common on-call problems and what to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I guess I assumed when docB gave ranges, they were talking about ranges for us, and we'd write in the dosage in the order.

I think I'd be a little wary of writing ranges at first, anyway. I want to keep things as simple as possible for my feeble intern brain. ;)

Fortunately, I'll also be at a private hospital, and from what I've heard, there's a good relationship established already with nursing and ancillary staff. Not that donuts aren't good, mind you, particularly in July. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Washington Manual Internship Survival Guide. I have been looking it over before starting my Sub-I on Sunday and it seems like it is pretty helpful, including calls and what to do about it (ie, if you get a call for chest pain, tell the RN to get vitals, an EKG, and verify good IV access, +/- sublingual nitrogen & ASA while you are heading over). Hasn't anyone used this book? :confused:

Also, I like the idea of reading a few pages out of a text book per day. How do you recommend getting this format (ie, do you have to xerox the whole book?).

Thanks!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Washington Manual Internship Survival Guide. I have been looking it over before starting my Sub-I on Sunday and it seems like it is pretty helpful, including calls and what to do about it (ie, if you get a call for chest pain, tell the RN to get vitals, an EKG, and verify good IV access, +/- sublingual nitrogen & ASA while you are heading over). Hasn't anyone used this book? :confused:

Also, I like the idea of reading a few pages out of a text book per day. How do you recommend getting this format (ie, do you have to xerox the whole book?).

Thanks!

its a pretty good book, but I imagine that a few months into your internship you will outgrow it and its basic stuff. That's ok, for the price of the book.

The idea of putting a few pages from a text in your pocket is an excellent one - yes, you do either have to Xerox the entire book, a little at a time, or find a PDA title available. If you are not attached to your books, you could conceivably just rip the pages out and then put them into a binder. I cannot mutilate books this way but have started to do it with journals - not enough storage space.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for you input Fab4fan, I do agree with some of the points made here and I certainly am one who takes into the account the experience of those who have seen far more than I have. Though I would still like to see some providers be a bit more thorough in ordering certain things from the beginning I DO understand the concern over the potential for more problems from inappropriate dosing, polypharm etc...it is something for me to chew on some more. Back to the regularly scheduled thread.

If there is one book that has saved me this year, it's Tarascon's Internal Medicine & Critical Care Pocketbook. It cost maybe $10 and it is as small as pharmacopia. An absolute lifesaver, especially when you're being pimped.

If there is one book that has saved me this year, it's Tarascon's Internal Medicine & Critical Care Pocketbook. It cost maybe $10 and it is as small as pharmacopia. An absolute lifesaver, especially when you're being pimped.

Ditto - excellent book which is useful in a lot of fields (ie, not just IM).

It must have a good ACLS section because Jalopycat has RISEN FROM THE DEAD!!! :D

I use that book everyday.

My favorite EKG book is "The Only EKG book You'll Ever Need," by Thaler. A great learning/review IM book is "Step-Up to Medicine" by Agabegi and Derby. Tarascon's Pharmacopeia is great. And MGH's "Handbook to Internal Medicine" stayed in my coat pocket with the Critical Care book you mentioned.

With the exception of the "Step-Up" book, I think all of these could be used pretty frequently by most every intern.

Oxford Handbook of clinical medicine is also a fantastic book, plus you get editions for peds and gynae as well. It uses SI units though...

another source of info one might find of use is the UCSF housestaff handbook. Has some basic info on lots of common problems and is available from anywhere you have internet access:

UCSF Housestaff Handbook

I have no association with UCSF or the writers of this handbook, nor do I benefit in any way by posting the link to this reference. In no way is my posting of this information to be construed, either directly or indirectly, as my own personal recommendation for the aforementioned resource. All due diligence should be utilized before using this or any other information you receive from SDN or any other source. Medicine is an ever changing art/science and the information contained there-in may not be up to the standards of care at your particular institution. [/legal crap] :laugh:

I am finishing my internship and I can see both sides of the "not very helpful" something is not right page. Unfortunately there are all too many silly pages at night, and they can make you a little to relaxed, and you can miss the disaster.

