Community college courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

righthere6

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I had a quick question. I am an undergrad right now. I took two community college courses (at two different colleges) in high school. I was wondering do med schools require you to send these courses that you took in high school to them, because they were taken at a college even though you were in high school at the time EVEN IF YOU DO NOT USE THESE COURSES FOR TRANSFER CREDITS??? If so, are they calculated in your undergrad GPA?

THANKS A BUNCH!!!

Rob

Members don't see this ad.

i know it sucks, but you have to send them in

you do?? is there any way they can find out if you dont send them in??? and are they calculated into you undergrad gpa?

Members don't see this ad :)
righthere6 said:
you do?? is there any way they can find out if you dont send them in??? and are they calculated into you undergrad gpa?

Technically, it will be calculated with your GPA, but you are responsible for sending in the transcripts. How many classes did you take and why did you take them if you are not receiving credit for them?

the other DR.--

I took both of the classes for high school preparation...So do you think they will be able to dinf out if I do not send them in, if I dont send in the transcripts?

Thanks!

They may not find out, but if they do, disciplinary measures would be enforced. When you send in your transcript, you basically sign off saying that everything is factual and completed to the best of your knowledge. Not specifying undergrad courses would be lying and falsifying records. I would not risk it if I were you.

just follow the rules and send them in. if you took them for high school prep no one but you will even care what you got.

why do med schools require this information even if im not using those courses for transfer credits to my undergrad college??????

righthere6 said:
why do med schools require this information even if im not using those courses for transfer credits to my undergrad college??????

It is considered college coursework, but you need to call AMCAS regarding whether or not it will be used in calculating your GPA. How many classes did you take?

Does anyone know if the AMCAS is meticulous in checking records of this matter (taking community college courses while in high school)? or better yet, has anyone been caught?

From what I've heard, they don't check thoroughly, but I've heard stories of people being kicked out of medical schools for not reporting all their courses. Do you really want that hanging over your head everyday? Just report em.

Members don't see this ad :)
righthere6 said:
Does anyone know if the AMCAS is meticulous in checking records of this matter (taking community college courses while in high school)? or better yet, has anyone been caught?

i really don't see how they can catch. I don't see why they require an applicant to list this on their apps anyway. Many people tend to change after highschool.

Did your preform poorly in the class?

Unless you did absolutely horribly in these classes, don't risk not getting into medical school for those few points towards your g.p.a.; it's simply not worth the risk. That said, I've heard stories about people getting away with major lies on their application, while others get screwed. Either way, I wouldn't take the risk for 8 units!

how could they possibly find out though. Do they check every single school in the country?

I know it's tempting, BUT REPORT ALL COLLEGE COURSES TAKEN NO MATTER WHAT! We have all heard of people getting caught later on. I have heard of one guy that was kicked out in his 4th year of medical school for lying on his med. school application. Don't do it!

Just because the schools don't check doesn't mean they won't find out. Let's say you accidentally let the info "slip" just once during your four years to a "friend". Then your "friend" lets it slip to five other people.... Before you know it a classmate jealous of your grades or something turns you in. Do you really want to take that risk? Do you really want to go through your life wondering if you would have gotten into medical school if you hadn't lied on your application? Think about it! a couple of bad grades in a course you took in high school aren't going to hurt that bad.

Good luck!
-Scott, MS3

shoot maybe i shouldn't have read this forum then. As a user above have stated "completely factual and whole to the best fo your knowledge" :D Maybe i'll have amnesia.

I guess when it comes time for me to apply i need to list my class too. :cool:

Does it matter if you took this classes while you were 16 and still in your senior year of highschool?

By the way I took a German I class made an A, Form and Function Lab made an A, Form and Function Lecture made a C.

Form and Function is basically general bio.

what can i say? I have a life and the lecture class was at night. The professor was interesting but the tests were insanely hard (some of you out there might be able to relate.) They were very arbitary. Sometimes from the notes, sometimes from the book, sometimes from nowhere. :eek: Not to mention senioritis was in its third stage when i began the class. (I took this form and function class during the spring)

What happens if I take General Bio, which i will be taking this fall, again? (I took form and Function at UNO, I am taking General Bio at Tulane. This time i have chosen my professors very wisely. ;) )

hnbui said:
Does it matter if you took this classes while you were 16 and still in your senior year of highschool?

