Community College transfer to 4-year...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dancingwiththedocs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all helpers!
I'm finishing up my first year of CC this May. It is a great CC, and the science/math classes don't mess around. My GPA is 3.77 so far and hopeful that at the end of this school year I'll keep it that way or raise it.

Anyway, I have a question about when to take MCAT and apply? I will be transferring to a 4 year university in the Spring of 2019 as a Junior (planning on getting my Associates before transferring). Should I take a 6 month "gap year?"
I want to take the MCAT early but I also want to make sure I do well the first time. lol! I won't have taken physics or biochem by the time I transfer....

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Take the MCAT no later than April of the year in which you intend to apply to medical school. This ensures you get your score back (it takes about a month) in plenty of time to make sure it's solid before you commit to that year's application cycle.

Don't take it before you've finished the necessary pre-reqs, and don't take it until you are scoring well on practice exams. All attempts at the real exam will be visible to adcoms (unless you void the score at the end of the exam).

Take the MCAT no later than April of the year in which you intend to apply to medical school. This ensures you get your score back (it takes about a month) in plenty of time to make sure it's solid before you commit to that year's application cycle.

Don't take it before you've finished the necessary pre-reqs, and don't take it until you are scoring well on practice exams. All attempts at the real exam will be visible to adcoms (unless you void the score at the end of the exam).

Okay, thank you!
Do you know where a diagnostic test is available? Or is the diagnostic test the free practice test on the AAMC website?

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, thank you!
Do you know where a diagnostic test is available? Or is the diagnostic test the free practice test on the AAMC website?

I took the MCAT in the old era, so unfortunately I'm not up to date on what's available for new materials. Plenty of info in the SDN MCAT forums though. Good luck to you.

Next Step diagnostic tests seem to be the best one out there. I would hold off on the AAMC practice test until a month before your real test because it's the only practice test that will give you an accurate MCAT score. You really want to take the MCAT in between January and April of the year you are going to apply. You don't want to take it too early because you don't want the test scores to expire if you need to reapply.