I got a call from an ICU nurse at 1 am saying (I swear this is true) "Something is not right, his hand is shaking" Well I had a gut feeling, and a lot of respect for the nurses in the ICU, so I made a bee line for the ICU. The "hand shaking" was the patient starting to posture and being held back by the restraints. I had to tube the patient, put in a central line, and a whole host of stuff. What made me upset was that while everyone was really interested in the hand, No one notice until I got there that the patient had a fever of 109. Malignant Hyperthermia is not a pretty sight.

When I get "something is not right" I usually check it out, and if it is bogus, I just mutter to myself and go back to bed, but I would rather be in a bad mood, than miss a preventable disaster.

I trust every nurse's gut implicity, until they prove to me that I should not.

So what are you supposed to do if an order for a med expires at an inconvenient time and the pt needs it? I know what I would do...I'd just write a telephone order, but technically, that's not legal since I didn't actualy get a telephone order. It would also depend on what the drug was; I wouldn't do that for abx, cardiac meds, narcs etc.

It puts the nsg. staff in the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" position. We've got licenses to protect, too.

For the record, I have also used the "pt doesn't look right" line myself, but I always have vs, labs, etc. in addition. Those gut feelings usually turn out to be pretty good predictors of a pt who is about to crash. Sometimes you just have a situation when something is wrong and you can't quite put your finger on it, but you just know that trouble is coming. If I were the intern/resident, I'd rather get called early than have to respond when you've got a full blown code going. That's just me.

Annoyances comment is exactly why I am looking to do something else. It doesn't matter if you're conscientious and do your job well, you're still just a dumb nurse. Try getting your work done without any nurses, Annoyance. See how far you get.

It is really important to have good relationships with the nurses if you can. you may not get to know all of them. I finished one residency I'm a bit older and thinking about going back for another. I often found I would get a call and the description didn't sound like something 'so bad' but the nurse was calling and when I got there it WAS so bad. The nurse was always right, it was just that for whatever reason they weren't conveying how serious it was in some (not all) circumstances. I learned when those nurses called to GO and check things out quickly. After a short while of being an intern nurses never called me at 3am for tyelenol! they would call me at 6am before they did shift change and say "I gave someone tyelenol at 3am can you please come write the order before the shift change?" and I would say YES AND THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! It's all how you treat people.

As my father told me before I started my internship 'let your hair down and let the nurses teach you some medicine!" or at the very least how things are done on their ward. Remember you are stepping into their territory, and from their perspective it's the 'latest crop of interns who know basically nothing about how to be a doctor'

Members don't see this ad :)
Another handy tip - include in your signout to your colleagues (and them to you) what should be done for fever, whether the patient has an IV, and whether they need an IV if one falls out. It saves a ton of time at night to have that info at your fingertips provided by the person who knows the patient the best and saves the patients from unnecessary IV sticks or blood cultures.

MBK2003

here's a few personal greats from my intern year. these are comical to others, but a headache for me. enjoy, and please let's hear some other gems...

1)
it's 3:30am and my pager hasn't gone off for 20 mins. it seems my eyes are just beginning to close and i might be headed for some sleep until... pager blows up and here we go...

RN: "hi, can i please get an order for a stool softener."
MD: "umm, it's 3:30am, what's the problem."
RN: "well the pt hasn't had a BM in 7 days."
MD: "wow, that sucks. maybe they can deal with that in 3 1/2 hrs when the primary team gets here. bye, you *****."

2)
again, it's a nice ripe time, roughly 4:45am or so and the pager blows up after i've been in bed for 40mins...
RN: "hi, i was wondering if you could renew orders for Vancomycin on Pt X."
MD: "ok, when is the next dose due?"
RN: "well it looks like the next dose is due at 9am"
MD: "great, i'll let the primary team do that in 2hrs. and by the way, if you ever page me about something as stupid as this again, i'll kill you, you dumb B!@#$."

3)
another true memorable experience at around 8pm when the admits are flowing and cross-cover is at its worst as usual...
MD: "hi, i'm returning a page.."
RN: "hi i was wondering if you know whether or not the patient can eat (following some procedure by GI)? i have the chart here in front of me and the attending IM doc didn't say anything in his note. i don't see anything in your note. and in GI's note it says that the patient can go ahead and resume their diet after the procedure. oh wait, i guess i have my answer. sorry for bothering you."
MD: click...