Nope, ALL college level courses, whether credit was received or not

hnbui said:
what can i say? I have a life and the lecture class was at night.

Hmmmm, yet you were taking college courses at 16?? :laugh:

hnbui said:
What happens if I take General Bio, which i will be taking this fall, again?

Not sure exactly how AMCAS works, as I applied only to Texas schools on the TMDSAS system (except TCOM!)

Hope that helps!
-Scott, MS3

stw2361 said:
Nope, ALL college level courses, whether credit was received or not

Hmmmm, yet you were taking college courses at 16?? :laugh:

Not sure exactly how AMCAS works, as I applied only to Texas schools on the TMDSAS system (except TCOM!)

Hope that helps!
-Scott, MS3

i will nto be getting credit for form and function lecture though. Since i made a C in the class Tulane will not accept the credit earned for that class. A good thing :thumbup:

So med schools are very meticulous then..if people are getting kicked out of med school (as someone mentioned 4th year)..they do keep on checking on your records?? Whats up with this? are they always unsure of the applicants they accept, so they keep on checking? whack!

if you never had the credits transferred to your priamary undergrad school, then it doesnt show up on your school's transript. The only way for medical schools to know that you took a class at a different college other than your own, is if it shows up on your transcript. If you have not transferred the credits, and are not happy with the scores you recieved in those classes DO NOT TRANSFER the credits. Med schools will never know.
I took physics 1 and 2 at a community college, didnt do very well, but was forced by the community college to transfer the credits even before starting the class. Had i had the option i wouldnt have transferred the scores, retaken physics at my primary college, and never had to worry about it.
anyway hope it helps.

YML said:
if you never had the credits transferred to your priamary undergrad school, then it doesnt show up on your school's transript. The only way for medical schools to know that you took a class at a different college other than your own, is if it shows up on your transcript. If you have not transferred the credits, and are not happy with the scores you recieved in those classes DO NOT TRANSFER the credits. Med schools will never know.
I took physics 1 and 2 at a community college, didnt do very well, but was forced by the community college to transfer the credits even before starting the class. Had i had the option i wouldnt have transferred the scores, retaken physics at my primary college, and never had to worry about it.
anyway hope it helps.

what if the current college onyl accepts a few of those classes. ie. I made an A in german 101 and A in form and function Lab but a C in form and function Lecture. According to tulane's policy, a credit is only transferrable if the student recieves a B or higher. Since i made a c in form and function lecture, tulane will not give me credit for the class and it will not show up on my transcript.

So having stated that, do i still ahve to send in my transcript from uno when i am filling out the application for med school?

hnbui said:
what if the current college onyl accepts a few of those classes. ie. I made an A in german 101 and A in form and function Lab but a C in form and function Lecture. According to tulane's policy, a credit is only transferrable if the student recieves a B or higher. Since i made a c in form and function lecture, tulane will not give me credit for the class and it will not show up on my transcript.

So having stated that, do i still ahve to send in my transcript from uno when i am filling out the application for med school?

You must list ALL your college courses, even if grades did not transfer.

Think about it: Hmmm... Your Tulane transcript will likely say that 'x' class was transferred from 'a' school. AMCAS will look for a transcript from 'a' school in addition to your Tulane transcript. Obviously, 'a' school will have your grades from 'y' class (the class that did not transfer) on it.

Jason

Jason110 said:
You must list ALL your college courses, even if grades did not transfer.

Think about it: Hmmm... Your Tulane transcript will likely say that 'x' class was transferred from 'a' school. AMCAS will look for a transcript from 'a' school in addition to your Tulane transcript. Obviously, 'a' school will have your grades from 'y' class (the class that did not transfer) on it.

Jason

BUT, that rule does not apply if you took your courses at different colleges, correct?!

righthere6 said:
So med schools are very meticulous then..if people are getting kicked out of med school (as someone mentioned 4th year)..they do keep on checking on your records?? Whats up with this? are they always unsure of the applicants they accept, so they keep on checking? whack!

I doubt they "keep checking", but if the information were to surface later, they would be sure to take swift and decisive action.

