Committee letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Okemu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work at a very large small animal hospital (70+ doctors). It is the backbone of all my animal experience (probably 2000+ hours when I apply) so I feel like this LOR is very important. The person in the hospital who knows me best (by far) is my supervisor, a vet tech. I will definitely be asking her for a letter, but wonder how I should go about asking the doctors. The owners are well known at some vet schools, so I want their names on my letter (one admissions director told me, "You'd be all set with a letter from [hospital owner]") and another few doctors are well-recognized in their fields, such as neurology and surgery. I have spent time with all the doctors in the hospital, including the owners, enough so that I am sure they wold sign/write a letter for me, but the doctors that I spend the most time with are the emergency doctors (which is helpful because I am interested in small animal emergency and critical care), including one who I see as my regular DVM.

I've read this board long enough to know that I should ask the person who knows me best to write the letter. But how does a committee letter work? How many doctors can I ask to sign it? I can think of 5 different doctors whose names would add to my application. What if a vet tech writes it? Can I submit more than one letter from one source of experience? (i.e. one from my supervisor and one or more from the doctors)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Can I ask what hospital you are at? Just curious because I am considering the same problem with working at a large hospital. :)

i would personally call and ask the school(s) you are applying to, how you should go about it. if you can submit more than one letter from the same hospital, i would have the vet tech write one letter and the doctor(s) write another. that's just my opinion! :D i'm not familiar with committee letters, so i don't know how that works.