4) and last but truly not least. this is one of the true gems of intern year from an RN who loves to over-analyze everything and she thinks she is a Dr essentially with her off-the-wall analyses of her pts. FYI - the report from the ER is that it's a homeless guy who drinks a **** ton of booze a day, admitted for frostbite after being found in an alley passed out from boozing..
MD: "hi, i'm returning a page.."
RN: "hi Dr, your new admit is on the floor"
MD: "thanks, i'm actually on the floor and walking towards that way now to see the pt."
RN: "no, problem. by the way, i'm really concerned about this patient. i just wanted to page u because i think you should see him ASAP. he's very agitated and has suicidal ideations. he needs a sitter now, and has to be transferred to the psych floor."
MD: "really? he wants to kill himself now and you're that worried?"
RN: "yes"
MD: "ok, well i'm on my way now like i said, i'll be right there. (the full time knowing that this RN is a true nightmare and i'm sure the pt is ok)."

i arrive to the room with at least 4 other RN's that she's gathered to help her with the patient since she feels he'll kill himself. i enter the room and the patient is barely arousable to a sternal rub. he is in bed SNORING and looks way too comfortable. why? because #1 he's drunk, and #2, they loaded him up with ativan or tranxene in the ER and he's gonna sleep for the next 12 hrs just like i should be. i turn to the RN (with the other 4 watching) and say, "this patient is going to kill himself? i can't even get him to move after rubbing my knuckles in his sternum. now, even if he did happen to say he's suicidal, how exactly do u think he's going to complete the act? listen, i've had enough of you. i'm done with hearing your analyses. don't ever page me again. no matter what." then i turn to the other RN's, make a wise-ass comment about said RN, and they all crack up laughing. truly one of the awesome experiences of intern year. i don't miss that stuff one bit.

Im just doing research this summer, and am not even a med student, but I just watched an intern try to kill a patient.

Surgical ICU, post CABG. Patient is midly tachycardic (HR=110), due to slightly low blood pressure. Hematocrit is also borderline low. (~29.5)

Intern wants to give the pt labelatol to lower his HR.

I know better than that. The attending countermanded the order, and ordered a unit of blood instead. (I would have ordered colloids.)

Interns, know your hemodynamics and pharmacology! (I got to listen to a 10 minute rant about how labelatol is not even close to the right beta blocker to give this patient, because it has alpha effects as well. The intern wanted to give it to him instead of other beta blockers because she hears that one used the most)

I got a call from an ICU nurse at 1 am saying (I swear this is true) "Something is not right, his hand is shaking" Well I had a gut feeling, and a lot of respect for the nurses in the ICU, so I made a bee line for the ICU. The "hand shaking" was the patient starting to posture and being held back by the restraints. I had to tube the patient, put in a central line, and a whole host of stuff. What made me upset was that while everyone was really interested in the hand, No one notice until I got there that the patient had a fever of 109. Malignant Hyperthermia is not a pretty sight.

That's a definite understatement.

Have had the luxury of treating this post intubation by a resident with anectine in the ICU. What truly sucks about MH is how rare it happens but the rapidity of treatment it requires.....thus it takes a lot of orchestrating of others.

What was the triggering agent for this patient's MH and how delayed was the onset timing vs triggering agent exposure?

Surgical ICU, post CABG. Patient is midly tachycardic (HR=110), due to slightly low blood pressure. Hematocrit is also borderline low. (~29.5)

29 crit is perfectly acceptable in a CABG pt. Why BB a hypotensive patient just because their 110 ST (unless afib prophylaxis)? Would be better served with volume or to not even Tx at all.

Yeah, I would have maybe hung some NS. Definitely not blood or colloids. HR of 110? Expected after surgery. Run in NS and recheck crit in 1-2hrs unless vital signs worsen unexpectedly.