For the rest of you -- several people have given very sound advice on the topic of "hiding" your grades taken at community colleges. The vast majority have said DON'T DO IT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. If you want to try to weasel around the rules, it's only your future that is at risk. I personally would not want to know that I lied or cheated to get into medical school. I know that I am here on my own merit. Frankly, it worries me that future doctors would even consider such dishonesty just because they thought they could get away with it. You're not in undergrad anymore.... it's finally time to grow up.

-Scott, MS3

You have to submit them. I know, I was taking courses at 16 too. And the grades aren't what they are now, but you still have to send them in. Two Cs from when you were 16 are not going to keep you out of medical school, but lying will.

By the way, when you are an undergrad you are already supposed to be grown up. And, leaving a couple of classes out really probably isn't sneaking in... but it is just good form to report it. Besides, it will give you something interesting to talk about in your interviews.. how when you first started college you were the youngest person in your classes and you found out that college is harder than you thought and it inspired you to work extra-hard.. take your lemons and make some lemonade.

neoncandle said:
You have to submit them. I know, I was taking courses at 16 too. And the grades aren't what they are now, but you still have to send them in. Two Cs from when you were 16 are not going to keep you out of medical school, but lying will.

Neoncandle-- as someone mentioned, the classes will get counted in the GPA, so dont make it sound like two C's will not damage the GPA! But I understand it is better than lying

As for HNBUI--will that C get get calculated into your GPA, even though you cannot get transfer credits?

neoncandle said:

By the way, when you are an undergrad you are already supposed to be grown up. And, leaving a couple of classes out really probably isn't sneaking in... but it is just good form to report it. Besides, it will give you something interesting to talk about in your interviews.. how when you first started college you were the youngest person in your classes and you found out that college is harder than you thought and it inspired you to work extra-hard.. take your lemons and make some lemonade.

thanks for the advice. Yeah i will just send in the transcript from uno when i apply later.

righthere6 said:
As for HNBUI--will that C get get calculated into your GPA, even though you cannot get transfer credits?

hahah

I don't know. That's what i'm trying to figure out. :D

I know that it will not be transfer to my tulane transcript right now since they don't accept any classes wwith grades lower than a B.

Does anyone know the answer to this question--will a grade (Such as a "c" or lower) be caluclated into your GPA by the AMCAS, even though your undergrad college will not accept it?

Also, Jason110, you said previously that if you transfer once course from one college, then med schools will look at the other courses you took at the same college....but if you took two different courses at two different colleges and are not going to transfer either of the credits, will it still need to be calculated into the GPA?

righthere6 said:
Does anyone know the answer to this question--will a grade (Such as a "c" or lower) be caluclated into your GPA by the AMCAS, even though your undergrad college will not accept it?

Yes. All college classes are calculated into your GPA. Even if Tulane doesn't accept any classes that are C and lower, you must've transferred your A classes...meaning when it comes time to apply to med school you have to send official transcripts from all colleges you've ever attended (which includes that C).

I think that even if you don't transfer the classes, the schools can still catch you since alot of times people claim things like 1098-T or on their high school transcripts it shows "college in high school" or RS (for running start). So it's much better to be safe and honest, or pay for it in the end. Why risk it, even? I mean who really cares about that one/two C's you got...as long as it's not consistent right?

I think I screwed myself over too. I got a 2.0 in trigonometry when I took classes at the local community college through running start. :thumbdown:

righthere6 said:
1098-t?????

The IRS form associated with the Hope Scholarship Tax Credit is the 1098-T. I'm sure the IRS has more info on this, in case you care.

IRS = fun fun!!! NOT!!!!

Jason

are you saying med schools also want high school transcripts?? what has this world come to...

First, yeah, you gotta list all your courses. But I think adcoms really do look at people's transcripts carefully. One C won't make or break anyone's gpa. (Of course someone is now going to post about how a C WILL lower the gpa--yes of course I know it will but one single C cannot ruin an otherwise good record, and if the record's bad overall, the same C won't stand out.) When they see that you were taking this class at age 16, I'm sure they will be quite impressed. Seriously, I would not risk omitting this under any circumstances. It wouldn't be worth it. When you start filling out your AMCAS form, you will realize how wide open your life becomes to scrutiny. Hiding things just isn't smart.

