Community College Grades In DIY Post Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2ndlifedoc

Reaction score
I am just starting the non-traditional career change journey from business and am taking my first pre-req at a community college where I am getting a D+ in Chemistry 1, which will most likely end up a C. Should I take the W while I can, or take the C and do better moving forward while not having to retake the class? My undergrad GPA was a 3.107 8 years ago, but from a top school/harder major.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Take the W and assess why you are struggling in the class. Are you working full time as well? Did you not take it as seriously thinking it was easier because CC?

One W is fine but addressing the problem as to why it happened is the ultimate goal here so you can be successful when you take it again along with the other prereqs.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Take the W. I had one from a CC class that I ended up taking for an A later - never held me back.

I also echo finding out what the issue is before going further. Chem 1 is a lot more straightforward than ochem and biochemistry.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for all of the replies! Out of curiosity, would anyone's opinions change if it were a B and not a C, or if it were a C at a 4-year institution? As for why, I think I jumped into this rather hastily (while working during the day) and had to re-learn how to be a student, especially with courses that come less naturally (I think I would do better in Biology). The course was also condensed due to summer/holidays and even more so because of some covid closures. Finally, the professor is grading fairly harshly (IMO for a community college) and I actually have the second highest grade in the class from a % standpoint next to someone who was re-taking the course from a different professor. Do you find any of these "reasons" are less valid/concerning?

Last edited:
Take the W. I had one from a CC class that I ended up taking for an A later - never held me back.

I also echo finding out what the issue is before going further. Chem 1 is a lot more straightforward than ochem and biochemistry.
Take the W and assess why you are struggling in the class. Are you working full time as well? Did you not take it as seriously thinking it was easier because CC?

One W is fine but addressing the problem as to why it happened is the ultimate goal here so you can be successful when you take it again along with the other prereqs.
Take the W. You do not want a C in a required prerequisite.
Quick update, I spoke with the professor and she claims to be "optimistic" I can get a high grade (I assume B), but I am not sure if that is her saying it's possible if I personally change course (which I think is unlikely at this point), or if she will be generous with grading at the end (we do have extra credit, but I'm not sure it's bump a full letter grade EC). I guess I just need to weigh the risk of a C with the optimistic reality that she will come in to support those she deems worthy at the end of the semester given it's a small class and most people are doing poorly.

If I was in your shoes (and I was, as a nontrad with a low cGPA), I'd drop unless I could guarantee the minimum I would get was a B and then figure whatever I would have to do to consistently get As moving forward. We need to prove we can hack it academically, so we don't have much leeway.

Not sure what normal SDN etiquette is, but I wanted to update everyone. I stuck out the course and received a B. Thank you all for the guidance earlier.

Reactions: 2 users
Coming back to this thread given the start of fall. Given my struggle with Chem 1 (I snuck in that B) would you suggest I jump into another CC Chem II course at the same place with a decent rated professor (just taking that), or try Bio 1 and/or Physics 1 at a different CC with top-rated professors (on rate my professor). For personal context, I'm still working (although not full time), looking into formal post-baccs and frankly still not 1000% sure I want to/can go down this doctor path as a ~30yr old career changer. (I am very indecisive by nature). Thanks in advance!