1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Community College Factored In?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by BUmiken12, Jan 19, 2002.

1. BUmiken12

BUmiken12 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was just wondering if the grades from your community college are factored into your AAMCAS GPA. I've taken 20-something hours from my CC, and it'd definitely help. Thanks in advance...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Kadyra

Kadyra Will drive for music.
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

4. Sonya

Sonya Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I have a lot of courses at a community college. and then i transferred and will have a lot of courses here at WashU. anyway, my community college GPA will pull me DOWN (by maybe 0.05 to 0.1). so, would it hurt? (i didn't really know how to do well in college then)

5. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

what about cc courses taken in high school?

6. CoffeeCat

CoffeeCat SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yep, the count! Sucks for me and no one said a word in hs...I just knew that it would count for my college GPA. Bummer.

7. Premed315U

Premed315U Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I took a CC class as a sophomore in high school. Now I'm at an ivy league school. I got an A in the CC class, but would it look bad to include it on AMCAS? I have a lot of As in classes as a real college student too, so I don't think it would make much of a difference in GPA anyway. Or, is it wholly required to be put on the AMCAS? Will admissions people know that I took this CC course before entering college?
    Thank you.

8. Nanon

Nanon An urban myth.
    10+ Year Member

9. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Yes, it is completely required to include ALL college coursework. And community colleges are "real colleges." Geeze.

10. Also, remember med school ad coms most likely
    give less weight to CC grades vs. university grades.

11. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    The statment that CC credits will be given less weight by adcoms is not true. That may be the case at a few schools, but by and large, most schools care more about how you did while you were there than where you actually took your pre-reqs. There is truth to this. Email the medical schools you're interested in and ask them what their take is on CC credit. They'll tell you what I'm telling you. Why? Because I just asked them!! :) CC credit is acceptable on the same level of "university classes" as long as the CC is accredited. It makes no difference where you go. I know people as well who have gone on to big time medical schools after completing most if not all of their pre reqs at a CC.

Peace

12. Premed315U

Premed315U Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

None, I didn't mean CC isn't a real college. I meant I wasn't a real college student as a sophomore in high school.

13. Mr. 4.0

Mr. 4.0 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

The summer after I graduated from H.School, I went to this local Comm. College... and took 3 classes... Intro. to Comp., Public Speaking, and Expository writing.. Just to improve myself.. and I had no inclination of transferring my credit... Then, I had some car trouble and got tired of taking classes.. .and I didn't work hard or anything since I was not planning to transfer...so, I have 9 hrs w/ a 2.0 GPA...

and it would be a disaster if I need to factor in this is GPA into my already not so stunning GPA, so the question is.. Do I have anyway of avoiding it..?

14. Medic171

Medic171 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    No, they factor everything in