Second--hey, I'm just wondering if anyone has ever taken an actual look at the 1974 Educational Privacy Act or whatever it's officially called. I wonder if it has any stipulations regarding academic records of minors. Personally I think it is unfair for some people's high school records to be required in this process, just because they took college classes. If you'd taken the same class at age 13 or 14, could AMCAS require a transcript then too? How legal is that?

pushkin said:
First, yeah, you gotta list all your courses. But I think adcoms really do look at people's transcripts carefully. One C won't make or break anyone's gpa. (Of course someone is now going to post about how a C WILL lower the gpa--yes of course I know it will but one single C cannot ruin an otherwise good record, and if the record's bad overall, the same C won't stand out.) When they see that you were taking this class at age 16, I'm sure they will be quite impressed. Seriously, I would not risk omitting this under any circumstances. It wouldn't be worth it. When you start filling out your AMCAS form, you will realize how wide open your life becomes to scrutiny. Hiding things just isn't smart.

Second--hey, I'm just wondering if anyone has ever taken an actual look at the 1974 Educational Privacy Act or whatever it's officially called. I wonder if it has any stipulations regarding academic records of minors. Personally I think it is unfair for some people's high school records to be required in this process, just because they took college classes. If you'd taken the same class at age 13 or 14, could AMCAS require a transcript then too? How legal is that?

thanks for the advice. yeah I' just going to submit the transcript when the time comes to apply. I'll write a side note on how i took the class during my senior year at high school while i was 16. Maybe they will view it as me trying to stive hard at an early age or a bad case of senioritis :D

hey this is off topic, but how does adcom view young applicants? I'm starting college this fall and i am 16 yrs old. (i have a late birthday so i will be turning 17 on sept 16)

hnbui said:
thanks for the advice. yeah I' just going to submit the transcript when the time comes to apply. I'll write a side note on how i took the class during my senior year at high school while i was 16. Maybe they will view it as me trying to stive hard at an early age or a bad case of senioritis :D

hey this is off topic, but how does adcom view young applicants? I'm starting college this fall and i am 16 yrs old. (i have a late birthday so i will be turning 17 on sept 16)

Young applicants??? Hmmmm... this is a tough one... The real issue is your maturity level. There are a lot of people who graduate from college in three years but have difficulty gaining admission to medical school, because the adcoms believe they are not mature enough. I don't believe there is any truth to the viewpoint, but that's the underlying sentiment.

With that said, I met a 24 year old, PGY2 radiology resident. She said she graduated high school at 17, college at 18, and med school at 22. She must've done well because she landed a prestigious residency. So who knows if I'm right.

Jason

Jason110 said:
Young applicants??? Hmmmm... this is a tough one... The real issue is your maturity level. There are a lot of people who graduate from college in three years but have difficulty gaining admission to medical school, because the adcoms believe they are not mature enough. I don't believe there is any truth to the viewpoint, but that's the underlying sentiment.

With that said, I met a 24 year old, PGY2 radiology resident. She said she graduated high school at 17, college at 18, and med school at 22. She must've done well because she landed a prestigious residency. So who knows if I'm right.

Jason

wow how did she manage to graduate from college in a year?

hnbui said:

I promise you, if you are really only 16 right now and starting college, you aren't going to need to worry about this stuff in 3 or 4 years. By then you should have something a little more interesting to talk about in your essays.

What I would be worried about is throwing some of the best years of your youth away on SDN!!! And during summer vacation at that... Right now you should be out partying, not worrying about med school. You're probably young enough that you could even get arrested for the usual youth crimes like vandalism or truancy and it wouldn't show up on your permanent record. Now how many people around here can say that? Seriously don't be such an overacheiver. When I was 16 all I did all summer was hang out in the Pamida parking lot of our town waiting for different groups of kids to drive by in their pickup trucks. It was no Form & Function class, that's for sure, but as a premed it's probably helped keep me a little less annoying than I'd have been otherwise. :)

Well, good luck with your life!

It?s 2 friggen classes list them and move on. If 2 classes can screw your chances of getting into Med school then these are the least of your worries.

righthere6 said:
are you saying med schools also want high school transcripts?? what has this world come to...

They don?t care about your high school transcripts. If you got into a 4-year university and are able to matriculate to Med school then obviously you actually made it through high school.

The only reason I would think that you might have thought this was the case is that you took college classes in high school.... all you need to report are the college courses.