Help! Need advice/guidance on Externship MCI problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jk222

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

So quick background information. I am a US citizen that did my MBBS in India and completed in late 2011. I wanted to come back to the states to do my internship - A.) I was dying to be back home, B.) I thought it would be good to get started early on getting US Clinical experience before applying for residency.

The one year internship requires that you do two months of community medicine postings at your college. So I did those two months and still had ten months left that I wanted to do back in the states. I had been approved to get ten months of rotations through Americlerkships back in the states. My college approved of me doing the ten months in the US but said that I needed to get permission from MCI (medical council of India) before starting those postings in the states. They said it could take months to get a response from Delhi(where MCI is) and I didn't want to waste time, so I came back and started the rotations thinking that I could get permission from them as soon as I finished my ten months of postings.

Well here in my problem. I finished my 10 months required postings that would have completed my Internship and would have gotten me my permanent MBBS degree but when I took all the papers from my college, Americlerkships and all the hospitals I did the postings at...MCI won't even look at them because I didn't get an NOC (non objection certificate) before starting those postings.

I made sure those postings were approved of and that Americlerkships had many IMGs do their internship postings through them.

Now my question is - Has this happened to anybody else? Do they know anyone else who might have been in the same situation? Does anyone have any advice/guidance on what I should do??

I know its my fault for pushing it aside and not getting the permission before but I never anticipated that it would make a huge difference if other IMGs had been approved of rotations through Americlerkships :(

Its a huge problem for me because if the MCI doesn't approve of my postings by giving me an NOC I can't get my permanent MBBS degree and I won't be able to apply for my residency here.

Any help or guidance would be GREATLY appreciated! And thank you for reading!

Members don't see this ad.