community college pre-reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apt22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
did anyone go from a university to a CC? I attended a State university and wasted 2 years away. right now a CC is better for me (financially) plus with my husband deploying it just makes more sense right now. anyways did anyone else go through this? I know what the flip flopping will look like when I apply and Im prepared for the questioning when it comes down to it. But some positive outlook would make me feel better lol.

Everybody makes mistakes right? Hopefully when it comes time for me apply my gpa will be great and I'll do amazing on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

CC is a hard choice that only those with day job commitments or are financially disadvantaged should really do. If your goal is MD, your chances by going to a 4-year are best, but if you're open to both options, MD or DO, you should be fine with CC. Some MD schools won't care at all about CC grades, while others outright deny them. Do your research before applying. Nevertheless, the big caveat will be your performance on the MCAT. Score low and pretty much confirm the notion that only those with less capacity go this route.

did anyone go from a university to a CC? I attended a State university and wasted 2 years away. right now a CC is better for me (financially) plus with my husband deploying it just makes more sense right now. anyways did anyone else go through this? I know what the flip flopping will look like when I apply and Im prepared for the questioning when it comes down to it. But some positive outlook would make me feel better lol.

Everybody makes mistakes right? Hopefully when it comes time for me apply my gpa will be great and I'll do amazing on the MCAT.
....forward and backward never. Just kidding. I started out at CC. Transferred to 4-yrs University (private). It saved me heck a lot of $$. I also crossed-registered and took some classes at CC, however, I was still a matriculated student at the University. Did it quite a few time across multiple summers. Yeah, you would often time don't get the one-on-one attention at the University (particularly if it's a state run university) if you're struggling in a class as you would at CC or private university with smaller class size.....your grades can tipped over as a result, rolling down heel. Happen all the time. Not true. Yes, it is. Over heard the argument already. No room to debate this. Let it go! Moving on!!

CC is a hard choice that only those with day job commitments or are financially disadvantaged should really do. If your goal is MD, your chances by going to a 4-year are best, but if you're open to both options, MD or DO, you should be fine with CC. Some MD schools won't care at all about CC grades, while others outright deny them. Do your research before applying. Nevertheless, the big caveat will be your performance on the MCAT. Score low and pretty much confirm the notion that only those with less capacity go this route.

Agreed! Will add that you contact prospective schools and ask their stands on CC credits.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am still debating delving into my prereqs and starting the ball rolling towrds a dream MD, but here is what I have gathered from talking to people, this forum, and speaking with the medical school I am hoping to attend:

-Ideally, all prereqs and other courses would be taken at a reputable university.
-It's common for non trads to fulfill prereqs at a CC fot reasons you have aready mentioned.
-You must take upper level courses at a university (I would make sure you've taken plenty of upper courses)

Moral is this- do what you are able to do, but keep to the above bullet points.

I am still debating delving into my prereqs and starting the ball rolling towrds a dream MD, but here is what I have gathered from talking to people, this forum, and speaking with the medical school I am hoping to attend:

-Ideally, all prereqs and other courses would be taken at a reputable university.
-It's common for non trads to fulfill prereqs at a CC fot reasons you have aready mentioned.
-You must take upper level courses at a university (I would make sure you've taken plenty of upper courses)

Moral is this- do what you are able to do, but keep to the above bullet points.

Have the cash, not non-trad & no work commitment. Then, head-on to top-tier Colleges/University. Most MD program would accept CC while others don't. The key is working very closely with your allopathic/osteopathic program of interest. Eat with them with a more shorter spoon not longer once. :)

Have the cash, not non-trad & no work commitment. Then, head-on to top-tier Colleges/University. Most MD program would accept CC while others don't. The key is working very closely with your allopathic/osteopathic program of interest. Eat with them with a more shorter spoon not longer once. :)

Yes, money and time. Most have neither.:eek:

Yes, money and time. Most have neither.:eek:
...most do. you'll be surprised. particularly those pre-med/traditional students..dad's are doc and felt entitled/destine to become a doc as well...**** their you go again..talking down on folks that were raised with golden spoon..no you didn't. :confused: c'mon you know am just kidding..no harm intended..sorry if i hurt your feelings. we're still friends right?

money? I have none, time? barely. the Uni is over an hour away from even though there is a private college here in town. they dont have summer classes and right now 20,000 a semester is out of the question. Im only taking what I can until I get my associates then transferring to the university. Im hoping since there is a DO and MD school not even 45 minutes from and the CC is well known in this area..as in everyone and there mother takes classes there) it wont be such a big no-no. who knows though.

It is recommended to take the uni classes, but if you can't, you can't. It is what it is. It will hurt you at some schools. Enough to be not worth it? Probably not. When you are finishing at the uni, be sure to take a few upper level sciences and you should be fine.

As triage mentioned though, it becomes imparitive that you take the mcat and do well. If you do well the first time, you will likely be ok. If not, the CC quality will be questioned. Just know that so you can properly prepare for it.

I took more than half of my pre-reqs at a CC and it did not come up once at the schools I interviewed at and got into most of them. FWIW, I only applied D.O. but I don't see it coming up at allopathic programs either. Go wherever you're sure you'll get A's. An A at CC is worth more than a B at a University, not even considering the financial constraints.

Right now Im waiting on one last thing before I get a yes or no from KU about starting my UG this summer. Its an hour commute though which is why Im on the fence about going. the CC here is a 10 minute drive for me and like I said in my original post..with my husband deploying it would be easier and cheaper.

You should apply to YALE. Seriously. :thumbup: They love non-trads and they look at the whole picture rather than just grades or the name of institution that you have attended. You will most definitelly be fine with pre-reqs at your local CC as long as you can demostrate that you can handle upper level university courses. And with you being an Army wife, you will be golden. As long as you keep up with grades and MCAT as you mentioned

I've mentioned this once before, If you ace your classes and do well on the MCAT-I have yet to find a medical school that I am interested in take objection to CC classes. It is very common at my local CC since we are so far from the closest state university and private schools are like $900 plus. I've had friends go to the SUNY med schools (but I guess they can't really discriminate since its their CCs) I have had other friends go to good private medical schools-maybe not hopkins or harvard, but quality private schools. To my knowledge taking their classes at CC did not come up. One caveat, do not take 300 level courses at CC, they are meant to take you through 2 years of school. 300 levels are almost universally ignored or discredited. At the end of the day the point of the MCAT is to be the great equalizer.

I've even heard people on this forum insinuate that since Harvard is known for grade inflation that their scores might be discredited by med schools. It gets a little out of control. The way I see it is the school that can't look at my MCAT, my uGPA, and my CC completed sGPA, and see quality in my app-it's not the type of place I'd want to be. The only other thing I would say is that if your uGPA is weak it puts more strain on your MCAT and acing your pre-reqs.

In my case, I am not through the med school apps yet so I can't speak from persona experience. I will be finished with my last pre-req this May, taking the MCAT on July 6th.

Last edited: