committee letter from undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

no game pimp

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey everyone,
i was a miserable student in undergrad (graduated 2004). i was lucky to graduate on time. so basically, i don't know if i should get a letter of recommendation from my undergrad's pre-med committee. For alums, they just write a composite letter based on a personal statement, CV, and letters that you have submitted to them.

i've been taking classes at my state university part time since i graduated. i don't qualify for getting a letter from their committee (not enough credits, one c, need a minimum of b's), so i couldn't do that...

i want to apply to master's programs this upcoming cycle-- should i just send in individual letters from recent profs and doctors, or go through my undergraduate committee, and get them to submit a composite letter for me?

i dont' know if i would be at a disadvantage for submitting individual letters and not bothering to go through my alma mater.

any advice would be appreciated.
 
I just got into a masters program...and depending on the program...you have to submit multiple letters...it isn't like medical school that requires a composite letter....atleast the program that I applied to.

I got the premed committee to send out the letters that they required to write a composite letter...does that make sense? I also asked an employer, a physician, and another prof to write me a letter of rec.

I think you would be better off asking individuals to write the letters assuming that you did well in their clases...just my opinion..hope it helps.
 
As a general rule, I don't think most master's programs are as picky about having a committee letter as med schools are. So just sending in your individual letters should be fine.