This kind of goes w/the way the thread began... as someone starting in a week and scared to death, here are a couple questions:
1. As an intern should we go see the patient every time we are called (okay except sleep meds)?
2. If the call is inappropriate (plenty of examples above), how do we as someone put it, "educate" the staff about when not to call? What's a nice and polite way to say something like that? thx

This kind of goes w/the way the thread began... as someone starting in a week and scared to death, here are a couple questions:
1. As an intern should we go see the patient every time we are called (okay except sleep meds)?

I think it depends on how new you are, how well informed you are about the patient (is it a service or cross-cover) and what the call is for.

For a patient you know well who wants a Tylenol for a headache, you are likely safe not going to see the patient. I would be careful about sleep meds....patients love them as do the nurses, but you need to be careful especially with the elderly. Any calls about changes in mental status, significant changes in vital signs, drips that need to be started or families who want an "update", you need to go see. Although the latter is a real PITA, especially for a cross cover, there is a lot of good will to be found in a small amount of face time with the family.

It is always safer to see the patient - that way if something does go wrong, you at least have the defense that you didn't recognize the problem, rather than you just stayed in bed.

2. If the call is inappropriate (plenty of examples above), how do we as someone put it, "educate" the staff about when not to call? What's a nice and polite way to say something like that? thx

The same nice and polite way you would tell anyone that something about their behavior bothers you. If you get a call at 3 am for the "long term plan" for a patient, you simply say to the caller that you understand that they wish to know but that calling you in the middle of a 24+ hr shift at 0300 is not the best time to discuss it. You could add a little info about the hours you do work, as many of the nurses, especially the new grads you will encounter in July, think you come in at 11 pm and leave at 7 like they do (even if you're night float, you still have worse hours).

If the problem persists or places your patient in danger (ie, refusing to follow an order, a call telling you they gave your patient his meds 10 hrs late), file a complaint with the charge nurse.

1. For your first several (5-6) months on the wards/unit, the answer is yes. After that you'll develop both an understanding of who calls you w/ real concerns and who calls w/ BS and you'll have a better "sick/not sick" feel to things. That said, when in doubt, go to the bedside. And always document that you were there and what you did. The nurses will do this (appropriately) and if/when it hits the fan you need to be able to defend what you did or didn't do and why. You don't have to write a full progress note, just "called to bedside @ 0X00 by RN for X, saw Y, did Z, pt responded w/ N." Obviously if you end up sending them to the unit it will be a longer note but you need to put something in the chart.

2. A colleague of mine has a great trick. Any time he gets called, whether it's real or bogus, he asks the nurse calling him 2 questions. He makes them legit and relevant but this tends to make people think about why they're calling and also gives him a chance to do some stealth edumakashun.

3 more days and then no more cross-cover!

Kimberli Cox;5298145 The same nice and polite way you would tell anyone that something about their behavior bothers you. If you get a call at 3 am for the "long term plan" for a patient said:
This is a good reminder. June/July doesn't just bring new interns...it brings new nursing grads, too. Not every nurse you deal with is going to have a lot of experience, so try to have the patience for them that you hope others will have with you.

Sometimes nurses call cuz we set it up that way with our own "Call MD if" orders:

We've all been there
It's 1am, nurses just got done with the craziness of shift change--- and I actually have gotten a chance to sneak off into the call room for a rare nap.

Me: (trying hard to sound awake) "this is Doc Ivy with Surgery returning a page"
RN: Hi Mrs Jones had 225 cc of urine last shift
Me: (rubbing my eyes, and flipping through my sign out) umm, who's Mrs Jones?
RN Rm 704
Me Uhh??
RN Do you not know her?? (sounding annoyingly indignant)
Me not really, I'm on call and cross covering, what did she have done?
RN: Oh. "She's the sweet little old lady, a patient of Dr so and so, with the history of a hang nail ,blah blah blah..." (me, getting a bit frustrated that I've yet to hear a vital sign or the words post op day _____ from ____)
Me: How old is she?
RN: She's 82
Me: What's her heart rate and blood pressure?
RN: 68 and 140/91
Me: How much does she weigh?
RN: 57Kg
Me: So I think 225cc of urine is just fine for her
RN: Yeah the orders just said to call the house staff for UOP less than 250 per shift

What can you do!?!

