Community College Coursework?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neferakh

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering taking the second semester of calculus and the year of writing required at a local community college over the summer. The reason behind this is that i want to double major, and i simply cannot do this if i take all of these at Berkeley. I went to advising today, the advising for the university, and the guy i talked to said that it was ok to do this, because these are not science classes, and i am taking a very full load for my four years as a result of double majoring. I would still take all of my bio, chem, physics, and classes for my science major at berkeley. He brought up the point that many people start out at c.c., transfer for 2 years to a univer., and DO get into med school - they took much of their science requirement at a c.c level. So what do u all think about this. Will they look down on me for this, even with the double major justification?

Members don't see this ad.

Geeze. Do it! You must have a REALLY low opinion of community college coursework. Hopefully actually doing some will change that.

F**** A man, do it!!!
I took 9 credits at my community college, and you know what I found out like 1 week ago? That the amcas g.p.a. takes into acount all college coursework, not just your present college!! So 9 more credits of A's get added on, yippee!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am one of those people to whom your advisor refered to. I took almost all of my pre-reqs at CCSF (in San Francisco), and then transfered to Berkeley. I know MANY people who did the same, did very well on the MCAT, and are now in med school. And none of them had a double major, at least not to my knowledge. I, for one, am not terribly worried about my chances of getting into med school, at least not based on having taken my pre-reqs at a cc.

I will warn you, though, that cc does not always mean that you'll get an easy A. Many of my cc courses were far more difficult than any class I've taken at Berkeley. In my experience, the main difference is the level of depth. For instance, I rarely wrote more than a few papers in any of my English classes, but they were usually 20 pages, very in-depth. They were always scrutinized, graded heavily on content, and never on a curve. There are some real disadvantages to being in a smaller class...

Nanon

thanks for the input guys - i feel better now:)