Committee Letters

Started by JIKJen124
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JIKJen124

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Many schools do pre-health "Committee Letters" of recommendation, including the school I'm currently attending. Apparently having one of these letters included in med school applications is a big deal. It's always been my impression that it isn't necessary for vet med. Does anybody have any experience with these? I'm not sure whether I should have the school do one for me or not, and I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on the matter. My general inclination is no because it would be better have a rec from a prof who knows me well instead of a committee where one or two know me but others do not.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Jen
 
I'm by no means an expert in this, but I know that most schools prefer to NOT receive committee letters--some even expressly forbid sending them. There are a few schools--I want to say Penn and Tufts here, but correct me if I'm wrong--that are fine with committee letters. I don't think there are any schools that require a committee letter.
 
Thanks for your insights!

The Health Sciences committee seems rather bent on preparting one for them, and since I only have to provide them with an autobiography, I will let them write it. I probably won't end up using it but it can't hurt to have it ready to go just in case.

Jen

chickenboo said:
I'm by no means an expert in this, but I know that most schools prefer to NOT receive committee letters--some even expressly forbid sending them. There are a few schools--I want to say Penn and Tufts here, but correct me if I'm wrong--that are fine with committee letters. I don't think there are any schools that require a committee letter.