Sure sure, I agree with what some of you have mentioned - that nurses can call you for some really really stupid stuff. some of these problems are problems of doing nights, and can be solved by doing your job properly at the end of the day.

I dont know how the american system works - but I understand juniors 'pre-round' before the bosses come. Do you do a post-round at the end of the day? This is a great way to quickly whizz by and say good night to everyone, review all their labs and write them down, and check that all the little things are done i.e. good patient summaries and really clear plans for the patient, analgesia/fluids all charted nicely, clear plans on what to do if they deteriorate (i.e. ceiling treatment? DNR? ICU?) . Depending on how many patients you have - this will often take you that extra half hour to an hour - but the thanks you will get from the night doctor will be worth it, not to mention your patients will love you for coming to say good evening, and you will also learn a hell of a lot about medicine just by being independent and trying to have everything covered and organised.

while im not even finished with school (2 more months of interning then Im a doc!!), i do this everyday, and needless to say the night doctor has never been called about any of my patients except the ones that were already dying, and had passed away in the night.

If a nurse calls you - Dont be a dickhead waiting for them to give you the answer on a plate. Aside from these weird protocol driven things, they're usually calling you because they don't know what to do.

So the questions to ask as soon as you pick up the phone are
"age", " well, unwell or critically ill?" "pulse, BP, temp, O2 sats, Resp Rate"
"are they distressed?" "are they in pain?"

then you need to get things in motion before you even set off - depending on the scenario you might say something like
"ok, thanks for telling me. im coming to review them. please have an ecg done by the time i get there. please have IV access ready, please put them on oxygen X litres/min via X (mask, prongs etc.) please check all their drain outputs and record things, please repeat the vitals, please send off a set of bloods (counts, renal, CRP and coags will usually cover you, if its surgery post-op - make sure they are typed and matched)

This way, half the work is done by the time you get there. All you need to do is assess them, tidy up the work theyve already done for you, and call your senior to let them know your management plan. not only will you look ace to your boss when you call him to wake him up, but the nurses will be pleased that you came and sorted it out for them and will less likely bother you again for unneccessary things cos they know youve helped them out when it mattered.

I would seriously think twice before refusing to see a patient. if a nurse tells you they are worried about someone - and you disagree and refuse to even assess them... you will probably live to regret it - but your patient may not. not to mention you will be landed in court and have a hard time explaining why you didnt assess the patient, if the **** hits the fan.

and always document your findings and DONT lie just because you forgot to do something.

If you will keep up with it you will find that most of the time these nurses that say "something's not right" or "he doesn't look right" will be wrong 99.9% of the time. They get it right 3 times a year and spend the rest of the year saying "I always know, remember that time I said so and so didn't look right, he died". They don't remember the 200 other calls when the patient was just fine, nothing was needed, and they went home the next day.

It's pretty funny really.

That said you can't ignore it because a there are a few exceptional ones that use those expressions only rarely and they are experienced enough to know WHEN to use it. If those few do use it then they are right a good portion of the time.

Good relationships are with the nurses is a great thing, but there is something you need to learn quickly. You need to learn which ones you can trust, and which ones are FOS. You will need to go see the patients owned by the FOS nurses because just like they are wrong about the ones they think are gravely ill, they have gravely ill patients that they don't realize are sick.

The ones you can trust to be accurate are worth their weight in gold.

The other ones make your life miserable due to you having to double check everything, then add in their stupid calls on top of that and you have a bad night.

PS there's a thread for call stories in this fourm, it's a pretty good read.

Back to the topic at hand. As my Jr, call, call, call. The only time you should call me BEFORE you see the patient is if you know the patient is crashing and you will need my help, we will meet at the patient in that instance. For all other things I expect that you have seen the patient first and have your own plan that we can work with BEFORE you call me. The plan doesn't have to be right, it just has to show me that you are trying to take care of the patient and trying to use what medical judgement you have.

If you will keep up with it you will find that most of the time these nurses that say "something's not right" or "he doesn't look right" will be wrong 99.9% of the time. They get it right 3 times a year and spend the rest of the year saying "I always know, remember that time I said so and so didn't look right, he died". They don't remember the 200 other calls when the patient was just fine, nothing was needed, and they went home the next day.

