committee letter versus individual letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProspectiveButterfly

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a non-traditional applicant doing a postbacc somewhere different from where I graduated. I'm wondering if it would be accepted for me to obtain individual letters of rec instead of getting a committee composite letter, even though the school I'm currently attending for the post bacc offers one? Any advice is greatly appreciated!! Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It’s all the same, you will not look frowned up for using LOR’s instead of a committee letter. Just use LOR’s from Professor you built relationships with.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, I'm a non-traditional applicant taking a nontraditional DIY post bacc at a different university from where I graduated. I'm wondering if it would be accepted for me to obtain individual letters of rec instead of getting a committee composite letter, even though the school I'm currently attending for the post bacc offers one? I'm very nervous because I have already collected 4 great individual letters through interfolio and I would rather use those. Any advice, especially about how the University of MD handles rec letters, is greatly appreciated!! Thank you
Some schools care most of them not. I have seen this that they accept individual letters if your school doesn't write committee letter. Did your undergrad have one?

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools care most of them not. I have seen this that they accept individual letters if your school doesn't write committee letter. Did your undergrad have one?
My undergrad school writes one depending on if they think you're a strong applicant and I currently don't meet their requirements. For the school I'm doing a postbacc in right now, I also don't meet their requirements because they want 3 rec letters from their own school from professors in different disciples. Do you know if dental schools accept individual letters if you don't meet the requirements for the committee letter?

My undergrad school writes one depending on if they think you're a strong applicant and I currently don't meet their requirements. For the school I'm doing a postbacc in right now, I also don't meet their requirements because they want 3 rec letters from their own school from professors in different disciples. Do you know if dental schools accept individual letters if you don't meet the requirements for the committee letter?
Every dental school accepts LOR’s. Some schools don’t accept committee letters

Of course they accept individual letters and if you ask me strong individual letters are better than an average committee letter. Only one or two schools maybe care if its written by committee or not. Focus on the other aspects of your application. You should be fine with letters.

Every dental school accepts LOR’s. Some schools don’t accept committee letters
Okay, thank you. I was just a bit concerned because for some schools they say "strongly prefer" committee letter, but if no such committee is available then individual letters are okay. So would that include if my school HAS a committee program, but I just don't qualify for it?

Okay, thank you. I was just a bit concerned because for some schools they say "strongly prefer" committee letter, but if no such committee is available then individual letters are okay. So would that include if my school HAS a committee program, but I just don't qualify for it?
If you do not qualify for the committee program and cannot get a committee letter, then sending individuals LORs is 100% fine. The only questionable scenario is if an applicant is able to obtain a committee letter and instead chooses to send individual letters to dental schools that specify preferring a committee letter.

Some schools explicitly state they prefer a committee letter if it is offered.
Ya and they also say letters from 4-year universities only, but still get accepted with letters from community college professors.

Ya and they also say letters from 4-year universities only, but still get accepted with letters from community college professors.
Two of my letters were written by CC professors who I did significant ECs with.

My UG did not offer committee letters. worked fine for me.

People will always tell you do this, do that. SDN is very exaggerated.

Very true. My comment was mostly to inform the OP to look into the individual admissions policies. Most schools I’ve seen will take either individual letters or a committee letter but a few (Stony Brook for example), explicitly state that they prefer the committee letter if it is offered.

Members don't see this ad :)
agreed. I very briefly participated in some part of our admissions committee stuff. at least at my school, its a lot more informal than it may seem.

All of the 'requirements' are ideal if they can be met, but I found they are a lot more flexible than one may think. They really just want someone who will succeed in the program, pay them the $$, and hopefully contribute positively to the profession in the future.

agreed. I very briefly participated in some part of our admissions committee stuff. at least at my school, its a lot more informal than it may seem.

All of the 'requirements' are ideal if they can be met, but I found they are a lot more flexible than one may think. They really just want someone who will succeed in the program, pay them the $$, and hopefully contribute positively to the profession in the future.
Yep

Thanks for the insights. In my case, I only had 1 letter from a science professor (Also my only college letter). I had 3 other strong letters that really helped my case. Based on your comment, and on my and @DocStranger ‘s experiences, I think OP will probably do just fine. On the other hand, a committee letter could be helpful if individual letters are weak.

From your experiences, do any schools attach individual letters to their committee letters? My undergrad’s Pre-health committee informed us that they did this but I’m not sure if this is the case at other schools.

From your experiences, do any schools attach individual letters to their committee letters? My undergrad’s Pre-health committee informed us that they did this but I’m not sure if this is the case at other schools.
What do you mean by 'attach'? I didn't have access to the internal view of AADSAS, but my understanding over here is they basically do a print out of your entire app and separate it into PS, Resume/ECs, and letters.

They have a team in the Admissions that screens through stuff like GPA/DAT, state residency etc and then the apps get moved up to professors and actual dentists.

Could vary on your specific UG school, but in my opinion the vast majority of pre-health advisors are wrong on a whole lot of things.

Sometimes they give detrimental advice as well. Mine told me I should not apply and I would definitely not get in anywhere as I applied in my late teens. I also did a mock interview with them and they told me everything I said was completely wrong as I talked about personal things I cared about, i.e. my faith which was a 'taboo' topic.

I completely ignored their advice, spent my dental school interviews just chatting and yes we did talk about religion and race and no it did not harm me at all as I had the sense to keep it professional. And it worked out just fine for me. So take everything they say with a huge grain of salt. My pre-health advisor later told me on graduation day he only had this job as he himself could never get into med school...

What do you mean by 'attach'? I didn't have access to the internal view of AADSAS, but my understanding over here is they basically do a print out of your entire app and separate it into PS, Resume/ECs, and letters.

They have a team in the Admissions that screens through stuff like GPA/DAT, state residency etc and then the apps get moved up to professors and actual dentists.
I mean the committee letter submission also includes the full original letters of references used in the preparation of the committee letter. As I understand it, the letter was a composite committee letter where they referenced and quoted the individual letters of reference.

When OP was asking if a committee letter was better than individual letters, I was wondering if they had to be mutually exclusive. In my case, they were not mutually exclusive.

Last edited:
I graduated from a university that offers committee letters but I chose not to use it. Applied to 4 schools and got accepted to all 4. IMO, the committee letter adds absolutely nothing but adds more moving parts to the already complicated process which leads to more points of failure and delays. committee letters are just a sorry excuse for the administrators at our bloated universities to feel more relevant by making up steps no one needs or aske for.

Reactions: 2 users
I graduated from a university that offers committee letters but I chose not to use it. Applied to 4 schools and got accepted to all 4. IMO, the committee letter adds absolutely nothing but adds more moving parts to the already complicated process which leads to more points of failure and delays. committee letters are just a sorry excuse for the administrators at our bloated universities to feel more relevant by making up steps no one needs or aske for.
If you don't mind me asking, which schools did you apply to?