to give advice about schools until we know your MCAT score. Maybe not what you wanted to hear

Members don't see this ad :)
Why don't you throw a few higher ranked private schools (US News and World Report) schools. They may show you some OOS love. A strong MCAT will definitely help you out with the OOS issue.

I know it sucks to hear this but it's very hard to give advice about schools until we know your MCAT score. Maybe not what you wanted to hear
Agree with Anastasis.

I applied to 37 schools since I didn't know my MCAT. Glad I did, as it allowed me to be complete much sooner than most August MCATers, but it still hurt.

Incidentally, I had a 3.8 GPA, a 30 MCAT (granted, with a low Bio score) and solid LORs/ECs and I came out with only 3 interviews. Caveat emptor when you're applying blind...

Agree with Anastasis.

I applied to 37 schools since I didn't know my MCAT. Glad I did, as it allowed me to be complete much sooner than most August MCATers, but it still hurt.

Incidentally, I had a 3.8 GPA, a 30 MCAT (granted, with a low Bio score) and solid LORs/ECs and I came out with only 3 interviews. Caveat emptor when you're applying blind...

Yeah, but UCSF is not the run of the mill interview...:D

I appreciate responses. I know its hard to say without an MCAT. Thats why I am mostly looking for advice on the schools who are more accepting of OOSers. Problem is that a lot of top tier privates are not my style (the ones that focus on research). I'm not interested in research (other than clinical) so I haven't spent a ton of time on that part of my app.

No problem. I understand, thanks for looking though

Agree with Anastasis.

You said that by applying to 37 schools before taking the mcat it allowed you to complete much earlier than other August MCATers... Can you tell me how that works. I am more than a little nervous about applying later in the cycle given my mid range numbers..

You said that by applying to 37 schools before taking the mcat it allowed you to complete much earlier than other August MCATers... Can you tell me how that works.
Many folks who take the August MCAT do not apply until they get their results. This is great in theory, because if you wait, you will know your MCAT score and can apply to an intelligent list of schools.

I chose to apply in June, along with most everybody else. About 3/4 of the schools I applied to sent me a secondary, even though I didn't have any MCAT score. I responded to most of the secondaries over the summer. Then, when the scores came out in October, I was instantly complete at most schools.

The folks who waited, while they saved some moolah, had to wait for their secondaries (sometimes for weeks and weeks) and then write a bunch of them at a hellish pace. Many folks who did it this week were not complete until December at lots of places.

Applying early is better. But if you can't do to the MCAT, I think it's worth it to do whatever you can to hedge your bets, even if it costs a bit more.

Best of luck with all this, Doc Henry. It's maddening enough as it is and knowing you're applying later makes it moreso. But it'll all work out in the end.

i'm an august mcater who also submitted all my secondaries (that I possibly could) before getting my MCAT scores. highly, highly recommended, do not wait unless you really feel unsure about your ability to buckle down and prepare for the MCAT. ended up with three late interviews, not great but it's something.