Community College Coursework

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avid_waterskier316

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have been looking at some of the thread at doing the pre-req coursework at a community college and was just curious of what people thought. I am going to be a senior at a 4 year university, but my plan is non-traditional. In the summer of next year I am going to apply to paramedic school and do that for 3-5 years. While I am doing that I want to go on a couple medical mission trips as well as visit a spanish-speaking country to furthur improve my spanish skills. Needless to say my path is non-tradional which is why I planned on taking the rest of the pre-reqs while I am working as a paramedic at a community college since financially it would be a better decision and because as of right now I want to experience other medical professions before applying to medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I have been looking at some of the thread at doing the pre-req coursework at a community college and was just curious of what people thought. I am going to be a senior at a 4 year university, but my plan is non-traditional. In the summer of next year I am going to apply to paramedic school and do that for 3-5 years. While I am doing that I want to go on a couple medical mission trips as well as visit a spanish-speaking country to furthur improve my spanish skills. Needless to say my path is non-tradional which is why I planned on taking the rest of the pre-reqs while I am working as a paramedic at a community college since financially it would be a better decision and because as of right now I want to experience other medical professions before applying to medical school.
Good plan. Medical school isn't going anywhere. Average age of matriculants is 24-25, so you're not going to be too far off from your peers.

Building your application and getting into competitive schools with massive financial aid also makes financial sense.

And having paramedic experience will allow you to do some sleepy jobs during medical school (as others have done here at sdn), making even more financial sense.

My only advice is to get your LOR first so you don't have to beg for them at a later date when your professors won't even remember you. Not sure how you'll go about this though if your school doesn't have a letter collection service that can store your letters.