Placing into upper div courses through self study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dantezribaldi

Reaction score
I am 7 years out of an arts undergrad in which I took no hard science and had a fairly low gpa. As I require aid for any program that goes beyond 1 or 2 cheap courses, originally I was planning on starting pre-reqs at a local CC and then at some point either applying to the one or two Postbaccs that allow Grad PLUS or an SMP once I get some courses established and some EC experience.

However, because I love self-studying so much and would prefer to accelerate the process of getting to the point of actually applying basic science to medicine, I was wondering if it might be conceivable to place into upper division courses and then take a good amount of those to form the basis for med school admission?

Obviously this is assuming I could find a program that would allow this... Shoreline in Seattle has a handful and I could try that to start maybe. But also I'm just wondering if this sounds feasible / how med school adcoms would view it? I know there is a trend towards "competency based admissions" - I wish that there were more flexible, cheap or aided paths for non-trads that helped with the red tape.

Members don't see this ad.

For many med schools you are going to need to meet some basic number of courses:
-2 terms (with labs) of general chemistry
-2 terms (with labs) of organic chemistry
-1 term of biochemistry
-2 terms of biology, covering topics in cell bio, genetics, and/or physiology (also with labs)
-2 terms of physics (with labs)
-2 terms of Math (typically in the form of 1 term of calculus+1 term of stats)
-1 term each of psychology and sociology (not necessarily required, but very helpful for the MCAT)

I don't know a lot about post-baccs but if you truly did not do any hard science I think a. you can't skip these courses and b. even if you could, it's not advisable. Hard science courses test you in many ways that other courses do not, and you'll need that to succeed and mount a competitive medical school application.

Competency based admissions just means tossing all the pre-req requirements and relying solely on the MCAT. Most applicants take the usual pre-reqs regardless, because they're still a common requirement at many schools. Think of it as herd immunity.

To do well on the MCAT most people need to take the pre-reqs and build a foundation of relevant knowledge. You're 7 years out with no hard science background and "a fairly low GPA." Not to sound harsh, but I don't see much evidence that you will breeze into upper level science courses based on self-study.

You need to just follow the typical and well-worn path of a non-traditional applicant, and in your case that means starting from the beginning at a community college. A high GPA and solid MCAT score will reassure adcoms that you are not an academic risk.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The only question I have isn't whether it's possible for me to get into upper level and pass the MCAT after self-study, it's whether I can find a school that won't care I haven't taken the pre-reqs. It seems like the answer to that is 'probably' given good grades in the small number of courses taken and high MCAT.

The only question I have isn't whether it's possible for me to get into upper level and pass the MCAT after self-study, it's whether I can find a school that won't care I haven't taken the pre-reqs. It seems like the answer to that is 'probably' given good grades in the small number of courses taken and high MCAT
Out of curiosity, what sorts of courses are you looking at taking?

The only question I have isn't whether it's possible for me to get into upper level and pass the MCAT after self-study, it's whether I can find a school that won't care I haven't taken the pre-reqs. It seems like the answer to that is 'probably' given good grades in the small number of courses taken and high MCAT.
Please keep us updated with your progress.

Reactions: 1 user