It's pretty funny really.

High sensitivity, low specificity.

Shameless bump for those of us about to start intern year.

Any other advice for common on-call problems? Thanks. :)

Hello,

If you have problem on call then you can share with other and tell about the problem.

Thanks,
Dave Smith

I figure I'd put a few things I learned from my intern year regarding pages and dealing with nurses while an intern.

If a nurse pages you in the middle of the night and says that the patient "doesn't look right or looks ill, etc.", ask for details (What specifically makes the pt NOT look well? Pallor, diaphoresis, ill-looking, is the patient in pain, N/V, etc. , ask for Vitals and if they've changed (if you're cross-covering). If the patient is hypoxic, ask the nurse to provide O2 (in whatever manner you think is appropriate), if the pt is complaining of chest pain --> ask nurse to get an ECG, makes sure that there's a good IV and consider asking for nurse to give SL Nitro. Then GO and see the patient. Even if you know that 99.9% of the time, it will be OK and pt will not need anything to be changed in the current management, you still should make sure that the pt is OK and stable. Then ALWAYS document that you were call (mention what the nurse told you) and what you found when you saw the patient. Never lie or it WILL come back to hurt you.

If you get a page about a change in vital signs, I usually did the following:

If call is for elevated BP ---> ask what the pt's baseline has been (if you're cross-covering), then if it's not critical ask the nurse nicely to recheck the BP and give some sort of parameters... i.e. "check BP again please and ONLY call back if it's >160 SBP. Always consider pt's current problem when accessing whether to treat an elevated BP... i.e. If they've just had a stroke for example, a BP of 180/110 does not need to be critically lowered or lower at all. But a person without a stroke and the same BP, will need to have action taken.

If you get called by a nurse for a decreased O2 sat... ask if pt is COPD and what is person's baseline and if they're on O2 currently. This will help to access to what action you will need to take. If no COPD and no O2 currently, ask nurse to give patient O2 (this depends on what the % is) and then go see the pt---> consider getting an ABG and/or CXR in order to access why pt is hypoxic.

If you get a call about tachycardia, ask about pain, presence of fever, recent surgery or procedures, agitation, what's the BP and other VS... then access if treatment is necessary based on the answer to those questions. If pt is on telemetry and you get a call about a pt having a string of VTach... ask "how many beat in a row" or "for how many seconds consecutively"... If VT lasts for >30 seconds in a row ----> sustained VTach ---> get your ass to the patient right now and treat it immediately (if cardioversion if unstable, meds if stable)

if non-sustained VT ---> check on the pt, check pulse Ox and last K levels as this might be a sign of low K and hypoxia.

If you get a call about a fever --> ask the nurse if pt is getting any kind of transfusion, if so --> consider the possibility of a transfusion reaction and treat... if pt is getting a transfusion then stop it and access the pt. If no transfusion, see if pt had cultures taken in past 48 hours... if so, you can safe with just giving Tylenol and consider getting a CXR and urine cultures on the pt. If pt does not have any recent cultures --> Give Tylenol and then get CXR, Blood Cx x 2, urine cx and possibly Sputum cx (although this is not a must especially in vent pts--> low yield and often have contaminants). The answer is NEVER... "just give the pt tylenol" and hang up... you must address this and then sign it out to the in-coming team.

If you get a page about hematuria in a pt with a foley (for example)... go to the pt and access it and then see if pt is taking ASA, Plavix, anticoagulation, aggrenox and consider d/cing them for the time being and sign out to the next team to follow-up on the foley and restart if hematuria resolves.

If you get a page about a low BP---> ask what the other VS are, what the pt's reason for being there is (any trauma, recent surgery any reason to believe that they're septic, volume depleted), if they're on an drugs that can drop their BP (i.e. Betablockers, vasodilators, optiates, etc.) and if they've been given recently. Go see the pt and examine them for signs of shock, hypovolemia, internal bleeding, etc. and act accordingly. If you think pt is bleeding, send a stat CBC and type and screen for 2 units and consider doing a rectal if you suspect pt has bleeding in his/her intestinal tract (ie. post op, mesenteric ischemia. Check for peritoneal signs if you're suspecting of intraabdominal bleeding and/or perforation.

