Committee Letter vs. Individual LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Topspin82

Shaken *and* Stirred
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
Just a briefing on where I am in life...In graduate school now doing my MS in Biomedical Science - Hematology/Immunology, doing research in a cancer lab, training as a volunteer to be part of team that responds to disasters (natural and whatnot), basically doing everything in my power to strengthen my med school application. I studied in NYC for the first two years, then 9/11 hit, I got depressed and moved back home and went to a state school where my GPA blossomed again. During that time, I did a lot of undergraduate research in inflammation. Research is my forte at the moment, but I do love interacting with patients.

ANYWAYS, my main concern is whether or not I should use the committee letter that my old undergraduate (school #2) can provide. I did a lot of maturing now, and at a different place, and I doubt that my old professors, except for a couple, can really add to my application. I'm in a position now to get fabulous letters of recommendation from my graduate school professors and PI, which can constitute healthy individual letters of recommendation. BUT, I've been reading the forums and they emphasize the committee letter. I went to a large state school and I'm afraid that my letter will look processed and/or get lost in the shuffle. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You should definitely use a committee letter if you can. Some schools will even ask you to explain why do you don't have one if your institution offers one.

I might be missing something but why not get one at the institution where your advisors can give you "fabulous" letters? Chances are the people on the pre-health committee writing the letter will know some of your advisors be more inclined to give you a favorable letter based off of their coworkers’ recommendations. Also, get some fantastic letters of recommendation. Letters that are only so-so, don't really do anything. All of your letters should be glowing.

Topspin82 said:
ANYWAYS, my main concern is whether or not I should use the committee letter that my old undergraduate (school #2) can provide. I did a lot of maturing now, and at a different place, and I doubt that my old professors, except for a couple, can really add to my application. I'm in a position now to get fabulous letters of recommendation from my graduate school professors and PI, which can constitute healthy individual letters of recommendation. BUT, I've been reading the forums and they emphasize the committee letter. I went to a large state school and I'm afraid that my letter will look processed and/or get lost in the shuffle. Any advice would be much appreciated.
I am a non trad (nurse) and never got a pre committee letter. my LOR's were from 1 DO, 2 MD's. and like in your case, only 2 sci teachers remembered me so I got one from them. if you use just LOR's just make sure you add an additional letter on why you're not using a committee letter...otherwise your app may get held up by the secretary. it happened on 4 of mine!!!! but I was never asked in interviews why i didn't have one so.....choose which ever "paper" sounds better. good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
ClosetNerd said:
You should definitely use a committee letter if you can. Some schools will even ask you to explain why do you don't have one if your institution offers one.

I might be missing something but why not get one at the institution where your advisors can give you "fabulous" letters? Chances are the people on the pre-health committee writing the letter will know some of your advisors be more inclined to give you a favorable letter based off of their coworkers’ recommendations. Also, get some fantastic letters of recommendation. Letters that are only so-so, don't really do anything. All of your letters should be glowing.

I asked the pre-health committee at the school where I'm currently attending and they say that they only cater to the undergrads of their school (which I think is unfair). I'll still hit up my professors and bosses for letters of recommendation but it's more of the debate between a committee letter and individual LORs.

Topspin82 said:
Hi everyone!
Just a briefing on where I am in life...In graduate school now doing my MS in Biomedical Science - Hematology/Immunology, doing research in a cancer lab, training as a volunteer to be part of team that responds to disasters (natural and whatnot), basically doing everything in my power to strengthen my med school application. I studied in NYC for the first two years, then 9/11 hit, I got depressed and moved back home and went to a state school where my GPA blossomed again. During that time, I did a lot of undergraduate research in inflammation. Research is my forte at the moment, but I do love interacting with patients.

Topspin,
I'm in a very similar situation as you. I did not get my undergrad in the US but I went to graduate school here. I can get excellent LORs from my PIs and profs from grad school and from my current employer/PI. I moved from that city and I'm taking my pre-reqs at a different school in a different state. However, just like you, I heard that a committee letter carried more weight. So, I went to the pre-health advisor at the current school to ask about a committee letter. I was told that I needed to have at least 30 hours from the current school to qualify for one and I will only have 22 hours by the time I finish all my prereqs (I had taken some prereqs at my previous school). I was also told that in cases such as mine and probably yours, explaining the situation is usually sufficient. I don't how true it is, but that's what I have been informed. Hope this helps.

I'm loving the response and feedback from you guys. Keep it up! I know I have some time, although not that much time, to figure this situation out. Just goes to show you that there's no clear cut method or way to get into medical school. :oops:

Topspin82 said:
I'm loving the response and feedback from you guys. Keep it up! I know I have some time, although not that much time, to figure this situation out. Just goes to show you that there's no clear cut method or way to get into medical school. :oops:

You might also want to check out the non-trad forum, there is a very similar thread (LOR/committee letter) going there as well.

Topspin82 said:
Just goes to show you that there's no clear cut method or way to get into medical school. :oops:
nope, it's a crapshoot. admissions committee are human too. one year you're app looks great, next year it sucks. all you can do is keep trying, apply everywhere (within reason), and go from there

Topspin82 said:
Hi everyone!

Quite a few med schools like the committee letter over individual LORs. My uGrad compiles a package of the LORs and also sends a committee letter. What you may want to do is interview with the board again and they'll either write a new committee letter or put an addendum on it. Also, having extra or replacement LORs does not hurt, particularly if you have done something noteworthy as it seems you have. Best of luck.