Community College Class for Intro Chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prospectivenontrad123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello-

I've seen this question quite a bit with undergrad science majors looking to improve GPA/retake classes, but not so much for career changing nontrad so I apologize in advance.

I'm an undergrad humanities major (high GPA) starting post-bacc WHILE working full-time. It would be advantageous time-wise to get a headstart on the chem prereqs now and am thinking of enrolling in Chem 1 at CC in New York City.

I'll then do two sessions of chem at a 4-year in the summer and continue the rest of classes at Berkeley Extension.

QUESTIONS:
1) Will the one community college class shoot me in the foot before I even get started? I'm really aiming for California schools.
2) Will hopping around (three schools for post bacc) be a negative?

THANK YOU

Members don't see this ad.

For school hopping with post-bacc work, (I'm in the same boat) I was given the guidance that if that's what you need to do then do it as long as it doesn't look like you are searching for the easiest classes to boost your gpa. My example was, for financial and location reasons, I'm doing as many as possible at the local community college then switching. I live in an area where the only night classes for science are at the community college. I'll have to quit working to do the remainder or do it them online. I'd end up with 3 schools as well. I just need to justify the changes.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
CC didn't hurt me a bit, and it prepared me very well for the MCAT

Chem 1 at a CC is not going to hurt you.

I took Chem 1, Orgo 2, and Phyisc 2 at CC and it hasnt hurt me this cycle so far. Also prepped me really well for the MCAT. Just focus on doign well OP.

Hello-

I've seen this question quite a bit with undergrad science majors looking to improve GPA/retake classes, but not so much for career changing nontrad so I apologize in advance.

I'm an undergrad humanities major (high GPA) starting post-bacc WHILE working full-time. It would be advantageous time-wise to get a headstart on the chem prereqs now and am thinking of enrolling in Chem 1 at CC in New York City.

I'll then do two sessions of chem at a 4-year in the summer and continue the rest of classes at Berkeley Extension.

QUESTIONS:
1) Will the one community college class shoot me in the foot before I even get started? I'm really aiming for California schools.
2) Will hopping around (three schools for post bacc) be a negative?

THANK YOU

Taking classes at a CC will not hurt you unless the schools you are targeting have policies regarding community college courses. Get a copy of the MSAR (I recently had to get an updated copy) to take a look. Many medical schools will take community college courses, others accept them on a case by case basis, and a few state a preference for 4 year college or university classes.

Also, post-bac hopping will not hurt you as long as you maintain a strong performance at each program. Earn high marks are you will be fine.

best of luck to you

I had my gen chems at a CC because that's where I was in nursing school and it was cheap. I followed it up with Ochem and Biochem at a 4 year university though.

And when I submitted my app last year i think i had 5 or 6 transcripts. Didn't hurt me one bit bouncing around.

I actually did everything at CC (as in, no degree). I can't say it hurt me because it was really the only option I had in my rural area. Would non-CC be better? Probably, but I think part of being a non-trad is learning to do what it takes and move right along.