If you get paged about tachypnea, ask about pain, associated symptoms, O2 sat and if pt is on oxygen... see pt if it's severe and do ABG.

If you get paged for agitation ---> see what is the patient's comorbidity and age as this will change the treatment that you give. If you feel that pt needs treatment... Avoid benzos in Elderly as they can become even more agitated from benzos. You can elderly a low dose of Haldol if you feel they need treatment. Consider 1:1 watch and/or restraints. Also avoid benzos in Chronic Liver disease pts as it can cause their liver disease to decompensate. Consider Lactulose in ESLD pt's with agitation as it might be secondary to hepatic encephalopathy. You can give haldol to these patients as well. Consider possibility of EtOh withdrawal if pt is alcoholic and a day or two from his last drink. Then use benzos.

Try to write for specific parameter for when to "call MD" in your orders so that you don't get bothered as much.

If you get paged for FSBS of <50. Go see the pt and give pt 1 amp of D50 and ask nurse to check FSBS in 30 minutes after dose given. Always try to assess pt's insulin coverage and why pt has such a low FSBS and adjust accordingly.

That's all I can think of for now.

May I add: if you do get paged for agitation/delirium, DO NOT just medicate and not worry. Make sure to complete a workup. Most hospitals have delirium order sets--USE THEM!. Psychosis is nothing but a sign, just like cough, tachycardia, or vomiting. I have seen countless times that delirium is just ignored, and within 3-5 hours, the pt completely decompensates and has a massive MI, acute CHF, subdural, etc.

Ugh. I kind of actually hate these threads. Ultimately, even with a list of someone else's ideas about what do about common problems while on call, you'll have to figure out your own style. I guess what I'm cautioning against is making these things a cookie cutter kind of thing and approach.

I will soon be starting intern year, but after reading this thread I want to give one last piece of advice from the RN side of things:

Screaming obscenities and telling the RN to never call you again will result in: "TORB ____RN 'do not call Dr. ________ ever again."

It gets put in the permanent record and you can get in a lot of trouble for it.

Late night rounds seemed to help with decreasing this, and hope that is something I can continue to do since I'm going to a completely different institution.

Of course, you can ask my 'intern' opinion in 4 months and see if I'm still so friendly to the nurses.

you need to strike a balance between being approachable but assertive. All of the nurses on the med floors like me, know me, and typically won't bother me for stupid crap. The ones who used to or occasionally still do, I will pull to the side and talk to them. If that doesn't sink in, it goes straight to the nurse supervisor the next day.

You really have to watch nurses; some of them will screw you given the opportunity.

As an aside, I got a call while on medicine about a patient who was having, "8/10 generalized pain requesting additional roxicet". For some reason, I decided to tell the nurse I would come see the patient (to her surprise). I got there and the patient was sound asleep. I gave the nurse an evil glare, told her to forget it, and didn't hear from her the rest of the night. My guess is that she's either a ***** or would pocket the one-time order and chart that she gave it to the patient.

Is it advisable to see a patient everytime you're paged when on call?

Which ones don't deserve a "patient visit"?

When you first start taking call, yes, go see every patient.

As time goes on, you will learn how to triage the pages and figure out which patients need to be seen vs. just needing an order vs. no action. You'll learn what questions to ask to guide these assessments. You will also learn which nurses have good judgment and which ones call you for unimportant things (like the 3 am diet order requests, for example).

When you first start taking call, yes, go see every patient.

As time goes on, you will learn how to triage the pages and figure out which patients need to be seen vs. just needing an order vs. no action. You'll learn what questions to ask to guide these assessments. You will also learn which nurses have good judgment and which ones call you for unimportant things (like the 3 am diet order requests, for example).

What she said. You'll figure it out eventually, but for the first 6ish months (note that this number will vary from 3 to infinity depending on you and your situation) you need to go lay eyes on everyone with a complaint or concern.

I'ld say definitely see every patient especially on rotations like night float. If you saw the patient before giving any therapy, if anything bad happens at least you saw them. If you gave it without seeing them, you are defenseless