Community college student, need some guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikal99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Long time lurker, first time poster.

This is my third year and final semester at a California CC. I am most likely going to get admitted into a UC for Fall 2013. I will be complete with all medical school pre-reqs by this Spring except organic 2 and biochem. My AMCAS GPA stands at 3.5, bcpm gpa is 3.2. They are low because of one fail which I made up with a B, otherwise all my grades are either A's or B's. I only see my gpa going up from here.

I was planning on taking my MCAT this September and applying for next years cycle. I have a light Spring schedule and an open summer to study for the MCAT. Since I'm a transfer student, only 1 year of grades will be available from the university I transfer to when I apply. Will that be a problem? Am I jumping the gun too early or am I on track with this schedule?

Interested in what people have to say about this, thanks in advance for the help :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all. Long time lurker, first time poster.

This is my third year and final semester at a California CC. I am most likely going to get admitted into a UC for Fall 2013. I will be complete with all medical school pre-reqs by this Spring except organic 2 and biochem. My AMCAS GPA stands at 3.5, bcpm gpa is 3.2. They are low because of one fail which I made up with a B, otherwise all my grades are either A's or B's. I only see my gpa going up from here.

I was planning on taking my MCAT this September and applying for next years cycle. I have a light Spring schedule and an open summer to study for the MCAT. Since I'm a transfer student, only 1 year of grades will be available from the university I transfer to when I apply. Will that be a problem? Am I jumping the gun too early or am I on track with this schedule?

Interested in what people have to say about this, thanks in advance for the help :)

This sounds very similar to my situation, I had a few university classes from ~10 years before, but after that my most recent coursework was from a CC and only 1 year back at university when I applied. Granted, at the end of that year back at the university, I graduated with my BS and then applied the following month. Also, my GPA < your GPA.

I would definitely call a few of the schools you are interested in applying to and see what they have to say.

I frankly do not think it will be a problem unless your performance at the UC differs significantly from your performance at the CC. I know this may not be true most of the time, but academically, CCs are seen to be less rigorous than say, a UC curriculum. As long as you're able to show that this isn't the case, you should be ok. I was kind of in your situation. I transferred from a CC to a university setting and my first quarter was not stellar. Come second quarter, I adjusted to the new environment and made up for my lackluster performance during the first quarter. Just keep an upward momentum and you should be fine. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I frankly do not think it will be a problem unless your performance at the UC differs significantly from your performance at the CC. I know this may not be true most of the time, but academically, CCs are seen to be less rigorous than say, a UC curriculum. As long as you're able to show that this isn't the case, you should be ok. I was kind of in your situation. I transferred from a CC to a university setting and my first quarter was not stellar. Come second quarter, I adjusted to the new environment and made up for my lackluster performance during the first quarter. Just keep an upward momentum and you should be fine. Good luck!

Thanks for the input. When did you take your mcat and apply?

Thanks for the input. When did you take your mcat and apply?

Took it on April 13th 2011 and applied immediately that June. Submitted my AACOMAS application on June 4th and my AMCAS application on June 6th.

Took it on April 13th 2011 and applied immediately that June. Submitted my AACOMAS application on June 4th and my AMCAS application on June 6th.

Was that the summer immediately after your first year at a four year university?

Was that the summer immediately after your first year at a four year university?

Actually, no, sorry, I was mistaken. I took the MCAT on April 13, 2012. I finished my post-bacc on June 2011. So from 2007-2009 I took classes at a CC, then from 2009 to 2011 I took classes at a university. After my program, I took a year off to get everything set straight. Was working full-time, and so found it a bit difficult to study for the MCAT, so I studied every now and then for about 5-6 months. I applied June 2012.