Community College Factored In?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BUmiken12

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if the grades from your community college are factored into your AAMCAS GPA. I've taken 20-something hours from my CC, and it'd definitely help. Thanks in advance...

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by BUmiken12:
•I was just wondering if the grades from your community college are factored into your AAMCAS GPA. I've taken 20-something hours from my CC, and it'd definitely help. Thanks in advance...•••

Yes they are. AMCAS wants every class you took at every school listed. I had 13 units from a community college and they raised my GPA a whopping .01. Pretty exciting.

I have a lot of courses at a community college. and then i transferred and will have a lot of courses here at WashU. anyway, my community college GPA will pull me DOWN (by maybe 0.05 to 0.1). so, would it hurt? (i didn't really know how to do well in college then)

Members don't see this ad :)
what about cc courses taken in high school?

Yep, the count! Sucks for me and no one said a word in hs...I just knew that it would count for my college GPA. Bummer.

I took a CC class as a sophomore in high school. Now I'm at an ivy league school. I got an A in the CC class, but would it look bad to include it on AMCAS? I have a lot of As in classes as a real college student too, so I don't think it would make much of a difference in GPA anyway. Or, is it wholly required to be put on the AMCAS? Will admissions people know that I took this CC course before entering college?
Thank you.

Originally posted by Premed315U:
•I took a CC class as a sophomore in high school. Now I'm at an ivy league school. I got an A in the CC class, but would it look bad to include it on AMCAS? I have a lot of As in classes as a real college student too, so I don't think it would make much of a difference in GPA anyway. Or, is it wholly required to be put on the AMCAS? Will admissions people know that I took this CC course before entering college?
Thank you.•••

Um, no. By the by, are you aware that some people take ALL of their pre-reqs for medical school at community colleges, and some of those go on to excellent medical schools? People do this for a variety of reasons, but I'm betting that at the top of the list is MONEY. Two years at a CC is far cheaper than 2 years post-bacc, or 2 years at an Ivy taking general requirements for a major you may never use.

Just a little FYI.

Nanon... who is particularly cranky today, so don't take anything I say personally.

Yes, it is completely required to include ALL college coursework. And community colleges are "real colleges." Geeze.

Also, remember med school ad coms most likely
give less weight to CC grades vs. university grades.

The statment that CC credits will be given less weight by adcoms is not true. That may be the case at a few schools, but by and large, most schools care more about how you did while you were there than where you actually took your pre-reqs. There is truth to this. Email the medical schools you're interested in and ask them what their take is on CC credit. They'll tell you what I'm telling you. Why? Because I just asked them!! :) CC credit is acceptable on the same level of "university classes" as long as the CC is accredited. It makes no difference where you go. I know people as well who have gone on to big time medical schools after completing most if not all of their pre reqs at a CC.

Peace

None, I didn't mean CC isn't a real college. I meant I wasn't a real college student as a sophomore in high school.

The summer after I graduated from H.School, I went to this local Comm. College... and took 3 classes... Intro. to Comp., Public Speaking, and Expository writing.. Just to improve myself.. and I had no inclination of transferring my credit... Then, I had some car trouble and got tired of taking classes.. .and I didn't work hard or anything since I was not planning to transfer...so, I have 9 hrs w/ a 2.0 GPA...

and it would be a disaster if I need to factor in this is GPA into my already not so stunning GPA, so the question is.. Do I have anyway of avoiding it..?

No, they factor everything in