communication with program that I REALLY want...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eastcoastdr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my current #1 program has always been my #1, even before starting this whole process. After I sent in ERAS I didn't hear from them so I wrote the PC a polite email expressing my interest. I recieved an invitation to interview shortly thereafter. The interview day went great.. and I made sure to tell the PD after the interview that this was my #1. I haven't written my thank you cards yet..should I re-iterate my interest in the program again? Should I say in writing they are my #1 again? I don't want to come off desperate.

Members don't see this ad.

So my current #1 program has always been my #1, even before starting this whole process. After I sent in ERAS I didn't hear from them so I wrote the PC a polite email expressing my interest. I recieved an invitation to interview shortly thereafter. The interview day went great.. and I made sure to tell the PD after the interview that this was my #1. I haven't written my thank you cards yet..should I re-iterate my interest in the program again? Should I say in writing they are my #1 again? I don't want to come off desperate.

Well then get somebody else to write it because, if you sound anything in that email/card like you do in this post, you will sound desperate.

Listen, this has been addressed about a hojillion times (and I'll probably merge this into the current thread on the topic as soon as I get done with this post) and you need to realize that no matter what or how you say it, whatever you say will fall somewhere in the range of "minimally interesting" to "seriously skeeve inducing" and, in the end, is likely to have almost no (although possibly positive, more likely negative) effect on your ability to match at that program.

Reactions: 1 users
Well then get somebody else to write it because, if you sound anything in that email/card like you do in this post, you will sound desperate.

Listen, this has been addressed about a hojillion times (and I'll probably merge this into the current thread on the topic as soon as I get done with this post) and you need to realize that no matter what or how you say it, whatever you say will fall somewhere in the range of "minimally interesting" to "seriously skeeve inducing" and, in the end, is likely to have almost no (although possibly positive, more likely negative) effect on your ability to match at that program.

Can we add a sticky to the forum about this and then start deleting some of these threads? It's really getting ridiculous this season.

thanks for the responses. i didn't think my question was totally similar to the other threads on thank you letter topics so I made my own. I had a specific question about whether to write that a program was #1 or not... I guess I technically could have piggybacked this question onto another thread. I'm sorry if you think my question is ridiculous..its just that I'm hearing over and over again how competitive the match is, and this is my first time going through a process like this. SDN has been an extremely valuable resource to me over the years and I just wanted to pick the brains of people who have had first-hand experience and inside knowledge with this stressful process. I'm an IMG and we don't get a lot of good guidance from our school unfortunately. I'm sure y'all have had your own doubts, questions and fears about this process when you went through it too. :) Thanks again.

3 of th 5 most recent threads in this forum currently are variations of your question.

It's true that your question wasn't identical to the others (other than being incredibly neurotic which is a nearly universal med student characteristic). But it doesn't take too much imagination to see how it might fit into another thread about sending a mash note to your #1.

You're correct that we've all been through this and it's definitely stressful. But trust me when i say that 5 or 10 years from now, THAT you matched will be more important than where you matched, at least within the range of programs you're probably interviewing at.

Reactions: 1 user