General Admissions & OTCAS community college courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ot_pedi10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. So I am finishing my prequisites at NSCC, I am thinking about transferring to TN state or MTSu for my bachelor's in biology. I talked to the advisor at MTSU and she said that it looks bad according to the graduate committee if you take a lot of community college level science and math classes because it is beneath the four year college level? I would love someone who knows how the graduate committee works or not if this is true. If it is not true, I want to get as much science classes at a community college as I can to save money.

Members don't see this ad.

I can only speak from personal experience, but I took all my prerequisites at community colleges and I did not have any trouble with OT school admissions regarding this issue.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you take courses like physics or precalc II at a community college?

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not need them for the schools I applied to.

Plenty of people applying to OT school did their prerequisites at community colleges, because some of us have bachelors degrees that were not in science fields. I guess some admissions committees might only look at candidates with a 4-year degree in applicable subjects, but since you are transferring from a cc to a 4-year school to finish your Bachelors, which tons of people are doing these days in order to save money, I don't see how that's an issue. My local cc has agreements with many of the 4-year universities in the state, including UVA (which is a very good school), that allows people to transfer, assuming they meet the stipulations. With the costs of colleges rising, I feel like this is going to be a more common occurrence than it was when I was in college, so I don't know that admissions committees would care as much as you think.

The quality of science classes as at my community college was impressive. Better, in fact, than my graduate level science courses. California community colleges are not all of that caliber, but there are some dedicated instructors at the cc level that pour their hearts and souls into their teaching. Getting an A at a cc is better than getting a B at a university in a comparable course. As far as admissions to grad school goes, I would not sweat where you took the course. You are better off doing well in every course you take regardless of where you take it.