Community College Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mekchrious

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm at my local Community College, and the bulk of my med school prereqs will be taken there. Gen Chem, Orgo, Biology, Physics, and Math. For me personally, I'm not worried, because my teachers are tough as hell. Those who transfer to my local university absolutely kill the classes over there, and our chemistry department is actually one of the best in a decent radius of area. So I feel I will be adequately prepared for my degree (Chemical Engineering) and have the means necessary for studying for the MCAT.

Is this going to be looked down upon? I have a lot of opportunities spending a third year here at the community college, such as leadership, student government, and local health and non health based volunteer activities.

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm at my local Community College, and the bulk of my med school prereqs will be taken there. Gen Chem, Orgo, Biology, Physics, and Math. For me personally, I'm not worried, because my teachers are tough as hell. Those who transfer to my local university absolutely kill the classes over there, and our chemistry department is actually one of the best in a decent radius of area. So I feel I will be adequately prepared for my degree (Chemical Engineering) and have the means necessary for studying for the MCAT.

Is this going to be looked down upon? I have a lot of opportunities spending a third year here at the community college, such as leadership, student government, and local health and non health based volunteer activities.

This is why the mcat was invented... To see how well you know the material regardless of where you take it. As long as you know the material and that is represented by your mcat score, I doubt admins will care about where you took the class.

You'd have to transfer to a 4-year anyways to get a degree.
I would recommend taking orgo and physics at your Uni.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a lot of hate towards community colleges on here.

I too started at a good one and boy can I tell you my coursework there in the sciences was far, far more rigorous than anything I encountered where I transferred to (one of the better UCs). Must be because the profs at CC care about teaching and not what they can dump on their TAs and when their next meeting is hah.

BUT unfortunately there are crappy CCs where showing up gets you an A and it seems EVERYONE in academia projects that to ALL of them. Basically once you transfer you MUST do better than you did in CC and kill your mcat. My PI grudgingly concedes that my CC must have been good because my mcat score was so good. It is an uphill battle unfortunately but oh well. Not all of us knew we wanted to be doctors in sophomore year of high school.

Community college transfer student alumni here. Took all of my pre-reqs except physics at the local CC.

Continue to do well when you transfer and it should not be an issue. Also like Johnny and benzo stated, destroy the MCAT, but that should be a given no matter what institution you come from. Some may argue that you have more to prove coming from a CC - use it as your motivation.