Taking Pre-Medicine Courses at Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

noelmedicine1

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would it harm my medical school application, if I completed all the pre-requisites courses at a community college? I graduated from university last spring with a bachelor’s degree in business. I understand it’s better to complete the courses at a four-year institutions but the colleges in my area are quite expensive. The college I attended charges $4,600 per course with lab, for example. Since the cost of tuition is significantly more affordable at a community college, would taking them there harm my application as a non-traditional applicant? I have a 3.2 GPA, which I understand is lower compared to typical med school applicants. Thanks.
 
No but be aware that you should take courses that transfer towards a science degree. You could take the wrong biology or anatomy course (for nursing majors). Organic chemistry and biochemistry are usually not available or transferable to universities if taken at a CC, but I can be wrong.
 
No but be aware that you should take courses that transfer towards a science degree. You could take the wrong biology or anatomy course (for nursing majors). Organic chemistry and biochemistry are usually not available or transferable to universities if taken at a CC, but I can be wrong.

What's sad is UVA (t30) / uni richmond (t20) will offer its CC students guaranteed acceptance but won't take their biochem or orgo etc.

But yeah, that's wild. I didn't even realize.

Most of the other major unis in our state will transfer the courses though. virginia has a statewide, unified and standardized CC system.
 
No but be aware that you should take courses that transfer towards a science degree. You could take the wrong biology or anatomy course (for nursing majors). Organic chemistry and biochemistry are usually not available or transferable to universities if taken at a CC, but I can be wrong.
Perhaps you are right about some programs, but my universities required the same general science bios I, II, etc, Anatomy/Phys courses, Microbiology, etc as all other undergrad. science students. So good idea to check; but the general assumption that this is always the case is very untrue. Organic Chem not so., that is true. Physics, not so that is true--only if you wanted to take them. In my view no undergrad health science programs should exclude sound chemistry and biochemistry; but I don't make the rules. Statistic, same. Algebra, same, Endless Ethics courses. Standard Economics, etc.