community college courses limitations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polkidon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I transferred from a community college to University of Wisconsin- Madison when I was a sophomore. I graduated from UW in 2011 with Econ major and received a 3.2 GPA. I have been working in the financial industry for about 2 years..

Now,I am planning on applying Dental school in 1.5~2 years because I don't have my pre-requisite courses fulfilled..yet (I only took one Chem class when I was in college)

My questions are:

1. Courses (mostly gen. ed) that I transferred from community college to UW will also be taking into the cc limitations that some dental schools set? (I asked schools but they haven't reply me yet)

Or the school will only take the pre-requisite courses that I am taking (biology, chemistry, physics) into the community college course work limitation (UCLA has 70 semester hours)?

I am confused because once I got into UW, all the courses transferred to UW and I am not sure if those courses will count toward the cc credit...:confused:

2. How do dental schools take non-traditional students like me ( I am 24 with non-medical job experience/major)?

thoughts? advice?
Thank you guys for reading!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't answer the non-trad applicant question, but you could ask the poster of this: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=13995730&posted=1#post13995730

As far as cc credits go, typically schools say whether or not they take them as electives, pre-reqs, and finally if they have a cap on the number of hours that will count. Schools seem to have differing cutoffs and flexibility when it comes to cc credits. To find out for every school you're applying to, you can either look on their websites/call them, or look in the adea school guide. If you have one or a couple schools in mind, I can look them up in my book for you.

I can't answer the non-trad applicant question, but you could ask the poster of this: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=13995730&posted=1#post13995730

As far as cc credits go, typically schools say whether or not they take them as electives, pre-reqs, and finally if they have a cap on the number of hours that will count. Schools seem to have differing cutoffs and flexibility when it comes to cc credits. To find out for every school you're applying to, you can either look on their websites/call them, or look in the adea school guide. If you have one or a couple schools in mind, I can look them up in my book for you.
I am interested in UCLA, and it said "*Limitations on accredited community college course work: only 70 semester or 105 quarter units will be accepted."

I had about 68.66 credit hours from cc when I transferred to UW...
Does this mean I will have to re-take the pre-requisite courses in 4-year college?

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, you should be okay with that that school. It says they take cc credits as both electives and pre-reqs, and their only limit is the number of hours, which you just made :).

Did you take the major pre-reqs (gen chem, orgo, gen bio, writing, physics, maybe biochem/micro) already? If so, at cc or UW? Your post confused me a bit.

Nope, you should be okay with that that school. It says they take cc credits as both electives and pre-reqs, and their only limit is the number of hours, which you just made :).

Did you take the major pre-reqs (gen chem, orgo, gen bio, writing, physics, maybe biochem/micro) already? If so, at cc or UW? Your post confused me a bit.
Hello,
Sorry for the confusion. I am taking gen chem and gen bio at cc now and the rest I am planning to take those during the Fall. Think I will need to take the pre-requisite courses at 4 year university just to be safe!
Thanks!

Last edited:
As far as the non-trad goes, what I've found is that most schools value diversity and appreciate your different experiences and perspectives. I imagine it's harder for a biology major to stand out because there are so many other bio majors, but a non-science major or someone with job experience will automatically stand out. You'll still have to make the grades and scores of course, but I think being non-traditional can be an asset. I worked in IT for 5 years, realized it wasn't for me, and now I'm starting dental school this fall. It can be done.

As far as the non-trad goes, what I've found is that most schools value diversity and appreciate your different experiences and perspectives. I imagine it's harder for a biology major to stand out because there are so many other bio majors, but a non-science major or someone with job experience will automatically stand out. You'll still have to make the grades and scores of course, but I think being non-traditional can be an asset. I worked in IT for 5 years, realized it wasn't for me, and now I'm starting dental school this fall. It can be done.
Thank you for the input!!!

UPDATE
: For dental school at NYUCD, where you are required to have completed a minimum of 6-8 credits of English, Organic Chemistry, General Chemistry, Physics, and Biology, NYUCD will accept three credits of each pre-requisite subject from the community college level.

And 70 hours cc limit only apply on pre-requisites courses.